Home General Discussion

Employee Unloyal Competition?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
ludic polycounter lvl 13
Ok so i've seen alot of talk here about companies and people wanting to go indie.
Like most of people i too think about it. But I have a few questions.

I understand there's something like unloyal competition in the labor laws, where it says that you can't compete directly with the company you are working for, even though it isn;t specified in your contract.

So:

Can you develop your own game in your spare time, while working for a company
(the game targets the same market etc) ?

Can you develop a game that was presented to your company (game design, concepts) but was not accepted, and you continue to work on it in the spare time?
Here you can include if the concepting was done in the company's work hours or not.
Do the company have to register ideas? Or they can sue you no matter what.
I mean you came up with an idea, you work on it within the company time but after a month was ditched.Can you still develop it?

Anyway i've searched google but still interested on how you guys think it applies in the gaming industry.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    A studio can potentially take your idea but that would be some bad PR, they usually just say they don't care as long as you aren't making a competing project - an casual developer isn't going to care if you're making a hardcore FPS in your spare time.

Unless they are greenhorns without a legal department, any idea presented to your employer is now theirs weather they use it or not. Luckily, ideas are easy to come up with and basically worthless - this is why self proclaimed idea guys get soundly mocked around here.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I have a small group of friends all of which work in the game industry where we make small games in our spare time. When we decided it would be cool to try and maybe sell them on ios or put them on FB the companies we work for were like lol nice try. However we all work for social games companies so it could be a little more extreme then say working for a AAA dev and making a small ios game or something but not sure. I know most social studios are super strict though.

It kind of sucks because it makes you feel like your stuck to the man. Since at least for us we can't afford to take the risk and hope our games succeed.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Generally it also varies from company to company. Some places will be happy for you to work on your own small projects in your spare time, whereas many others will take the complete opposite stance.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    Generally it also varies from company to company. Some places will be happy for you to work on your own small projects in your spare time, whereas many others will take the complete opposite stance.

Yeah, the best thing you can do is be open with the company and ASK what their stance is. Most likely, you signed something in your employment contract that specifically prohibits you from doing this, but depending on where you work and how nice the people you work for are, it may not be a problem.

Often times the non-compete clauses are to prevent you from say, working on Call of Duty via contract while you're working on Medal of Honor onsite, directly competing projects.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    It should be in your contract. So it's very company specific.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    It's contractual. And generally you aren't allowed to create direct competition. As far as I know.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    You should check the contract. Some companies claim ownership to everything you do, even outside of work.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Goraaz wrote: »
    You should check the contract. Some companies claim ownership to everything you do, even outside of work.

I would say that thats just too much and I would personally avoid those companies like the plague. Nothing I do in my private life or home, should be dictated by workplace.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    McGreed wrote: »
    I would say that thats just too much and I would personally avoid those companies like the plague. Nothing I do in my private life or home, should be dictated by workplace.

I agree that is not cool to own everything you do but I disagree completely about avoiding them like the plague. Are you going to avoid EA and all EA studios because of that? I don't think so. Specially if it's a cool project and they have good hours and all that jazz.
    Just a random company example.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, its not just EA, its virtually every game studio out there. Let me know when you find one that DOESN'T have this sort of language in their employment contract. =P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't heard of any studios using the legal cover their butt mumbo jumbo to steal your ideas - I classify it along the lines of the occasional internet freak out when someone reads the EULA of a webhost, cloud storage, images host, etc...
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I once got an awesome written job offer from a company and was all excited about it until I saw an attached piece of paper requesting I write down every idea I'd ever had as every idea after signing was there's until I left.
    Ya needless to say I didn't bother signing that contract.
    B
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I understand that such terms of a contract would be reasoned under non-compete clauses etc. But does anybody know of any actual breach of these terms or situations where somebody had their own personal idea and the company went: "Hold on, that's a million dollar idea! It just so happens that we own your ass too so thank you!" *wanders off to make a million dollars*
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Goraaz wrote: »

If you're outside the US and find something like this in your contract, check with a lawyer because local law may override such a clause.

Seems like there's some sort of "standard-US-games-industry-contract" floating around which just gets copied from company to company, no matter where they're located. Chance is people will be intimidated enough not to go against it, even if there's no legal ground (unless you directly compete or use stuff from work in your project)
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    Even in a QA position (internship for a half year in Germany for one of the three biggest Game Publishers) you are not allowed to work on Indiegame projects which might make money in the future.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    did you check with a lawyer? I'd love to hear a professional opinion on this because I was under the impression that there's a lot of standard game contract crap that you cannot pull off as easily in Germany as in, for example, the US. - i.e. the courts are more likely to rule in your favor (like in non compete clauses and stuff like this)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'm naturally no lawyer, but the non-competition clause is a pretty generic one and I'd imagine should apply in most countries since it's common sense. A company doesn't hire you to work on a rival product, and in some cases that could even be considered 'insider trading', since you're strongly aware of the position of both products. I'm pretty sure it would hold up in Germany regardless of the industry.

