Home General Discussion

Too old?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
So, here's a question that I've been pondering for a while, how old is too old to enter the games industry? Back story is I'm 30 and about to hit 31 at the end of the year, however I am determined to make it into the games industry, but was wondering if age counted against someone who was starting out?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Nope, doesn't matter so long as you have the skills.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    As long as you have the passion and will, your age does not matter. I would not even consider a person in his early 30's to be old, let alone "too old". I saw some aspiring artists aged 50 and over just starting out in this field! Try telling them that you're "too old" for the game industry.
  • Saman
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the touchy-feely politically correct answer is: No, you're never too old! Get out your copy of mudbox, grandma!

The more realistic answer is: It sort of depends. As you get older, I think it definitely becomes more difficult to break into the industry without any experience.

Lets face it, entry level positions in the games industry are often low-paid positions that are known to involve a LOT of hours. Younger people are going to be more willing and able to fill these rolls. As a 31 year old dude, you can do it, but you need to have the dedication, energy and willingness to produce as a starry-eyed 18-24 year old kid.

Your relevant experience also is a huge factor. Have your worked in 3d? Work in computer graphics at all? A lot of younger kids looking to get into the industry have been doing 3d art and game art since their teens. I think the older generation is going to have a little tougher time both picking it all up, and staying current with the rapidly evolving array of workflows and technology that goes into modern game creation.

To put it in perspective, I've been working on 3d art since I was about 15, I'm about 27 now but that's 12 years of experience, even though I'm 4 years younger than you. This isn't to say at 31 you can't do it, but just to give you an idea as to what you're up against.

In addition to that, some of the most talented guys I know right now are in the 18-22 range, and they pick stuff up and seemingly produce and improve at a faster rate than I myself ever did. Generally, as we get older our aptitude or ability to quickly learn new skills degrades, so if you're really starting from square one, it could be an up hill battle.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

By Steve Jobs.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your only too old when you have arthritis and can't pick up a pencil or wacom pen anymore.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    TOO OLD!!! (logan's run style)

but yeah that other thread was good. You're only as old as you feel and junk (just be prepared to earn less money if you jump into an entry level spot like eq said). Had an enviro guy at my last studio who was older than you, and few others that were 30 or a bit over.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet polycounter lvl 12
    I'm 27 (same as the example in the other linked thread) and honestly being too old hasn't taken up much thought. I consider this question of being too old as just another way for me to talk myself out of improving. It could too easily become an excuse for me so I try not to consider it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I just did it. I started here at 31, I'm now 32, entry level games industry character newb.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 21 right now. I was 20 when I got my first contract work, and now I'm working on Depth. I believe I am the youngest on the team. To be honest, I have often worried about the exact opposite, that I'm too young, considering how stupid most people my age seem to act. I'd say mid twenties through upper thirties is like the perfect time to get in, so I really don't think you should worry.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I have often worried about the exact opposite, that I'm too young

Same here. Everyone else in the office was near their 30's.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Just remember the average game career is less then 5 years. You may have to move around the country many times to find jobs, you maybe laid off after game ships, etc.. etc.. if it still sounds appealing then go for it. It's rewarding I had fun doing it for a few years but I went back to IT, as I saw the game I was working on dying and I was going to get canned and my wife has a great job so I figured it was better for me to go back to IT, instead of trying to find another job locally, since 4 or 5 game studios closed in my area in the last couple of years and the market is saturated with folks willing to get paid less and have more skills then myself. :)

Your milage may vary.. :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    When you get old your priorities change.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for your replies guys, really inspiring and informative - guess I was worrying over nothing.

Goraaz - Thanks for the link. Totally missed that thread, apologies for duplicating - Teejay seems to have exactly the same worries and has voiced them perfectly.

Earthquake - thanks for the insight. I've been doing 3D art since 2001 and had a gig as a freelance 3D artist so 3D isn't a new thing, although I've only been doing 3D for games as self-directed study for a couple of years. My priorities have changed but only in the direction that I want to do what I love for a living - money and hours kind of seem secondary to that.

Would appear that there is a misconception that you need to enter the industry at a young age, tbh when I tell people that I'm studying to get into the games industry the usual response is "but that's a boys job..."

