Home General Discussion

I'm selling my license of Modo 501

EDIT2:

My license has been sold, thanks for the interest everyone!

Hi everyone, sorry for the spam. I did get permission to post this here.

As much as I love Modo and it kind of feels like tearing off my right arm to do so... I'm selling my license of Modo 501 and a few Luxology training videos for $750. So that's about 30% off. It's a good chance for someone get Modo and some Modo training videos a little cheaper than usual.

The Luxology training videos you will get are:

Shader Tree Essentials
Architectural Interior Lighting
Real-time Game Asset / Level Creation

It might or might not also include the Photoshop plugin ImageSynth version 1. Luxology was a little unclear about whether or not it will transfer over with everything else. In either case official support for the plugin is has been discontinued anyway and it only works with 32 bit versions of Photoshop. CS2 is the latest version I've used it with. I guess if you get it consider it a freebee.

There is a $100 license transfer fee, which I will pay for.

One thing to note:

If you buy this license from me rather than a new license from Luxology you will not be able to re-sell it as I am doing so now.

Other than that it will function just like any other full license of Modo. You will be able to upgrade it in the future or not if you choose without any Autodesk subscription style hassles. You can install it on as many computers (PC and Mac) as you like, as long as only one is in use at any given time.

Send me a PM if you are interested or post any questions you might have here in this thread.

Thanks

EDIT:

I forgot to mention since I'm also looking to buy an iPod Touch or iPhone and/or Android device of some sort, if you've got something you're willing to trade I'll knock it's fair value off of the $750 as long as you can ship it to me in Hawaii. An
older 1st or 2nd Gen 8Gb iPod Touch would be perfect...

Replies

• Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Whoa man! You always seemed to be such a Modonaut, why are you changing your ways? :(

Its a good deal and I wish I had the money for it!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    That's a good deal, I'll spread the word.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arkadius:

In a strange twist of fate I've found myself enjoying programming (and to a lesser extent math) so much for the last 10 months or so that I haven't had any time to work on any art. All the pieces of knowledge are starting to fall into place and I think I'm going to give indie development a serious go in the next year or so.

I have no illusions of making the next great MMO with current gen art techniques. In fact I'll probably be making simple games with pixel art rather than polygons for quite a while. So sadly there's no need for a high end modeler like Modo...

The other part of the story is that I'm pretty darn poor atm... luckily I've got a roof over my head, food in my stomach (if ramen counts as food, lol!), and health insurance for myself and my wife (Thanks US. health care reform for bringing those prices down! :() but unfortunately I need to raise some money for development hardware like a Mac mini, iPod touch, some sort of Android device etc...

So in the end I figured I'd sell off my license of Modo way before 601 is expected to be released so that it's worth more money to put towards my new goals.

I'll miss Modo A LOT, especially the modeling and UVing, but I figure if I ever really need that much 3D power again then I'll be making some money (hopefully though selling my games) and can afford to buy a new license in the future.

@Entity:

Thanks for the interest and for spreading the word :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    @Arkadius:

I have no illusions of making the next great MMO with current gen art techniques. In fact I'll probably be making simple games with pixel art rather than polygons for quite a while. So sadly there's no need for a high end modeler like Modo...

I dunno man, I hear alot of 1 man shows are making AAA MMO's these days, and they're free :poly142:

on a more serious note good luck with the new path :)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ganemi:

Thanks for the positive words, but lets not have the launch party just yet. :) I've still got a long ways to go before anything really concrete takes shape.

So far it's been really long and mountainous road... Programming wise I haven't really studied anything in particular for games rather I have been concentrating my studies on general programming so that when I tackle game programming it will be easier to deal with.

For the most part I've just Googled and read as much as I can on anything I don't know. Also there are so many free online courses available not to mention a seemingly infinite amount of tutorials out there. For instance, I'm taking Stanford University's AI and Machine Learning courses right now which should help fill in that piece of the puzzle.

Studying linear algebra has been a very enlightening experience so far as well even though I'm still at the most basic level with it. Khan academy has been awesome too, I don't think I could have gotten this far without it.

A couple of things I haven't touched yet at all are physics and networking. With physics I'm hoping it'll be as simple as just using Box2D or Bullet, though it probably won't be that easy. Networking is a challenge that will have to wait for another day as I've got too much on my plate already. So it'll be single player games first.

@r_fletch_r:

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I've heard Realm of the Mad God was made with very small team (4 people?). So I guess MMOs are possible for creative and skilled indie developers, just not the traditional WOW kind.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Ben,

Keep us posted on your transition/progression. With the means for small teams to create and distribute their own games becoming more accessible, watching your adventure into it will probably be pretty interesting and educational.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a potentially "alternate" method of payment to the original post.

@Hboybowen:

Yeah KAG looks like a lot of fun. Sadly I've got no time to play anything atm... :(

I sent you a PM about teaming up.

@fattkid:

Yeah I plan to make a sketchbook here sooner or later. I figure I'll post stuff like that in there. Maybe I'll eventually make a blog too.

I'm hoping my "adventure" will be interesting rather than depressing we'll see...
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man it sad to see you sell Modo, but I wish you luck :)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah post your progress or start a blog. I'm interested and would follow it.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Selling your Modo?? Then you must be very serious about programming stuff and indie development.Sad to hear you need to sell your Modo501.I'll spread the word and good luck on indie development.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i buy this still?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BetelGeist:

It's still for sale, I sent a reply to your PM.

@igi:

Yeah it's sad to let Modo go. Indie development is a pretty scary and uncertain future. I guess I just don't want to have any regrets of not having tried.

Thanks for spreading the word :)

@Arkadius:

@Fomori:

Yeah I'll start up something once things get rolling. Currently Stanford's free online AI, Machine Learning, and Database courses are taking up all of my spare time.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool dood. Sold. :D let me know how to send the money to you. i will be needing some kind of receipt. going to right this off on my taxes ;P