Home Technical Talk

[3dsmax 2011] Crashes on Chamfer

I have searched for this problem but didn't find anything so I created this thread :P

So, I was creating a model as per usual and then used Chamfer on it and instead of going down to 1 I have gone to about 170 and Max stopped responding :(

I closed the program and try to do it all over again and what do you know? it crashed again when I used chamfer :poly118:

I tried to give some time for 3DsMax to calculate everything but even after 2Hrs nothing changed :poly127:

help? D:

Replies

• mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    have you tried chamfering in a clean new scene? if that works it might just be easier to export your model to a that. :/
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Remove any modifiers above the editpoly (or mesh or whatever). Then do a reset xform if you've scaled the mesh in any way, then collapse the stack and try the chamfer again.

Usually when I run into repeatable max crashes on geometry editing this solves it. Seems to be some manner of trouble with creating the new mesh and iterating the change through the stack.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some trouble reading your post and understanding whats going on. You set chamfer to 170 segments and it crashes? Mine starts to slow down around 250 on simple scene but I can't for the life of me figure out why you would need to many segments? Around 40 I can remove the smoothing and it still stays nice and smooth. 70-100 I can't tell if its making a difference and beyond that it seems pointless?

Maybe I'm missing something...