Home General Discussion

Anybody here belong to the Directory of Illustration?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
system404 polycounter lvl 17
Is anybody here part of the Directory of Illustration? I wanted to find an artist perspective on them. I am about to go freelance and I don't know how much help an agency will do. I'm questioning whether the cost outweighs the benefits?

Replies

• joannsartadvice
    "I have known Jo Ann Miller for many years. Several years ago, she introduced me to the Directory of Illustration and pointed out its virtues. I have an overarching promotion and advertising program and I decided in 2011 to dip my foot in the Directory's book and online platform. I told Jo Ann that, in all candor, this would be an experiment for our group and, if it produced results, I would re-up for 2012. In point of fact, it has. I am pleased with the results and I am looking forward to bigger and better projects in the coming years. I would recommend to my fellow artists and agents to give the Directory of Illustration a try. You won't be disappointed.”

Richard Solomon, Artists Representative

"We began marketing our artists with The Directory of Illustration three years ago taking a substantial block of pages, knowing that each artist would prefer the ample space to effectively represent their work. This was one of the best decisions we made and we've continued with this approach each year. The combination of glossy art book, multiple websites and the publisher's excellent efforts to directly target potential clients, has given our artists the quality of global exposure they want in today's globalmarketplace."
    Debut Art, Andrew Coningsby

“The illustration market has been assaulted by microstock and royalty free imagery over the past five years, forcing the best of artists to re-evaluate their marketing plans for survival. In this critical environment, the obvious choice for me and the artists I represent is the Directory of Illustration based on its proven superior ability year after year to attract high quality – high paying assignments.”
    David Goldman, David Goldman Agency

"After spending years on the fence about whether to take out a page in the Directory of Illustration, I finally took the leap in 2010. Within two months of distribution, I started getting inquiries from top ad agencies in the pharmaceutical and banking industries, major apparel companies and editorial publications that were off the radar of my mailing list subscription. By years’ end I've earned enough from jobs gained directly through the book to pay for my page many times over -- I could kick myself for waiting so long to do this! I now consider the Directory a significant element of my multi-pronged approach to marketing myself. My experience disproved all of my worries about cost and whether Art Directors are looking at printed directories anymore."

Amy DeVoogd, Illustrator

"My wife, Eve Steccati, and I are both illustrators. For many years, we have been advertising in the Directory of Illustration to market our work. At the beginning of the year, I decided not to do print advertising, but instead send out emails and direct mail. However, I was bombarded with jobs for 15 large illustrations. It turned out that those jobs were linked directly to my print advertising in the Directory of Illustration, their web site and my online portfolio. I quickly decided to advertise in the Directory of Illustration again." (Eve just finished a major map project.)
    Ron Tanovitz, Illustrator

"In the year I waited for my ad to appear in the printed book, I got two national accounts as clients through the DOI website alone, which more than paid for my DOI ad. I've been nothing but impressed with the professionalism and service that the Directory has provided, and I look forward to continuing my relationship with them."
    Greg Hardin, Illustrator
  • joannsartadvice
    Partial List of companies that hire from the Directory of Illustration:

Adidas
    A & E Television
    American Express
    AOL
    AT&T
    Bank of America
    Barnes & Noble
    Bayer
    BMI Music
    Burger King
    Carnegie Museum
    Children’s Television Workshop
    Common Health
    Corona Beer
    Discovery Channel Television
    eBay
    ELLE Magazine
    Environmental Defense Fund
    Esquire
    Fisher-Price
    Harper Collins
    Hasbro
    Health Net
    Houghton-Mifflin
    Hyatt Hotels
    Intel
    Interstate Battery
    Leap Frog
    Los Angeles Times
    Lucasfilm
    Macintosh
    Macworld
    Macy’s
    Mattel Toys
    McDonald’s
    McGraw-Hill
    MGM Grand Hotel
    Microsoft
    Miller Beer
    National Geographic
    National Public Radio
    Nestle
    New York Times
    Nickelodeon
    Kimberly Clark
    Oxford University Press
    Papyrus
    Paramount Pictures
    Penguin Books
    PEP Boys
    Pepsi
    Pizza Hut
    Playboy
    Publix
    Ralston-Purina
    Random House
    Rodale Press
    Scholastic
    Sheraton Hotels
    Simon & Schuster
    State of Florida Lottery
    Taco Bell
    3M Company
    Timex
    T. Rowe Price
    Toyota
    Tyson Foods
    U.S. News & World Report
    VH1
    Vanity Fair
    Volkswagen
    Volvo
    Wall Street Journal
    Walt Disney Company
    Wells Fargo
    Westin Hotels
    Wired Magazine
    Wonder Bread
    World Wildlife Fund
    Ziff Davis Media
  • system404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    system404 polycounter lvl 17
    yes, thanks for that. I saw that info on the site.

I was an art director at a game company, and I was constantly searching for talent through internet forums and such. I understand as an illustrator that a printed book might get me a different kind of exposure.

Anyways I did find some useful info elsewhere. thanks again.