Home Technical Talk

Pixelated Texture issues?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings guys;

I am having an odd issue related to baking the texture from hi to lo. No matter what, I end up with results like this:

WE0cm.jpg

The goal is:

9K6VH.jpg

I am kinda new to how this thing works but these maps are 2048/2048 Edge padding 16, bucket size is 512 and antialiasing is 1x (using xnormal here.)

I know this is kinda noob to ask, but shouldnt 2k map cover indepth detail especially when you are making maps for every piece separately? Should I resize the map or split the face apart and extend it to have it cover more detail (which would leave a tarrible seam).

The reason I squeezed the UVs little to the side is because I have other stuff to texture out.

Original Finished:
bFdF1.jpg

So this much I have to map out.

Anyways; if anyone had this issue in the past when he was starting out and uses blender and xnormal please do share his/her method to resolve this.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: wow, its not even close to what its remotely suppose to be. >.< I dont know what happened to the nose. :(

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    How much UV space did you give he face on your unwrap? If the texture is 2048x2048 but you only assign 32x32 for the face than it's still going to be pixelated. Most of the time people give a bit extra resolution to the face, because this is the part of a person people focus on the most. Make sure you don't go over the top with the amount of extra resolution though, you want to try and keep the pixel density the same as much as possible.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, in other words, I should create the face and hair UVs separately? and scale it high enough so that the details not so pixelated?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats up to you. All MeintevdS was saying is that we don't know how much of the 2048 texture is given to the face...You can do 2 maps, thats common as well.

Try baking at double res...so 4096, then scale down. Baking at actual res can often cause details to get too pixely.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If you're giving the body, face, hair, and armor the same texel-density size on a 2K map, it's not surprising some parts of your model will be pixelated, especially the face.

I'm not sure what the Comicons regulations are this year, they usually don't allow more then one diffuse texture for your entry, so I would say posting up your map so we can how the UV's are organized would serve you far better then guess work.

Also, if the face is having problems, you're most likely going to have issues with your arm-guards too, some of those details are smaller then Storm's brows, so they'll pixelate even more.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    If you're giving the body, face, hair, and armor the same texel-density size on a 2K map, it's not surprising some parts of your model will be pixelated, especially the face.

I'm not sure what the Comicons regulations are this year, they usually don't allow more then one diffuse texture for your entry, so I would say posting up your map so we can how the UV's are organized would serve you far better then guess work.

Also, if the face is having problems, you're most likely going to have issues with your arm-guards too, some of those details are smaller then Storm's brows, so they'll pixelate even more.

The Gauntlet you mean? I deleted that, I am going to work with gloves and maybe at the very end if I have time and I figure this out, I am going to try and make the gauntlet. Right now my main goal is to texture everything with the same or close to the same res I was working with in zbrush. =\

I am having problems with texture at the moment, if need be, I will just combine Acc and Base texture and provide one normal map if they require.

First I have to figure this out. <.<
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    bucket size is 512
    That will kill your CPU's cache efficiency. Use 32 or 64.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so after the day of waiting for the correct answer I think I got it twice, that I am to project the face separately on 4k scale if I am doing the rest of the body on 2k scale. The only way I think I'll be able to do this is when the body parts are separated, and add more edges to the face. =\
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Can you post your texture or a screenshot of your UV's. Chances are that things can be fixed in there.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I swear I did...=\

CnbZ6.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You said your maps were 2048x2048? This appears to be a different size?

Also, you should be trying to pack your UVS in much tighter than that...all that wasted space is extra pixels that could be used. Your Face, while it may have the same texel density as the rest of the caracter....you could stand to make it larger. As was previously mentioned, its common to focus more detail on the face, since its important and has a lot of details, etc...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Err, I don't know how to say this, but that is not 2K square, and doesn't represent the final map, since you have other stuff to pack. So we still can't really help you, but as Gsokol said "wasted space" is your first issue.

8 padding it all you need for engines like UDK and if you're rendering, unless you plan on using shaders inside Max, in which case, there isn't enough padding in the world to stop the seams from popping up.

Also, I just took a closer look to the submission rules, and it says the following.
    *14,000 tris. This includes everything: pets, weapons, special power fx, etc.

*1 x 2048 Displacement Map (NEW!!)**, Color Map, Reflection Map, Specular Map, Specular Color Map, Normal Map, Bump Map, Opacity(transparency) Map, Glow map, Glossiness map, Masks.

*You may not break texture sheets into smaller sheets.

You cannot separate the face, and 4K for the face is unheard of for game quality assets.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, its 2k square but I couldnt post such a big sheet here, but I can link it for you guys. Also, they do not require this many maps they placed these names out there so you can decide which maps are best fit for your model.

In my case, since I am starting out; its normal, occ, and base Color

This one is revised, I think I understood how they work:

dYRMAl.jpg

Here are the maps that I used:

Unwrapped UVs

Normal

Ambient Occlusion

Base Texture + Ambient Occlusion
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Your uv shells should take up the entire 2k texture. You are currently only using about 60% of the resolution a 2k texture will allow. At most for 2k you need 12 pixels of padding between uv shells. You have double and triple that in many cases.

Why aren't you using the bottom right quarter of your map?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am working on it, that place is left for shirt, skirt, belt, gauntlet and other small pieces.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why aren't you using the bottom right quarter of your map?

I was curious about this too. I was hoping you were reserving the space for something else. Good deal.

Unwrap looks much neater now.
    Bake looks much better too.