Home General Discussion

CG Programming and Approximate hours spent on finishing the 3d models

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Hi guys;

I've been practicing 3d modeling as well as programming. I know that Computer Graphics Design has become more on the non programming side but I believe some people still go back and like to read about graphics programming.

With that thought I have a question:

to6Zu.jpg

Does anyone own it? If so, is it worth buying or is it too obsolete to consider buying.

Also, I have another question:

Do you guys really spend like approximately a week on one model's details before calling it a finish?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I remember said book going for free at this point? Here is where I got it from: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/graphics-programming-and-theory/graphics-programming-black-book-r1698

Apologize if I'm not allowed to post the link, GameDev is a reputable site, right?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been reading off of those chapters. I just thought I'd ask if anyone owns a copy of it and it was worth it.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding your second query on hours spent finishing, I asked a similar question and recieved some helpful answers here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75691
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Do you guys really spend like approximately a week on one model's details before calling it a finish?

Thanks. :)

Man, now days you can spend a month on a single character model.

The longest I ever spent on a single model was just short of 2 months. General Grievous.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    is it too obsolete to consider buying.

It's a book that deals mostly with VGA registers and ideas like surface caching (i.e. QUAKE) and other performance ideas.

Whether that holds any relevance in 2011 is up to you - are you making an optimized-as-hell software renderer or a DOS game?

I should mention I read some of the black book to understand how quake's software renderer works better, which leads to me doing the inhumanly task of hacking in software colored lighting.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    are you making an optimized-as-hell software renderer or a DOS game?

I am looking for further books to buy that are related to the graphics and game programming, that can help me create code template(s) using C++ language to actually import an animated character in to it, so I can play with action handlers to figure out the controls, collision detections, shaders, Transform and Lightnings, etc(thats the next part), first part is to get started with the basic game programming which I have been studying about via:

Isometric game programming with DirectX 7.0,
    Introduction to 3d Game programming in DirectX 9.0 and 9.0c,
    Game Graphics programming, etc.
    That and studying/practicing 3d modeling and texturing, rigging, and animation walkcycles.

My goal is not exactly a Dos game, but to create a custom code to use as something close to a graphics/game engine. =\

EDIT2:
    I should mention I read some of the black book to understand how quake's software renderer works better, which leads to me doing the inhumanly task of hacking in software colored lighting.

This is very impressive, seriously. I wish I do that. This work is 2 game generations past but seriously hard to achieve.