Home Technical Talk

Topology tool(s)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
I am giving up on working on one piece at a time for the entire mesh and looking for re-topology tools. I am siding more towards 3d coat, but I honestly think wasting money on the professional edition right now, is kind of pointless because I unwrap UVs in blender.

So I want to know if its worth buying just the educational version of it, until I can afford the pro version. =\

Thanks.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There is a free 30 day trial to 3D Coat (which apparently enters demo mode afterwards so you can still use it, minus the ability to actually export things). If you're leaning that way, then give it a spin. If you think it does the job for you, you'll know if it will be worth your money.

I think I recall seeing some videos for some retopology tools in Blender. I'm not sure how they'd stack up to programs that have a stronger focus in that area, but it may be worth looking into as well.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know how to re-topo in blender, its just that importing mesh with say, 15 mil quads (using this as an example) will give you a serious lag issues. In other words you will have hard time moving around in 3d view port and have it re made in low poly.

It has the snapping to object function that allows you to construct a new mesh on top of it.

I just figured tools like Topo gun and 3d coat will deal with less to no lag should I decide to import the entire mesh in it. =\
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There is no need to import meshes with 15 million quads though; just step down to a lower/medium subdivision level and work with that. You only need enough faces to creates the general silhouette, all that extra micro detail like wrinkles and skinpores are of no use to retopologizing.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqPZnD_3lA"]Blender Retopology Tutorial/Workflow - YouTube[/ame]

This tutorial you were talking about, I have watched it many times and yes, blender is great for re-topology. The bad part comes when you are trying to remove the edge loops or individual edges. Since I am still kind of new to blender, I tried merging the verts of one edge to the other, but that takes a while.

So the problems I am having is:

-Cant really import a densed up mesh in to blender and expect it not to lag.
    -Cant remove the edges, or use knife tool to split a polygon. =\

Maybe you are right, I should try out the demo version of 3d coat and see if it is worth it. =\
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    The Topgun beta has pretty much the same tools as 3d coat but with more refinements, plus a bunch of other stuff too. It's also cheaper, if all you need is a tool for retopo.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I was thinking to buy Topogun but someone told me that 3d coat is better than that.

I dont know how tho, like if someone is just looking for a topology tool and not the other stuff because you endup unwrapping in blender and use xnormal to bake the maps anyways. =\
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    3d coat was better, it's not any more. It's actually missing a bunch of handly things that Topogun now has. It does have all the other stuff, particularly voxel sculpting if you think you'd get any use out of it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Blender Retopology Tutorial/Workflow - YouTube

This tutorial you were talking about, I have watched it many times and yes, blender is great for re-topology. The bad part comes when you are trying to remove the edge loops or individual edges. Since I am still kind of new to blender, I tried merging the verts of one edge to the other, but that takes a while.

So the problems I am having is:

-Cant really import a densed up mesh in to blender and expect it not to lag.
    -Cant remove the edges, or use knife tool to split a polygon. =\

Maybe you are right, I should try out the demo version of 3d coat and see if it is worth it. =\

haven't used blender in a long time but i do remember that you can remove whole edge loops, while keeping everything intact.

The reason why it fucked up when removing just edges is that, that would create ngons in most cases.

and for who knows what reason blender devs think ngons are evil and wont support them.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    A) 3D-Coat is still better then Topogun. Most of the bugs if not, all, are ironed out, which cannot be said of Topogun, especially in it's current state. Plus, the way you have to switch between creating polygons or moving vertices in two different modes it not intuitive. Also, Topo still doesn't have a true extrude function. It's cheaper and has easier workflow flexibility, those are it's strong points, but it's not strong enough to take 3DC head to head.

B) NGon's are going to be implemented in Blender, the reason uptill now they are not, is because the guy who came up with the code for Ngons made some drama alongside several users, on the Blender forums about being sick, death and being in need of donations, suffice to say it will come...now the question is 'when' since last I heard, Ngons were supposed to be available in Blender this month.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I should go with 3d coat's student version instead. kool.

Thanks guys.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    I know how to re-topo in blender, its just that importing mesh with say, 15 mil quads (using this as an example) will give you a serious lag issues.

