Home Technical Talk

Two 3DS Max Questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zeemis polycounter lvl 11
Regarding this image, I have two questions:
1. More often than not, the polygon being selected within "Polygon Mode" isn't highlighted as red, as shown in this image. Is there a way to fix that so it shows up as highlighted?
2. How can I increase the size of the red edge lines being selected? I'm pretty sure I've done it once before, but I'm unsure how I managed to do so. Can anyone please direct me in the right direction?

Replies

• Vectroid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vectroid polycounter lvl 7
    1. This one is simple, press F2 to toggle between face highlight/edge highlight.
    2. I've actually never tried doing that, maybe someone else here may help.
  • Zeemis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply Vectroid; however, pressing F2 didn't work for me. F3 allows me to see the highlighted polygon being selected, but only in wireframe mode.
  • Vectroid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if that'll help but try clicking the Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle button right next to your angle snaps button. Then try F2 again.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    F2 is the default hotkey. If you don't have it set, you can set it in the customize menu. It's called:

Shade Selected Faces Toggle

I don't think there is a way to increase the edge rendering size. In Preferences > Viewports you can increase the vertex dot size, but not the edges. The Unwrap UVW window has bold edges, maybe you were remembering that.
  • Zeemis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vectroid wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that'll help but try clicking the Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle button right next to your angle snaps button. Then try F2 again.

It didn't work unfortunately.
    monster wrote: »
    F2 is the default hotkey. If you don't have it set, you can set it in the customize menu. It's called:

Shade Selected Faces Toggle

I don't think there is a way to increase the edge rendering size. In Preferences > Viewports you can increase the vertex dot size, but not the edges. The Unwrap UVW window has bold edges, maybe you were remembering that.

I went into "Customize> Customize User Interface..." and scrolled down to Shade Selected Faces Toggle and it said it was still bound to F2; however, F2 won't change the face being selected in Polygon Mode from being highlighted and not for me.

I should note to all who have been attempting to help me that F2 does shade the selected polygon when I enter Wireframe mode from the top left where Perspective is shown. While in Wireframe, I can press F2 and it shows it unhighlighted then I press it again and it shows it highlighted. It doesn't do this for Perspective mode, just in Wireframe mode.
  • Vectroid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I remember encountering a similar problem once. I fixed it by switching my driver (preferences>viewports>choose driver) from DX10 to DX9 (Back in Max 2010, I didn't have the same problems in future versions) But that might not be it. Still worth a try though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've hit the shaded selected face thing before too in 2012. The display driver was set to Nitrous, reverting ti back to DX9 fixed it. So I think Vectroid might be onto something.