Home Technical Talk

[C4D R12] Blurry light baking, why?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
Dear Polycounters,
I have a beach racetrack for marbles, with a rather big texture on it. Since it's for a mobile game, I decided to bake GI and shadows into the racetrack texture itself (the UVW has no tiling areas, so it's ok). I used the Bake Object command.

The bake went fine, but... The result is not as detailed as the original texture, even if the bake is at the same size of that.

Here's a comparsion of the same area:
BakeProblem.jpg

What's causing this? Is there a possible solution to fix it?
I don't want to leave the texture this blurry, because it's is very noticeable when in game.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    does changing the supersampling settings do anything for you? is the texture map exactly the same size? are you preserving uvs or creating new ones?
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Ged wrote: »
    does changing the supersampling settings do anything for you? is the texture map exactly the same size? are you preserving uvs or creating new ones?

Actually I have Supersampling to 0, otherwise it takes forever to render (my machine is slow). Texture map is exactly the same size, and I'm preserving my original uvs.

Anyways, I'm going to try a render with Supersampling 3, and see what happens...

EDIT: gosh, in the end I baked it with SS1, and It took 23 minutes witouth even baking AO, with the lowest GI settings. Result is identical, blurry.

Since with SS3 it rendered only 1/3 of the first pass (diffuse map) in about fifteen minutes, and since I have to do something like 30 bakes... I guess I'm going to find another way.

I'm thinking to bake the GI with a monochrome texture (light grey) and then apply the resulting map on the original track texture, with Photoshop... This should work well, since I have not to worry about crisp details of the track.