Home Technical Talk

TF2 - About Modeling.

Hello everyone.
This is my first time posting here, even though I use to come here a lot.
I'm pretty sure that what I'm going to ask you has been posted a thousand times yet, but I feel that I have to ask for your help right now.

As you may know, VALVe introduced a "Steam Workshop" for TF2 modeling, and me and a friend want to be part of it. We have a bunch of ideas, but we don't know how to model. I searched for TF2 modeling tutorials all over the Internet, to no avail.

That's why I want to ask you a few questions on how to model weapons and hat for TF2.
1- Which one is the best, Maya (Autodesk Maya 2012 x64) or Blender (2.59)? I'm not talking about the price here, just in terms of performance / ease of use.
2- How can I find tutorials mainly about TF2 modeling ? By that I mean, not focused on "how to model", but on "how to model for TF2".

According to Valve, here are the steps of modeling:
  1. Concept: Come up with a good idea in words. Trust us, this is the hardest part.
  2. Design: Draw in 2D or 3D what it will actually look like.
  3. Model: Using a 3D program, create the clean polygon model that will actually be in the game.
  4. Pelt: Unwrap the 3D model like a bearskin rug (UVs) so you can texture map it.
  5. Paint: Using your UVs as a guide, pick a color. Paint a color. Repeat.
  6. Skin: Bind the model to a joint for articulation.
  7. Compile: Use itemtest and don’t forget to make an LOD!
  8. Test: Load the itemtest map and look at your item on the character.
  9. Publish: Upload it to the steam workshop!

We could really use help on steps 3 to 8.

I'll edit this post alongside, and hopefully in a few months, we will be proud to be part of this community and present you some of our creations.
Thanks for listening !

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ash_Grey wrote: »
    1- Which one is the best, Maya (Autodesk Maya 2012 x64) or Blender (2.59)? I'm not talking about the price here, just in terms of performance / ease of use.
    That's really up to you and which is more comfortable for you to use. Personally I'm a max user with a good dose of maya expereince. I used Maya to create a bunch of props for my TF2 map and it went all right but I ended up exporting from max since I couldn't find a .smd exporter for maya. If neither maya or blender export smd's you'll need to find an alterative since neither will allow you to output models =/ Maybe something is out there for each... I haven't looked. But from my expereince I would say 3dsmax has everything you need plus ease of use.
    2- How can I find tutorials mainly about TF2 modeling ? By that I mean, not focused on "how to model", but on "how to model for TF2".
    It's the same really... if you know how to model a chair the same skills apply to modeling a chair for TF2. You might need to apply stylistic guidelines and keep to the theme and existing details that are already established but there isn't a new set of tools or a new workflow. The only thing that is different is exporting the models, getting them compiled and in game... which for a long time was a nightmare task. I haven't checked out their new workshop stuff so maybe its gotten easier... maybe...

We could really use help on steps 3 to 8.
    That's all pretty standard stuff, any modeling, Unwrapping tutorials will teach you what you need to know. It doesn't matter if they are working on a box, a car or a tree you'll get the basics so you don't need tutorials on "how to model a TF2 gun" you just need "how to model" tutorials. Most of the major 3D packages come with great resources and tutorials built in, I know max does, F1 is how I learned and continue to learn to use the app. Maya is pretty much the same way and once you broaden your search the web is full of how to and beginner guides that teach all different kinds of things.

What will really help is probably digging through TF2 models and getting a sense for how they where laid out, how many polygons where used and how they where unwrapped.

A while ago I de-compiled all the TF2 player models (.obj, fbx and .tga) and a bunch of the TF2 weapons.

I also put together a pack of props (78 .mdl files for use in source) that I created for CTF_Laynedecker, things like planes, generators, fish, ice blocks, boxes, crates, smokestacks, a tugboat, a bridge, a crane bla bla bla bla... which might be useful to take a look at.

I also put together a separate larger pack of the source files for the props pack, which are the original max files and .obj's .fbx .psd .qc .tga .vmt .vtf files used to create the final output.

There are also a lot of custom models of variously quality floating around on sites like TF2maps.net and FPSBanna.
  • El Burritoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the insight Mark.

Can you point me to some tutorials on compiling an mdl and binding it to a bone?
  • Ash_Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for answering Mark, I will take a look at 3DSMAX then.

What I meant by "TF2 modeling" is:
    How do I make sure my hat - weapon is up to scale ?
    And does a hat model automatically gets adjusted to the character's heads ?

Even if I manage to make my first hat model in a few weeks, how can I make sure it's right where it should be on the grid ?
  • Noors
  • El Burritoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Noors!

Got my first hat out of modo and onto my character in the game already!
  • Ash_Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »

Mad props to you Noors, that seems perfect.
  • El Burritoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate to keep asking questions, but I'm a little lost on how to actually bind things to the character. If it's a hat, that's easily done through itemtest. But what about extra decorators or weapons?
  • tristanl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate to keep asking questions, but I'm a little lost on how to actually bind things to the character. If it's a hat, that's easily done through itemtest. But what about extra decorators or weapons?

i agree with the burrito :)