Home General Discussion

Art Restoration Services

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
I ran into a crazy-awesome find at an antique store yesterday: Two lithographs from 1899 by Alphonse Mucha.

0yVwH.jpg

I've a problem, though. The prints are in pretty decent shape (especially for being over a century old), but they do have a couple of spots with minor stains. It's also evident that the matting is slightly acidic, so it's causing yellowing and just general discoloration that I'd like to stop as soon as possible.

I know there are a few fine artists lurking around here, so do any of you have suggestions as to where to go to get them restored and professionally matted and framed? Or, if you don't have any idea, then where you'd start looking for information on where to get this done?

I've thought of contacting some of the fine art museums in San Francisco and seeing if they'd take a look, but I don't know how receptive to that kind of thing they'd be. Right now I'm just looking for different options, so... ideas?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Thats a pretty amazing find Swizz! Mucha is one of my favs, so nicely done sir! I dunno about restoration services but I would love to see an update when you have it done.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    TeriyakiStyle:
    They were appraised before they were donated to the antique store. The place I got them at is a non-profit that supports a local food bank, so the previous owner probably got a nice tax write off.

I'll definitely check out Guy Downing and see if he seems like he'd be good for taking care of them. There isn't a ton of work that'd need to be done, but I just want to make sure that any work would be done right.

Also, yes, the frames are ghastly. I'm going to try and get something a little more tasteful.

ScoobyDoofus:
    Yeah, I thought so too. I was in the antique store with one of the concept artists from work. He came up to me and he could hardly form a coherent sentence beyond "Mucha... behind the counter... look!" I'll definitely post some pictures of a before and after once any restoration and/or framing occurs.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    DAMN man! I am so jealous. Care to say how much you got them for?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    That's a pretty awesome find!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    you need to speak to Kat on here.. she knows of such things :P
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Great find, Swizzle.

I'm no expert, but I think you should be very careful about "Restoration." Definitely get that acidic matte taken care of, and get it under some protective glass. But as far as restoring the stains, everything I remember from my art history studies seems to state that artwork is going to be more valuable if untouched rather than restored.

I don't have any concrete advice, just be very wary and cautious before doing anything to the actual face of the print.