Home Technical Talk

Converting source .mdl files back to smd/obj?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Does anyone know how to do this?

Im trying to view the Age of Chivalry knight model because im real interested in seeing the topology and mesh makeup of their models with the way they made armor, and peak around at the textures.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Dont worry these aren't going on a deviantart profile lol :P

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's MDLDecompiler programs out there. Google will probably reveal some - I can't remember the name of them off the top of my head.

They'll give you back the SMD and .QC files for the model.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the original MDLDecompiler I get the app 221 id error, but for the fixed version it gives me the qc file but says "could not find modelsr(weirdcharacter).smd"
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you do the text editor thing where you change a character in the .mdl(?) file.
    I remember it being on the first part of the first line.

I'm sorry for the vague info, but its been a while.

can't find the post on steam forums, might have been wiped.

have you tried running the mdldecompileer executable from the Age of Chiv. directory?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I opened the mdl in a hex editor and changed the fifth character to "," and it still didnt work

Why would I run it from the aoc dir? I have the .mdls extracted to my desktop, should I be running it there?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh ive tried everything now, this isn't going to work.

Can I rar the 7 or so models and pm them to someone so they can send the the smds? This would be great if someone can