However it's the definition of 'competition' that is the grey area. On one hand, you could interpret it to mean any form of entertainment media, but on the other, you could just as easily argue that working on a small scale iPhone game in your spare time is hardly detrimental to the AAA console shooter you're also working on. It'll probably come down largely to company stance more than the law, after all, they're the ones paying your salary.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't think you should let it stop you working on something. If they really called you on it and tried to take the IP, they're sending a pretty clear message to you and everyone else you work with what a bunch of dicks you're working for.

having said that, I'm referring to projects worked on 100% in your own time. If you worked on it inside company hours with company tools, and imo if you pitched it to them- I kinda think you lost claim to it somewhat and it's harder to defend your stance. Pitching it to them in particular lets them say- well, we weren't ready to work on it then, but we had it on the backburner. Anything which is in the company 'idea bank' becomes off limits- in my opinion

edit: Meisse covered it though- they may have the IP but it's easy to switch up a few things and make a 'clone' of your own idea.
  • ludic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ludic polycounter lvl 13
    It's pretty clear that things like this can happen more often on smaller studios that targets the mobile market, where you have dozens of ideas and develop a game in 3 months.
    For example if someone had the idea of Doodle Jump (which is pretty basic) and was rejected by the company (because is too basic:D) and after that the dude develops it in his own time, makes 4 millions dollars and the company then decides well we deserve something too. Of course if your game is shit nobody notice it.
    Seems the company can do that, if they want. Of course they have better lawyers etc.
    edit: ...and of course there are alot of people that think they have the next million dollar idea and better should get working, but it''s just something that could happen.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Well, its not just EA, its virtually every game studio out there. Let me know when you find one that DOESN'T have this sort of language in their employment contract. =P
    I know at least one large and successful studio (that happens to employ a lot of talented Polycounters) that recently announced a policy permitting developers to work on mobile games and apps in their personal time. It struck me as a generous policy but then I realized it should be industry standard; it's sad that this studio, which is already well-respected, is the exception that proves the rule. I wish more companies respected the full range of their employees' talents and allowed for creativity and personal development. It literally costs no money and the potential benefits from satisfied employees are enormous.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    jipe wrote: »
    I I wish more companies respected the full range of their employees' talents and allowed for creativity and personal development. It literally costs no money and the potential benefits from satisfied employees are enormous.

I'd personally prefer if it was the other way around. I'd like to recieve royalties from everything I make irrespective of whether I am working at the company I made it for. But I can see the financial incentive from the studios point of view.

Why aren't you putting that same work into your day job? What if you're losing sleep because you're working late into the night at your personal work?

And what if you come up with a million dollar idea? like the fellows who invented bratz while working at Mattel?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26410627/ns/business-us_business/t/mattel-awarded-million-bratz-lawsuit/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/21/mattel-loses-lawsuit-with-mga-bratz_n_852223.html
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Why aren't you putting that same work into your day job? What if you're losing sleep because you're working late into the night at your personal work?

From a company's perspective, why does it matter if an employee is staying up late working on a personal project or having sex? Every employee spends their personal time how they see fit -- working out, watching TV, browsing the internet, playing video games. Many on Polycount work on personal art when they get home; some work on indie games or short films or whatever interests them. If any of those activities cut into sleep time and end up affecting work performance, it will show in missed deadlines or lower quality work and can be addressed in performance reviews with supervisors.

Your first question strikes me as a bit silly; why does anyone on this forum who is professionally employed create art in their spare time? To improve their own abilities, to satisfy the itch for autonomy and creativity without production limitations or deadlines, to experiment with new techniques -- the list goes on and on. There are many reasons why people do things with their own time that they simply could not do in their day job. It has very ilttle to do with slacking off or not giving full energy during work hours, and everything to do with most employment opportunities not offering full satisfaction (nor should most jobs, I think).
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    jipe wrote: »
    Your first question strikes me as a bit silly; why does anyone on this forum who is professionally employed create art in their spare time? To improve their own abilities, to satisfy the itch for autonomy and creativity without production limitations or deadlines, to experiment with new techniques -- the list goes on and on. There are many reasons why people do things with their own time that they simply could not do in their day job. It has very ilttle to do with slacking off or not giving full energy during work hours, and everything to do with most employment opportunities not offering full satisfaction (nor should most jobs, I think).

I agree with you, since I have done personal work at home for exactly this reason, but a company would argue that they should be offering full satisfaction at work. And if you're not satisfied then you should speak up about it. Of course I realise this isn't what usually happens but that doesn't mean it's not reasonable for a company to take this position.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satisfaction? What? I'm sorry, but the company you work for has no obligation to provide you satisfaction, or meaning to your life. This is just beyond the scope of what gainful employment is. Nor do they have the right to expect you to spend all of your physical and emotional energy during work hours.... This is just absurd reasoning.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Satisfaction? What? I'm sorry, but the company you work for has no obligation to provide you satisfaction, or meaning to your life. This is just beyond the scope of what gainful employment is. Nor do they have the right to expect you to spend all of your physical and emotional energy during work hours.... This is just absurd reasoning.

I was responding to what jipe said:
    jipe wrote:
    To improve their own abilities, to satisfy the itch for autonomy and creativity without production limitations or deadlines, to experiment with new techniques -- the list goes on and on..

Why wouldn't a good workplace offer you options to improve? options for greater autonomy? and the option to experiment with new techniques?

certainly not satisfaction in the broad sense but definitely job satisfaction
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Because for 10 years, companies have been more then happy paying large sums of money to buy software, which still can't bake normal maps, and aren't willing to take the 'next' step in hardware development, although that would cancel out most of the issues we are having nowadays and drive down 'leak' costs considerably.

Just sayin'
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Also, no matter who you are and what you work on, there's a massive gulf between working on your own art freely and doing it for the man. In my experience, most artists get into the job because of that amazing, rewarding creative feeling you get working on your own stuff, and a few artists I know who have left the job do it partly because at work they didn't get that feeling anymore (and they didn't do anything about that in their free time).

As for me, I went from full-time employment to contract work about two years ago and since I started with a new client company mid last year I've had it in my contract that I'm doing work non-exclusively and I own anything I make not directly related to my contract with them (even if I do it on-site, not that I would). I wouldn't expect this working for a bigger company, but I'm really happy to have it now :)