Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tan Lizard for Arena Net Internship

Holy crap another Arena Net art test! I had no idea there were so many threads for the test on here. I'm pretty close to done with mine, just fixing a few issues with my diffuse and normal maps and learning how to do a spec map. Here's the latest Marmoset render followed by the highrez sculpt.

screenshot0.jpg

Tan%252520Lizard%252520Final%252520Sculpt.jpg

Replies

• P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Luke the yeti
    I will most definitely be giving the face some final touches to make it more aggressive, here's a shot of the wireframe from Marmoset (sorry if the triangles make it hard to read, I'm a bit excited about Marmoset). Also I'm having some problems with my normal maps displaying properly, as highlighted in the second image, where the seams between the spikes and the body are ugly and jagged. Not very apparent when the diffuse is on it but I'd rather fix it than cover it up. I'm currently resnapping the lopoly cage and will try repelting the uv's but if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.

Also, 6800 tris.

wires-1.jpg

normal-weirdness-2.jpg
  • Luke the yeti
    Alright I spent another day troubleshooting and painting maps, here's my progress for the day.

I retouched the diffuse map, fixed the weirdness on the normal map, and painted half of a new spec/gloss map. Oh and I reshaped part of the head to make it feel a bit more aggressive from the 3/4 view. I'd love to hear some more c&c before I submit for the art test.

tan-lizard-9-14.jpg

tan-lizard-9-14-2.jpg
  • Luke the yeti
    I just reread the submission criteria, does anyone know if a greyscale spec map usually has an included alpha channel gloss map for tests like this?
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    if you're using a grey scale spec then just include the spec in the red channel and put the gloss in the blue or green of your spec/gloss textures. No need to use an alpha channel if you have others to spare.

of course I guess this depends on the engine and guidelines..
  • Luke the yeti
    Guidelines are a bit vague on this, and the engine I'm using for renders is Marmoset. I know it uses the alpha channel for it's gloss map but don't know if it can use the setup you mentioned...
  • Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    In all honesty I think you need to step up your game a bit for this art test - your wires aren't very efficient, you could have used much less resources and had it look better.
    Material definition is also an issue, the lizard looks like its made of plastic material to me (spec/gloss maps)
    the pose of the creature itself is very awkward. Look at real animals more, get a pose and body shape that feels right. Study the concept more closely. Don't be afraid to adjust where you feel is necessary - I think arenanet can appreciate someone who likes to take risks/give the concept his own twist (however, dont take my word for it.)

Good luck!
  • Luke the yeti
    @Highelf Oof, I'll try to step it as much as I can but honestly this is the highest my game has ever been. I've been working at the Spec all day trying to get less plastic and more leathery skin and scales, will post another shot tonight when I'm done with it.

The marmoset render makes my wires look kinda crappy, here's a clearer shot. I tried to redistribute the polys on the head a bit the other day but it make Topogun freak out and not render any textures on the top of the head, so I went back to the less distributed version. The deadline for this is coming up soon and I don't have time to futz with the UV's again.

I've been thinking of relaxing the pose a bit for the final renders, but that would be a final final final step and done in addition to a standard pose. However, my instructor came down on me a week or so ago for deviating from the concept too much with my scaly treatment on the skin, so I'm going to try to stick to the concept as much as I can. When it all comes down to it, this is a Test.

tan-lizard-wires.jpg
  • Luke the yeti
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I think this looks like a solid piece of work!
    In the latest renders I think the body looks good, but the head doesn't. Try to give it the same love as you've given the upper body. :)

Keep it up!
  • Luke the yeti
    Alright, I've done all I know how to do to the diffuse and specular maps, at this point I gotta spend some time polishing a few other pieces to include in my portfolio for the submission. Thanks for all the feedback and critique, here's my first round of final renders.

Also I gave the mesh a quick pose using ZSpheres.

tan-lizard-render-1.jpg

tan-lizard-render-2.jpg

tan-lizard-render-3.jpg

tan-lizard-render-4.jpg
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Dude this owns my lizard by miles, wished I'd spent more time on it :( Looks really great so far, keep going!

EDIT: Can we see some wires man?
  • EiGHT
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
  • Luke the yeti
    @Torch Thanks man I haven't been outside much the last few weeks....hopefully it'll all pay off.

@eight dude, thanks!

I spent the day trying to polish some other sculpts so I'd have a few decent portfolio pieces to submit with this tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who commented on and critiqued this, it's great to get eyes on your work. Here's my texture breakdown, diffuse normal spec/gloss

lucas-schmidt-art-test-2011-diffuse.jpg

lucas-schmidt-art-test-2011-normal.jpg

lucas-schmidt-art-test-2011-specular.jpg

lucas-schmidt-art-test-2011-gloss.jpg
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Man you did so well with this piece, I think with some tweaking of the background or presentation it'll be a really nice finish. I don't get people in this thread saying you need to up your game, I get you need to go for a high level of quality but it seems like you really gave it your all (nice textures btw.) I'm sure it is going to look great :D
  • Luke the yeti
    Thanks again torch, keep sculpting :) Also here's my final texture and wire sheet.

lucas-schmidt-art-test-2011-texture-sheet-wires.jpg
  • couchcommando
    looks good. I have a question. I've might of missed this somewhere if it's been asked already. I was just going over the turn in requirements for the ArenaNet Internship thing for characters and I am seeing nothing about turning in any project files for it. There is one for environments but not characters. Just making sure with everyone that I did not miss anything or maybe something was posted somewhere on some forum that I might have missed.
  • Luke the yeti
    I do not believe that project files are needed for the creature test.