Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Nidhin Thomas, Modeling and Texture Artist

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
orpheus85 polycounter lvl 14
Hi everyone, I have just created my new website with my latest personal work and games that I have developed during my Masters in Games development.
I have recently finished my course and before starting to apply for a job I would like to get feedback on my work and website. Thanks in advance:)

http://nidhinthomas.com

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your landing page is a bit confusing, and feels blank. Then I realized the image on the top isn't a banner and are meant to be clicked on. Without totally changing the design, I'd recommend adding some blank space at the top of the page to push that down and into view.

Also, I can't tell how much of the characters is weird camera angle or weird proportions. Pregnant voodoo lady is one of your stronger pieces, why is she at the bottom?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Also, I can't tell how much of the characters is weird camera angle or weird proportions. Pregnant voodoo lady is one of your stronger pieces, why is she at the bottom?

I had a little trouble with this also. At first I couldn't tell if it was a perspective issue. A lot of your models have large heads which makes them look like kid versions of themselves. I'm guessing that was the intention but it's a bit confusing at first. Maybe put the woman up top to show you can do realistic proportions.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Besides the weird interface, all you models look a bit flat, no spec at all...
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey there! You should probably move your more impressive models, such as the joker, the cowboy, and the african-voodoo-mutant-chick-thing to the top, as well as have at least one of them displayed on the front page. Those are my favorites and I think that they best demonstrate your ability.
    *The hulk's normals just look odd. Maybe the green channel is flipped? Or the sculpt just needs to be improved. The face is the big thing bringing that model down right now.
    *As for abe, you can hardly see his normal map on the model. It just looks like he has a bump map on his wet suit with a noisy texture. So, overall, he comes off as very flat.
    *I really like the robot guy's legs. Particularly the pants. You did a good job on simulating cloth there. But the rest of it is really messy and looks half-finished. I'd recommend that you just scrap that piece.
    *Your toon stuff is pretty cool! It's good to have some stylized pieces in your folio (at least in my opinion). Your pilot character could use some texture work though. Right now it looks like you just threw some basic colors onto an AO bake. Especially on the face. Get in there and mix it up! Add some more color, give him some life. Paint on it a little.
  • orpheus85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for your feedback.

The interface being a wordpress photo portfolio theme and editing it meanings html coding. I am totally clueless on coding or programming so I will separate the images to make it look accessible or add another gallery menu bar so that visitors don't hv to waist time figuring where to go. regarding the characters its the camera angle that would be giving it the wired proportions, As i am rendering my models in marmoset I can see the objects stretching as they move away from the camera. Being real time renders I let it be. Will try to improve the renders and push strong models to the top.

Cheers
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    orpheus85 wrote: »
    regarding the characters its the camera angle that would be giving it the wired proportions, As i am rendering my models in marmoset I can see the objects stretching as they move away from the camera. Being real time renders I let it be.

You can sort this out by changing the field of view in Marmoset so it's less wide/fish eye lens.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    A good friend of mine gave me this advice about my website when I first put it up. Anytime you have multiple images of the same asset it looks like you may be trying to inflate your portfolio. He suggested I put all view angles and wire frames of the same asset into one image. You may also want to consider putting all your work on one page. Reducing the amount of clicks to see all your work is key.

The phone booth is one of your strongest environment pieces. Try making that the quality mark for your portfolio. If something doesn't match that level, then take it down. For example, the sci-fi hallway is too bland and doesn't represent the same level of artistry/skill as the phone booth.

I do like the stylized characters quite a bit so maybe put those closer to the top!

I hope my 2 cents helps :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    artquest wrote: »
    You may also want to consider putting all your work on one page. Reducing the amount of clicks to see all your work is key.

x2
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah jam all the work on 1 page. Also you don't need more than 1 (maybe 2 max) shots of each piece then.

Why does everything look like it came from Borderlands? Dump the black outline on the work. It makes everything read weird to me.
  • orpheus85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://nidhinthomas.com/home/

Hiya guys, i have fixed the wedpage and edited the banner look of the page to a more selective option and also added a 3D menu in which you can view my entire work on one page.
    At present am working on the renders.
    Thanks Ex-ray for the marmoset tip.
  • orpheus85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have fixed some of the renders and removed outline around characters. cheers guys
    http://nidhinthomas.com/home/