Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Axe Gun WIP

Hello poly count. this is my first upload to the forum and I just wanted some feedback on my axe gun. still a wip. any tips/advice would be appreciated.

[IMG][/img]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7573/renderdg.jpg
[IMG][/img]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4895/hamerwireframe.jpg
[IMG][/img]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9342/hammercloseup.jpg
[IMG][/img]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2438/wireframen.jpg

5745 polys. if you want some more images let me know. thanks pc :)

um... not sure why i cant make the img tags work... can anyone help me out? I cant attach a file becuase it just says upload failed.

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    it goes link

the gun design looks pretty neat. modeling isnt bad. textures need work. you need to define the materials instead of having them just look like a colored game mesh. the details in the wood are very unapparent and the metal doesnt really look like metal at all. can you post up your texture sheets? and as of now that blade doesnt look very sharp at all.
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the hammer
    hammertexture.jpg

the body
    newbodytexture.jpg

the second one is a bit messy i know but there isnt any overlapping wireframes.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why does the hammer have its own UV sheet?!?! in general your UVs need to be packed closer together. you shouldnt have that much empty space. you also want to avoid having any sort of lighting painted into this except for shadows from ambient occlusion. if you want this to be more of a painterly model then its ok to have some areas simulating light hitting the object but if you're going for something next gen you need to have the specific maps to take care of lighting information. id suggest checking out this tutorial for getting your materials defined.

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i gave the hammer its own uv sheet because i wouldnt have had enough room to have both the hammer and the body on one unwrap, and be able to paint on details. made sense to me lol
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah. absolutely not. the hammer is such a tiny piece. to give it its own 1024x1024 is absolutely ridiculous. you can fit all of that into one texture (1024^2) easily.
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but would that make it a lot harder to paint details on it? and it would come out pretty pixelated woudnt it?
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    the details you'd be painting on a 1024 map for that hammer piece would be too small to see. Game art has some rules you need to follow. Weapons need to stay on one map. You have to figure out a way to give each piece the texture space it needs on one map. Some pieces you will find don't need much space at all, some need more. But keep in mind how big this weapon will be seen as, what details are most important and the rules of the gaming world! You should be able to fit everything on a 1024 map just fine :)
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    I've got a short stroke when I saw your textures dude... You've dedicated every piece of this gun its own UV space and all you did with it is just fill in some monotone grey colour and splashed some stains on it. I agree with what was said above. But in your case, not only you should be able to fit everything on 1 1024x1024 sheet, but 1 512x512. Tile similar pieces UVs on top of each other (metal with metal, wood with wood). There should be no excuses, since I don't see any normal maps utilized...
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Alex3d wrote: »
    Tile similar pieces UVs on top of each other.

No. This makes no sense because you're telling him this for the wrong reasons. The problem is not that he's using unique textures - it's that his texturing skills aren't good enough to get the most out of those unique textures. Sure, he could mirror some things here and there and arrange his islands better, so his UVing isn't perfect - but that's not his biggest problem.

ranger_park:
    You seem to be spending the most of your budget - both polygons and texture - on where you've spent the most effort. This is not how it works - well, it partially is. I can understand you're proud of how the hammer piece looks, as it's a complex part to model and you've obviously spent most of your time on it.

But, I don't care about how proud you are. I care about how good it looks in a game, and your pride has nothing to do with that. These are things that do affect the in-game looks:
    -size of the object on screen (larger = more polygons & more texture)
    -complexity of the object (more complex = more polies, but texture usually stays the same.)
    -importance of the object (if it's only going to be seen for a split second, it can be pretty ugly)

Like polygons and texture space, you should also budget your time. Spend the most effort where it gets the most results. But you seem to not have divided your time well, and spent a disproportionately large amount of time on the hammer, it ends up looking the nicest, and you want to display it the best. But this comes at the cost of the rest, the largest shapes, the most visible elements, in proportion they get less time, less texture space and less polygons than they should.

Now, the hammer IS more detailed than the rest of the model, I'll give you that - but it's also far smaller than say, the axe. Take a look at one of the screws, and compare that with the axehead. The screws are around 600~750 triangles apiece, so around 1800 for the three. The axehead seems to be only around 250~300 triangles, yet is a similarly round shape. Now look at your render - which one takes up more space? Is it worth devoting a third of your entire budget to three tiny circles of about 10x10 pixels? Hint: it's not.

To summarize: you need to learn to balance your budget, both the technical specs and the time you spend on a certain piece.

On to other matters: your technical skills are not up to such a detailed model yet. I feel you're rushing in too fast, and trying to achieve AAA-level first person models right at the start. I highly suggest kicking it back a notch, and using lower specifications for your first models. Why? Because less polygons means:
    -you have less to 'control' so it feels less overwhelming
    -each polygon and pixel you change has a larger effect, so you can A work faster and B feel better what each change does
    -you have less polygons in total, so you've got to think more about where to spend them. This is super effective to learn about the budgeting I mentioned above.

Aside from that, keep in mind that very few people get to make 'hero' models that are on screen at large scale and for long duration. So you'll be more likely to work on XYZ enemy gun, or JKL environmental prop - which of course get a much smaller budget. And then still, you're likely to enter the business via a smaller studio, that works on smaller budgets, and which often aim for slightly older PC's to reach a larger audience.

So, as harsh as it may seem, I'm going to advise you to remodel this thing from square 1. Don't aim for 5000 triangles, 1000 should be plenty. Don't use 2048x1024, a 512² is enough for now. And if this sounds ridiculously low, the pump-action shotgun in Left 4 Dead is less than 1200 triangles. Post it on Polycount in the early stages, so we can give feedback early on in the process, rather than after you've almost finished.
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow you guys are really helpful! i should use this forum more often. thanks for all the advice everyone. i appreciate all the feedback and criticism. I will post up some more pictures with a model that would make a lot more sense.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds great for home zombie defense
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brought it down to 2557 polys

[IMG][/img]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2150/hammerwireframe.jpg
    [IMG][/img]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/456/renderwn.jpg
    [IMG][/img]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6748/wireframei.jpg

i still cant get the tags right for some reason. help? lol
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no spaces for the tags. and the hammer is still way too high. also fix up the blade to make it look sharp.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I feel like it should be around 3,000 TRIS. Also it does not feel like the axe part is very sharp
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1597 polys

also made the axe pointier

newrenderh.jpg
    newwireframehammer.jpg
    newwireframe.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where's your reference for the axe blade? and its still a bit too high poly for the shapes you're going for.
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axegun.jpg

i know mine doesnt look exactly the same, but im trying to get the same idea
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1542 polys now

newwireframehammer2.jpg
  • threedeenut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, neat concept model. Not something you see every day. Looking forward to seeing it textured.