Seriously guys, thanks for all your replies
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    31? Pfft, that's not too old for anything. I'm about to hit 30, and after nearly 5 years in the industry I'm about to ship my first title. I'm certainly not too old!
    I've worked with people 10 years my senior and 10 years my junior. I've never really thought age defined anything in this industry. Hell, if anything, being older might garner you more initial respect/trust than someone younger.

If you have the skills, dedication, and passion... there should be no problem. Good luck!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis wrote: »
    Earthquake - thanks for the insight. I've been doing 3D art since 2001 and had a gig as a freelance 3D artist so 3D isn't a new thing, although I've only been doing 3D for games as self-directed study for a couple of years. My priorities have changed but only in the direction that I want to do what I love for a living - money and hours kind of seem secondary to that.

Yeah cool, I think this makes a MASSIVE difference. If you've got 10ish years experience working with 3d art, that is a huge plus. Now you've just gotta put in the time and effort to get your work up to an industry level, and make some connections. Polycount is an excellent place to do both.

My best advice to you is: Post, post post! and then post some more! Start a new project, post wips, get feedback, impliment said feedback, post some more. Post in other people's threads, give them feedback, make relationships etc. This is commonly referred to as atending "Polycount University" and it is an excellent way to get into the industry. Even if you're not getting a lot of interest in your work, keep posting, a few times a week with new work if you can.

Its all about getting your name out there, getting your work out there and showcasing your work ethic and your willingness and desire to improve your work.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The only thing that can be too old is your portfolio. In the US at least it's illegal to consider age for employment.

Besides you'd be a young'en at Robot. I'm 30 and one of the youngest on the art team. The average age is about 36.

I've been in the industry since 19, so I'm grizzled beyond my years.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    When you thin out the herd with age..
    It's best not to F#ck with the last men still standing.

During art school I had a professor tell me 90% of us would not be painting in ten years.
    ( even back then, it was easy enuff to see that some wore the mantle like a fashion accessory rather than the affliction it is )

Nice thing about being 46 is the illusions you have lost. And what you have become is way past commitment.

I will do art till I am dead.
    I will put art before my unhappy women.
    I will never marry.
    I will never have any children.
    I will put art before family.
    If I do put God first, I prey for art's sake.
    I will not go out tonight for drinks.
    I will not have any fun.
    I do not play video games for fun. ( even if it is enjoyable most of the time? )
    And if there is no pay I will happily wash dishes/flip burgers and still work on my own projects full time.
    Same thing everyday since I was 5 ( consumed with this art thing for 41 years ).

Did have a lot of positive discouragement in college though to prepare me.
    Besides going to "Disney college" there wasn't any industries in the early eighties hiring artists like today. Even graphic designers were suggested to leave all hope behind for employment and a future. ( all the artists I knew and looked up to were penniless )
    Even though the market has changed and employment for creative people is a zillion times better there are still all the crunchy downsides one has to suffer? ( how many years can one last? )

Compared to a young person with his whole life ahead of him?
    Come sit next to me...
    stay a while. and listen.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gonna derail this ever so slightly, but there's something i've been thinking about a lot lately.
    claydough wrote:
    I will do art till I am dead.
    I've heard a lot about the graphics design and comic book careers being ones you in essence stick with for life. Is it possible to work "forever"; in the game industry? In an industry with such a strong reputation for burning out their workers, when are you too old to keep working in games? for the record, i'm like 12 or something.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Go for it, buddy. It'll be hard as fuck and it will hardly make you rich, but if it's what you love, then you'll get more out of it then most people from their 9-5 100k+ jobs.

good luck. post some art:)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    claydough, don't be so hard on yourself, you can still have a career and a life:)
    I am 43 and enjoy it more now than I did 10 years ago.
    I actually find it easier to pick up new things now than I used to. Suppose experience counts for a lot, those countless hours tweaking verts etc.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really interesting, cheers guys. Righto - off to work some butt off and post progress soon.
    Thanks!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Most of the people on my team are in their 30s & 40s and have families. I think I'm the 2nd youngest in the company at 25.

If you really want to persue any career, I'd say 10 years would be a good goal if you really love it. That'd put you in your mid 40s, which is still fine. You can work until your 60s at a job like this since it doesn't require crazy physical labor.

Of course, by then, you'll probably be much higher up in the food chain.