Home General Discussion

Co-Op Game Suggestions

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hey everyone,

My girl and I are looking for a new co-op PC/Mac game and are coming up short with ideas.

We're used to MMO's primarily, couple years on WoW, and more recently Rift. Problem is with those, we only play like an hour or two each night and once we hit the level cap, we find we just don't have the time to dedicate to enjoy what they have to offer fully.

So we're looking for a replacement, doesn't necessarily have to be an MMORPG, but something at least mildly RPG would be preferable.

No strategy games or FPS, for example I love Starcraft and Borderlands, but they're not the kinda thing I'm looking for.

Obviously a strong co-op campaign or something would be perfect, with focus on PvE rather than PvP.

I'm out of touch with PC games in general, let alone ones with decent co-op so I'm putting this one over to you guys for some suggestions!

Cheers!

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Age of Empires Online? It's free-to-play and you can coop on that, if you don't mind an RTS. It's quite slow to start with, but once you're out of the tutorials hit level 5 or so (pretty quick), it builds up quite quickly.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nah no RTS, I'm not a huge fan of RTS other than C&C/SC. Although AoE does look very pretty, I may have to check that out myself. Thanks Ambershee.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe some coop Minecraft, or Terraria if first person is really out of the question.
    Otherwise maybe some hack&slash like Diablo2 or Titan Quest.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    here's a list of games i enjoyed playing coop that meet your criteria:

lara croft and the guardian of light

highly reccomend it, local or online coop, cheap, fun as hell, and a real coop game, not tacked on shit.

here's a list of pc rpg's that have coop:

http://www.co-optimus.com/search.php?advanced=true&gamename=&system=4&publisher=0&developer=0&esrb=%25&genre=21&release=Y&local=N&offline_num=&online=Y&online_num=&sortby=relevance

7 games. lol.

you could refine the search a little here:

http://www.co-optimus.com/search.php?cx=partner-pub-6292943021048531%3Apmfm0yt5rtv&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=rpg&sa.x=0&sa.y=0
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Bal wrote: »
    Maybe some coop Minecraft, or Terraria if first person is really out of the question.
    Otherwise maybe some hack&slash like Diablo2 or Titan Quest.

Cheers Bal.

Minecraft is a little open ended for what we want, but Diablo/TQ are great suggestions. Exactly the kind of thing we're looking for I think. I've never played either of them but loved Torchlight, so hopefully they will satisfy.
    Rick_D wrote: »
    here's a list of games i enjoyed playing coop that meet your criteria:

lara croft and the guardian of light

highly reccomend it, local or online coop, cheap, fun as hell, and a real coop game, not tacked on shit.

Thanks Rick, I'm glad you said that. I liked the look of it but wasn't sure if it was actually good or not.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    How about something classy like Baldur's Gate.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    sacred 2 is pretty fun co-op but the camera and ui can get annoying
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a hardcore co-op guy. Always have always will. I frequently go to www.co-optimus.com and I highly reccomend that for looking into more games to play.

i keep a list in Google Docs that my co-op friends can edit. usually i'll get info off of co-optimus and put it into that sheet. But sadly most of those games are not your type. We are L4D type of players.

That said the site should have a lot. Co-op is getting bigger and bigger which is awesome.

L4D
    Dead Island
    Gears3
    Tf2 is free now
    Rage
    Trine.. Puzzle Platformer. 3 Player. Physics. much fun and antics
    Portal 2. Probably one of the best Co-op experiences i've had ever and ever ever. I think you should check that out for sure.

You know what I'm going to just paste our entire sheet as it currently stands into here :)

Obviously this is formatted nicely in our Google Doc. Color coded for peoples oppinions and headers and things.... It usually goes Game Name (with link imbeded) , What type of game it is, then what platform, price or release date, then metarcitic score.

Our editable Co-op sheet below.

Warhammer 40k: Kill Team 2 Players max. Top down blaster.
    Hamiltons Great Ad. Wacky Indiana Jones adventure puzzles (family) PSN Q4 2011

4 or more

Dungeon Hunter Alliance ActionRPG PS3 $? N/A
    (It’s like the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance games, but 4player. Art looks top notch. Some of the gameplay looks clever and good)
    (this looks cool. I’m down for it. especially if it has some design that really plays on the co-op aspect like that Tomb Raider arcade game did)
    (I could be down for this!)

