Home Technical Talk

Custom 3d grids in max?

AlecMoody
ngon master
Offline / Send Message
AlecMoody ngon master
Does anyone know if it is possible to define custom, 3d/curved coordinate systems inside max? This would be a super useful modeling tool.

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It's not exactly the same, but you can create those objects, use autogrid for creation, and define it as a creation surface in the graphite ribbon's freeform tab, just move elements using local coordinate space. It's not exactly what you want, but it's close..
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Just out of curiosity, could you explain what this would be usefull for?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Computron
    yeah no problem- many objects have surfaces that don't conform to isometric views. I am frequently moving verts around or cutting in details where I have to tweak vertex positions on all 3 axis to get a continuous flow- that is messy and time consuming.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/tools.php
    try FB subobject pivot.

Also, you can define any object as referential in the "reference coordinate system" with the pick option. For instance, you can create a grid object on a face with auto-grid on, and use this grid as a new referential.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes that would be amazingly helpful to have custom deformable grids, however that would more than likely destroy the grid as a measurement device.

You can use Grpahite Modeling tools > Free form > draw on object > Pick Target Object. You can use a handful of tools, I wish all of the tools worked with an active snap system, maybe in the future they will.

Conform brush: Paint relaxes one mesh to fit the target.
    Custom Move tool: To push verts around while they are constrained to the target surface, normal move tool does nothing you must use the GMT move tool.
    Step Build: A pretty complex tool that does a lot of stuff, really good at filling in holes and creating new verts/geometry.
    Extend: Like extruding open edges only they conform to the surface of the target mesh.

You can also use the retopo tools to draw quads on the surface of the target mesh.

You can create custom grid objects: Create Panel > Helpers > Grid
    You activate the custom grid object by selecting it, right clicking and in the upper left quad choose "active grid"

I use these when working on vertical wall pieces, or at odd angles like crown molding. Unfortunately you can't deform the custom grid objects with modifiers like bend, because it changes the size of the grid, but people might not need them for measurement.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    nice. that script is really useful for flat surfaces.