Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Gladiator Style Character

The_hobbyist
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
The_hobbyist polycounter lvl 17
This is a gladiator char I am working on.

Comments and critics are welcome.

High poly in Mudbox

Final_big.jpg

Base Mesh in Maya

gladiatorBaseMesh.jpg

Replies

• imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not able to determine if you were going for a stylized or realistic model. However, in either scenario I would suggest hit up some anatomy books or online sites (if you haven't already been doing so!). The body structure is definitely there, but everything feels somewhat disproportionate or "off". Try to even out topology more, as right now your poly flow feels pretty uneven. That should help give the character a more natural flow. The low poly ear looks good. However, the high poly ear sculpting seems to have some strange details that don't conform to what human ears look like. It might just be hard to tell since it's not a close up shot. Keep going, this is definitely progress!
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you are right.

The upper legs looks a bit disorted but I did not recon anyone would notice.
    I also had a pretty vague idea of how the muscles on the lower arms flow.

The ear pice got a bit thin when suddividing in mudbox.

I repost a fix tomorrow. thanks for your input
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you're going for something stylized, so I'll try not to harp on this too much, but I tend to nerd out about swords, so I may still wind up overly verbose on the topic.

The hilt looks good (though, I'd suggest if you're going for a sword resembling a Roman gladius, you could afford to exaggerate the size of the pommel. They were rather notable for their large pommels). However, the blade looks rather dull and squared off. When I search for images of a gladius hispaniensis, I do find a few with straighter edges like yours, but I gotta say the versions where the tip flares out slightly and there's that gentle curve running along the edge are just so much prettier.

Regardless of style, I think you definitely need to get the edges a little sharper and the central axis of the blade a bit thicker. I'd go with a nice, hard edge along the central axis in place of the channel for blood that you've got. I didn't see that feature in any gladii that showed up in my Google image search.
    Gladius.jpg
    440673820_CuyFR-L.jpg
  • imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The upper legs looks a bit disorted but I did not recon anyone would notice.
    I also had a pretty vague idea of how the muscles on the lower arms flow.

Look at lots of arm reference as you work on those arms. It'll help you correlate what your sculpting with what you're seeing. If not right away, over time.
    The ear pice got a bit thin when suddividing in mudbox.

To my knowledge, whenever you subdivide topology on a mesh, it tends to shrink. You have to "grow" it back by manipulating parts of the hires mesh with your brush if the size it became isn't to your liking.
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My base mesh was pretty lousy so I could not do any clean sculpting.

Had to remodeled it in Maya, rerouted some edgeloops and added some around the main muscles.

gladiatorPolyPost.jpg

Yes you where right it is a gladius. I added a ditch for blood in middle which is not historical correct, but think it will look cool once I texture it.

Hmm maybe it do look nicer to have a curved blade instead of my flat. Here is a close up on it.

gladiatorSwordPolyF.jpg

It got a very sligth curve on it.

I also got some questions.

Do you guys skin and pose it in Maya or in Mudbox?
    Shall I divide it in Maya before export to Mudbox (like hands, skull and rest)?
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey you're off to a great start with this piece. But i think a couple of tweaks will really help. Lowering the brow will help alot and it'll lose that surprised look hes got at the moment. The head also has a square..ish look to it. Try smoothing out the corners a bit.

The elbow area needs smoothing out as well. Take a look at the muscles groups and silhouette of this images to get a better idea.
    muscle_chart_arm.gif
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I think he is pretty ready for mudbox again.
    This I have done (in red)

Rounded up his skull
    Studied closly anatomy and did all edgeflows according to the muscles (red lines)
    Tried to get a more even poly flow over the model.

gladiatorPolyPost2.jpg
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is how he looks now.

Still got hands and a bit more detail in the head to do.
    gladiatorPolyPost3-1.jpg
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    its a bit better but i still see alot of mistake heres some that i can see.
    forearm/biceps proportion are off and connection i wrong. the tricep we dont see very well but it loooks like the tricep is wrong if i assume that you sculpted it like you did on the basemesh.foot looks small too. bicepts connect more under the arm pit.i think the abs section is abit large.
    im not a pro but im pretty sure about those :D
    reference is the key and try to understand how the muscle works.
    and a picture frome behind would be good too
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You where right about the ab and feet. I do belive that the biceps is pretty right. I post my ref images for the model also.

Lowered the chest muscles, shorter arms and longer feet
    gladiatorPolyPost4.jpg

I used this as referende for biceps and torso

anatomi.jpg
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I am finished with this char.

Added underware
    Detail on head
    Detail on feet and hands.