Home Technical Talk

Help! Strange Z-Buffer type issue when overlapping Hi and Low Poly Models

If anyone could help me figure this out, it would be very much appreciated!

I'm trying to learn how to hi-poly model and bake normals/ao onto the low poly version. I've just started to pick up modeling again after a few years hiatus (back and more determined than ever!), and i've only stuck with low poly stuff before, so this is all new territory for me.

Anyways, i've got both the hi-poly and low poly models done, they are both exploded out and corresponding parts are ontop of one another. However, there seems to be this really weird artifacting, almost like a z-buffer issue that's coming through where the low poly/hi poly pieces overlap, and this issue comes through on the baked normals/ao's.

I have no idea what's causing it. Anyone know what it is, and more importantly, how to fix it?

wtf2a.png

lowbakelightingmap.png

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Are you rendering with Mental Ray? If so, hide the polys of the low (not the object itself, but in the edit Poly Modifier).
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for trying to help Piflik, but i found the issue, and yes, i'm a huge noob. : / just had to keep fiddling with the cages. HUGE NOOB.
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, finally got a decent bake on this bizatch. BUTTTTTTTT.....

udkwtf.png

imported into UDK, and i'm running into the "half dark / half light" issue.

spent the entire night looking for the answer and have come upon a few threads on several forums that pertain to the same problem, but none of the suggestions i have come across have fixed the issue for me.

things i've double tried/checked:
    1) checked that i had proper smoothing groups
    2) made sure i properly applied symmetry and welded the seam in 3DS max
    3) even tried mirror instead
    4) imported the normal map with the "normal map" compression selected in UDK
    5) tried uncompressed normal map compression as well in UDK
    6) created/added lightmap in UV channel 2 for UDK
    7) punched myself in the nuts repeatedly out of frustration and will be crying myself to sleep knowing i have failed.

me need halp.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Double check the vertex normals along the part where the seam between the two pieces will be.
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance wrote: »
    Double check the vertex normals along the part where the seam between the two pieces will be.

I've checked my vertex normal directions along the seam, but to me, they seem to be okay. i'm not too familiar with working with vertex normals though, so, I could be wrong in my assumptions. Screenshot:

vertnormals.png