That's what Decimation Master is for. Topogun and 3Dcoat both work, but in a very specific scenario. There can be some big advantages to doing retopology in a standard 3D app though:
    1. You don't have to learn a new interface.
    2. Easy to retopo in multiple pieces.
    3. Easy to retopo separate base parts.
    4. You have all your standard modeling tools.
    5. Access to your 3D App's display layers.
    6. No extra jumping around between apps.

Say for instance you wanted to create a clean mech model based on a concept sculpt. In that case, Topogun or 3Dcoat would be more trouble than they are worth.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Real men retopo in ZBrush.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Quick question, has the Retopo menu moved in ZBrush 4.2? I cant seem to find it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Should be under the same place. Select a zsphere, and go to tools: rigging: select mesh to select the tool you want to retoplogize. Then use tools: topology: edit topology to begin.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno about the stuff you guys do for retopo tasks; but for what I need, I prefer basic stuff because most of the time I spend on refining the existing mesh, redirecting edges as I keep adding detail and fit it to the forms and shapes of the concept sculpt. So I care a lot less about paint-based approaches or automatic stuff.

Still, this is why I prefer Wrapit because it fits nicely into 3ds max and my existing workflow; and I can also find a lot of extra uses for the tool for other everyday tasks and problem solving.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    I honestly prefer Blender for retopo over 3D coat, though you'll have to get used to the interface for modeling. A combo of the shrinkwrap modifier and b-surfaces is really really fast. The most interesting part starts around 11:55 minutes: http://www.bsurfaces.info/

Bringing a full sculpt into any program is not a good idea, so either use a low sub-d level, or decimate it in max, maya, blender, or zbrush.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Real men retopo in ZBrush.

Ya well, that causes face flips, and overlaps since it doesnt create just one plane but 2. Front side and back side so you can measure the thickness out so, even with the 0 thickness you would likely to have face flips, since it works that way in zbrush. When the rigging tool was made, the Pixologic dev team assumed that the mesh would stay in zbrush. They havent touched it after they realized that zbrush would link to many other programs. I dont think they will ever fix it. =\

Crispy4004 wrote: »
    That's what Decimation Master is for. Topogun and 3Dcoat both work, but in a very specific scenario. There can be some big advantages to doing retopology in a standard 3D app though:
    1. You don't have to learn a new interface.
    2. Easy to retopo in multiple pieces.
    3. Easy to retopo separate base parts.
    4. You have all your standard modeling tools.
    5. Access to your 3D App's display layers.
    6. No extra jumping around between apps.

Say for instance you wanted to create a clean mech model based on a concept sculpt. In that case, Topogun or 3Dcoat would be more trouble than they are worth.

It took me an hour to learn the 3d coat when bought it since my last post. The major reason I dont want to touch blender for this purpose is that, they dont have reliable split polygon tool.

If you understood the basic concept behind one 3d modeling program, it will take you alot less time to learn a different 3d modeling program. For example:

I started learning 3d modeling in Softimage XSI. When I was good at knowing what to do to create a model, I moved on to Autodesk Maya because many people use it here so it would be easier for them to answer the question should I come across some sort of problem. Took me about 30 minutes to get settled with Autodesk Maya.

Than someone told me that Blender is the way to go because it is much easier than Maya and almost have everything that requires for 3d artist to achieve their goal, when I was planning to buy either XSI or Maya. Blender's interface took me about an hour to understand (30 mins extra because I failed to find out how to split a polygon within blender.)

For 3d coat, it took me about 15-20 minutes approx to understand how it works.

I agree that there are massive advantages to decimate your model and re-topo it in a standard 3d modeling tool, but say, for example, I am a big fan of split polygon tool from Maya and a add edge tool, split polygon tool, and knife tool from XSI. I move on to try out blender's foundation and try to re-topo a mesh in blender, and I get stuck finding out that the Knife tool isnt doing what it suppose to.

Now I can either go back to Maya or XSI or buy a re-topology tool to just get rid of the entire hassle, dont you agree?

