Home General Discussion

Leap of Faith in finding job opportunity

I've been a graduate from college now for almost 2 years with a Computer Animation degree. I've been steadily increasing my knowledge and skills in 3D modeling, texturing, and sculpting since graduation. Not many job opportunities here in Florida as opposed to LA or maybe NY. Visited LA a month ago would definitely live there given a job opportunity...is moving out to LA my next step before given an job? My primary goal is to work for a Game Studio. Would love the opportunity to shadow artists at a studio, unfortunately you're not allowed to follow the Disney characters around the Theme Park all day...who made that rule up?! lol

Thanks

Here's my portfolio site if you'd like to check it out: www.cheynecg.wordpress.com

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Portfolio first!!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Honestly, your portfolio just isn't very strong. You have very little there to compel anyone to give you an interview. You need more pieces and they need to be outstanding. Yours are just not that eye grabbing. I'd lose the demo reel, it's not helping you. Your environment work doesn't exhibit any real time examples. Do some UDK environments if you want to get some attention. Your portfolio site in general is probably scaring away a lot of prospects too. It's unpleasant to navigate and unfocused. Your portfolio is not a blog and your blog is not a portfolio. A portfolio is meant to do one thing, get you an interview and hopefully a job.

Make your portfolio purely a portfolio. It's supposed to be a gallery that shows off your best work. Put some more complete artwork in there that's relevant to the job you're looking for. Simplify your site so that your artwork is easy to find. Look through the threads around polycount here. Most people have their portfolio linked in their signature. Check out their stuff and compare it to yours. Follow their example, but still make it your own. Also, post your WIPs in the P&P section. That's a good way to get those that are in the industry to look at your work style and see your skills as you work through a project.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I would get off of wordpress, you can keep it around as a progress blog but I would go with another website for a portfolio. You can either make your own or one good place is http://carbonmade.com/. As greevar said, you have no realtime work so start making environments in UDK or cryengine 3.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you aren't getting responses to your applications it's not because you're not within walking distance of the studio, it's because your portfolio is weak. As long as you're inside the country, studios don't care where you are as long as you have the talent they want. Quality is what matters, not distance. Often times relocation assistance will be provided.

Your header says you're a character artist yet you have more environments than characters and the characters you do have are not game ready assets. This portfolio basically tells your potential employer that you know almost half of a production pipeline, and not the important half. That's not good enough.

I really don't think getting off wordpress isn't going to matter at this point. 2 unfinished models isn't a portfolio no matter what format you put it in. Your priority right now should be to make more art, better art, FINISHED art.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's nothing wrong with Wordpress for portfolios if you set it up correctly. I use it for mine. It's just a matter of hunting down a nice portfolio template and hammering it into a shape that works well for you.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    "Your header says you're a character artist yet you have more environments than characters and the characters you do have are not game ready assets."

This right here is probably hurting you the most. Be who you say you are. If you want to be a character artist, then make characters for your portfolio. Nobody looking for a character artist is going to be interested in your photo-realistic, pre-rendered, environments. They probably don't even want to see real time environments. They want to see characters, great characters.
  • Cheynecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate the critiques and advice.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Cheyne, this is Greg (I remember you contacted me through Kelly) . Looks like you found your way to polycount :)

I would keep working on your art. Polycount is full of professional artists and their portfolios are a good indication of the quality bar that you need in order to be employable in this industry. I am not sure if relocating to a more favourable job market geographically will do much good without the work to show for it.

Let your portfolio speak, it should tell everything the prospective employer needs to know.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    To be blunt - your portfolio is not professional grade. You're not going to get a job when the work you have there is demonstrating your skill. You need to spend more time trying harder things and learning more. You're still in the learning phase where you need to work out the bad.

Moving to LA is only going to make it more difficult to work on your portfolio. LA is only one of many places where games are made, don't discount other areas. You'd do better to live somewhere cheaper where you can work 40 hours a week and come home and spend another 30 on your portfolio, rather than LA where you're going to have to work more hours to maintain living expenses and have less time to devote to your portfolio.

Find a couple of artists you really admire and strive to be as good as they are. Stop convincing yourself there is a backdoor way into the industry outside of simply having a stellar portfolio - there isn't, and if there is, getting there will be easier with a stellar portfolio.
  • Cheynecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Greg, good to hear from yuh! Yeah polycount is definitely a great website for inspiration and output. Hope all is well. Thanks for the words of advice all.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    at first glance youre very confusing, you say u have a degree in a animation and u wanna animate but i dont see animation in your portfolio?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I where you, I would pull down some menial job that pays the bills while you work like a mad scientist on your portfolio. If you move to LA you'll be competing for menial labor with all the out of work and would-be actors and actresses. The good news is that with the housing market crash finding a cheap place to live might be slightly less difficult... however most of those cheap homes are pretty trashed and only available to people looking to buy.

I'm going to be blunt, your portfolio as it stands right now won't land you a job.

If you plan to go for a character artist position:
    This is what you're portfolio is current geared toward but isn't cutting it. These positions are extremely hard to come by and the competition is pretty fierce. You need a few more finished pieces, and by that I mean you need examples of low poly unwrapped and baked models, preferably rendered in a realtime engine like UDK, crytek, marmoset or some other free engine.

If you plan to go for an environment artist:
    You need environment art and props.
    Know that prop artists typically get hired late in projects to help fill out environments their duties and responsibilities are pretty light, model XX by YY, and they are typically the first to be let go when the project ships. If you're lucky and manage to hang on you might work your way up into a full blown environment artists position. They normally handle the layout of levels, they know whatever editor they are using really well and do a great job of balancing the tech of the game with the designers vision.

If you plan to go for a animator position:
    You need animation.
    It will help if you know more than just animation such as rigging and skinning, but at some studios (normally the bigger ones) that can be a separate job. However at most places animation and rigging go hand in hand and you'll need to balance a lot of tech with a lot of animation skill. Personally I think its a bit unrealistic to require that and I think that most people in charge tend to look at animation with a bit of ignorance and think any monkey can do it, then they're left scratching their heads wondering why a part time intern churned out crap...

TL;DR
    Overall, your blog is not a portfolio. As a portfolio stand in, it lacks direction focus and finished pieces.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with above posters, can't really mention anything new that hasn't already been said.

I use wordpress for my portfolio, however it's customized (code written by me and my brother) to fit my needs. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't just look in LA or NY, there's tons of studios all over the US - and the world if you're feeling adventurous. 38 Studios is a huge MMO studio in Rhode Island and EA is opening up a pretty large sports studio in Austin - I think about 300+ positions.

I'd like to add that in the MMO world, the environment side is typically split into Environment artists that do environment art as well as props and World Builders that sculpt terrain and place meshes; I've seen some studios classify world building as a design position while others classify it as art.
  • Cheynecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely have a pretty menial job right now just to pay the bills, bussing tables at a restaurant. Been doing this for well over a year now. Sorry if there's confusion on what I'm aiming for career wise. I'm focused on modeling characters, texturing, and sculpting them. Currently working on a Low Poly Project.