Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone have any critique?
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    adding more details to the road would really help (puddles, scattered garbage and papers etc), making the alley look more like an alley would really help the composition (thinning it out so that the parking lot is just a thin road in between the buildings. In alot of the shots, the lighting could be rotated so that they aren't entirely in shadow. Making a car or something so that your eyes have a specific point to look at in the shots would really help. Right now there isn't really one thing that draws your attention. The angles of the shot don't push you to look at any one thing in particular. Good start though :)
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think about ways to breakup the tiling textures all around... decals, blends, anything to get rid of patterning. The value range is pretty strong overall, but could be pushed more. For example, the red brick 3 story building's trim could be slightly brighter or darker than the wall so it pops out and doesn't get lost. The small retaining wall next to the parking lot shares a similar value and noise level with the street, and that could be addressed to separate those a bit. Also, the air duct on that 3 story brick building being red isn't helping at all. It should be very distinctly different from any color there in order to make it pop. I'd suggest grayish, and just let the materials continue to create contrast.
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not looking too shabby. One thing that pops out at me, is that your grime is coming across a little too dark. Its reaching black pretty easily. And other said, start breaking up the repetitive brick with some decals. graffiti works great for this.
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would agree that your buildings need decals and blends so there isn't a consistent brick colour throughout the whole building. I know you are following a concept, so what I'm about to recommend is entirely up to you. This looks like a ghetto type of ally you're going for, so I think adding some spray paints decals and maybe some window bars in the lower windows, maybe a few broken windows to give the scene more depth. sometimes you gotta add items that aren't in the photos if you want to maximze your scene's interest. so far you have done a great job, all that is left is just touch ups! :)