EDIT: I'll check out the bsurface. Thanks for the link. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little curious how the retopology tools in 3dsmax > Graphite Modeling tools stacks up against the retopo tools in 3D coat, Zbrush, Blender and TopoGun?

I personally haven't explored much beyond 3dsmax + GMT + WrapIt and I wonder if these are really any faster. I wouldn't mind trying them out but it would take weeks to get familiar with all of them in order to give them each a fair shake.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    GMT alone feels very basic in comparison to 3D Coat and Topogun, but is much better then zbrush retopo(i hate zbrush in that regard!)
    With WrapIt the gap is almost closed, but still there.
    Even if TopoGun and 3D Coat are a little bit better i prefer GMT+Wrapit.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've found the the Max retopo tools in the graphite modelling ribbon tend to crash quite often. Causes undo to stop working and eventually it gets to the point where it either crashes or it'll undo about 15 steps o it's own. The actual tool itself is quite handy thugh, but i'd advise saving extremely regularly.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    3dcoat, i think they have the best retopo tools and the new versions are very stable, and 3dcoat can take some pretty extream polycounts and still be useable.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Blender for retopo for the last two days, and I'm finding it quite adequate for my needs. What exactly do you mean by split polygon?
    Did you know you can select any edge or ring of edges and use 'subdivide' to split them? This really only works in edge mode, not vert mode, so if you're one of those madmen who only ever use vert-mode (Blender doesn't distinguish between them at a macro-level. If you select the four verts that make up a face, you just selected a face, and extruding will extrude that face) you'll run into a problem there. Like I said, I'm still figuring it out myself (thanks for the tutorial, Ralusek!), but perhaps I can help?
    Also, I saw someone was struggling with deleting edges, so here's what I've found: press x, select 'edgeloop'. It will only delete your selected edges, not the entire dgeloop as it seems to suggest. That's untill Bmesh (A new mesh-system that supports ngons, among other changes) arrives, which features the 'dissolve' command, which works as you'd expect it from other software, like Max.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea - Think Blender's Knife tool, but on a more basic level where you can directly lay out edge cuts with mouse clicks. Blender's knife tool does some interesting things, but I would imagine for most of us coming from another package it feels more like a handicap. It is certainly why I avoid Blender for any type of modeling.

Nitewalkr - Trust what works for you, don't take other people's word for it. It is good to experiment, but don't count out solutions for your lead 3D app. Ideally that's were you should want to Retopo in the first place. Also, ask yourself, "What is the most realistic option in the workplace when I have to convince my employer to provide the tool?" It's a simple but very important question.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Make sure to give Topogun a fair try. I find it to be the best and most fluid retopo tool of all.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Passerby - I bought 3d coat's educational version to try it out. It does offer other things which certainly I dont need. I just want to retopo the mesh and import it in to 3d app. It is indeed a great tool for re-topology. However; Topogun's full version costs pretty much the same and almost have everything that 3d coat's topology section has to offer. For now I am good with 3d coat. :)

MightyPea - I agree. It is indeed adequate to anyone's 3d modeling needs, and I do plan to keep up with that 3d app. The split polygon means, well, splitting one quad in to 2, just one quad, not the entire row or creating extra geometry around the edge that you made. (knife tool does that in blender)

I didnt know you can select a single quad and sub divide it. WOW....It isnt the only problem that forced me to look for third tool that helps me with the re-topology. Its also, if you delete one edge it would delete 2 quads with it. I know its easy to work with it but seriously I wouldnt count on few functions of blender until they fix it and do what they suppose to do.

Crispy4004 - the lead app that I am working is Softimage xsi which is really amazing when it comes to creating edges on the quad by split tool, knife tool and poly curve tool, etc etc. so I think I'll stick with that.

EDIT: Make that; The lead 3d apps that I am using right now are Softimage XSI, Zbrush, and 3d coat, so work through those.

Thanks for help guys. :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, I think I am going to go with Topogun even if I have spent money on 3d coat, I feel like I am just using one instance of the entire tool...so if I just want to retopo the mesh and export in to XSI than I guess just a topology tool would do, right?