Jamestown Shmup ? $? N/A
    (I just love the premise of this, plus it looks fun!)
    (spiritual successor to DoDonpachi? I’ll play this in a heartbeat. Mike, this game may make your head explode)
    (This looks fucking insane. I’d have to try before I buy... Co-optimus podcast guy says best indie game since Cavestory for him)

Moon Diver Arcade PS3 $? March2011
    (4-player strider!)
    (been hearing this was not so good. “missed opportunity” was the phrase tossed around a lot)

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon PS3 $? OMFG
    (not by the developer of the original series, but has 6-player online co-op and it’s epic-action in a cheesy 1950’s horror film vibe with fully destructible environments! Close enough! - creath)
    (Verdict - Fun mindless killing while talking. Gets really grindy and repetitive fast. :( )

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Metroidvania :) 360DL ?$ 66%
    (I played the Demo. It felt VERY stiff. I did not like the feel of the play at all. This is a no for me right now)

L4D1/2
    (I would be down to play through the new “2” content including the L4D1 levels inside 2)

TMNT: T in Time RS Side Scrolling Action 360DL/PS3DL ?$/?$ 60%
    (NOISE!!!! Holy shit Noisenoisenoisenoisenoise. Maybe good as 1 player if you can tell WTF is going on) (we tried :( ) (and failed! ;P)

Serious Sam HD 1,2 and BFE FPS Insanity Steam
    (We should all play BFE!)

HALO ODST FPS 360 50$
    (I own this and have not gone back to it. Bleh)

Doom 1 & 2 FPS PC free-$5
    Heretic 2 TPS/FPS PC
    Gran Turismo 5 Racing PS3 $50-$400
    iRacing Racing MMO PC $12-$800
    (I’ve recently gotten into racing games because of my purchase of a wheel in preperation for GT5 - creath)

Scott Pilgrim RCR/CastleCrashers 360DL/PS3DL 10$ 75%
    (buggy as shit. would be awesome if Ubisoft ever patched it) (must patch and play some day) (it is worth finishing!)

Hard Corps Uprising Contra/Gunstar Heroes 360DL psn
    (it was awesome) (best 15 bucks in a while)

Dead Island Zombie Killing FP Fun 360/PS3/PC Q32011
    (This game looks like pure shit to me now)
    (Nevermind this game is looking cool for co-op!!!)

Shoot Many Robots Contra 4 player 2d XBLA/PSN ?
    Fear 3 Scary FPS (pressure/running) 360/PS3 75%
    Serious Sam 3: BFE 16Co-OP FPS madness PC/Consoles(?) Sep 30th 2011
    (lets do this!)

Payday: The Heist GTA Bank Robbery PS3/PC ??/??/????
    Voltron umm... PSN/XBLA Oct25th 2011
    (ummmmm.............. yeeahhh)

3 Player

Trine Side Scrolling Fantasy Steam/PSN 20$
    (done, fun) (I’ve never used “fun” to describe that level of migraine)

Trine 2 “” “” ??
    (“Trine 2 will have a revamped more useful knigh”!!!!)

2 Player

Kayne and Lynch 2 : Dog Days Gearsy 2 player shoot em up 360/PS3/Steam ?/?/50$ 67%
    Lost Planet 2 Crappy 3rd PersonShoot 360/PS3/Steam ?/?/40$ 68%
    Sky Fighter Side Scrolly Shooter airplanes PS3 in person only
    Shank LOCAL ONLY 2d Beatemup ? ? ?
    Fallen Frontier 2d Side Bionic Commando PSN/XBL/Steam ?
    (very recently announced game by ex bungie devs. hand drawn 2d Bionic Com. Meets Shadow Compx)

Rage FPS/Racing 360/PS3/Steam ? ?
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet Downloadable.
    (I’m probably going to try to play this with my friend Mike)

Double Dragon II Remake I think you know XBLA ?
    (Holy crap I played the NES one a lot! huh... Looks like shat)
    Outland Ikaruga alternative game XBLA/PSN 10$ 84%
    (These guys made Dead Nation. Game is supposed to be cool)

Single Player

Red Dead Redemption <---also multiplayer, though I haven’t tried it too much. (adrian) (
    Castlevania: Lords of shadow God of War Style 360/PS3 84%
    (People not so excited on this at GDC)

Trenched by Double Fine ??????????? unknown at this moment.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    TeeJay wrote: »
    new co-op PC/Mac game and are coming up short with ideas.

Yep