Home General Discussion

US Gov Sues The Art Institutes

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
http://www.petapixel.com/2011/09/02/us-gov-sues-the-art-institutes-for-11-billion-fraud/

This makes me so happy, first step in an art degree actually being worth something. stop passing kids just to get next years tuition. if you goto med school and you dont know the parts of the human body you dont get a degree, if you goto artschool and you cant draw worth a shit, in 4 years you will still get a degree, its disgusting.

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I gotta admit, this does make me happy a bit. Although I wish they'd crack down on them giving people "degrees" while lots of their schools aren't even accredited.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    LOL it is like one criminal organization suing another criminal organization, as if the US gov hasn't scammed trillions(not billions) of dollars off of tax payers.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    LOL it is like one criminal organization suing another criminal organization.

heh so true.

But it's kinda like when one drug dealer shoots another drug dealer.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I graduate from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in December, and it's true that they will give just about anyone a degree.

3 months from graduation and I honestly have students in my classes that can't unwrap models.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Can they sue my school next?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I graduate from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in December, and it's true that they will give just about anyone a degree.

3 months from graduation and I honestly have students in my classes that can't unwrap models.

UVing is too hard, I'll just work on this one character for 2 months and turbo smooth him 5 times and call it done.
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    i think it all depends school to school (since all the teachers are different and the way the classes work), i went to the Dallas one and the Media Arts and Animation program there is really strict (now) about passing us until our portfolio is up to quality, can't speak about the other departments though :/

but yeah i do agree, Ai seems to let everyone in and many kids drop out or finish the degree but don't know enough/have the proper skills to get into their industries and are stuck paying ridiculous loans :(
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Is the lawsuit over the fact that they're taking on and graduating so many people when there's not enough jobs to go in to, or is it over the fact they're taking on and graduating people too easily?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    oh hell yes. This goes way beyond them giving out degrees to anybody, it's a big scam to leverage federal aid into saddling kids with huge debt so that they can reap profits off the low interest federal loans. If anyone is interested in learning why this is a big problem watch this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/collegeinc/view/

University of Phoenix better watch it's ass.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    TortillaChips,

The lawsuit is about accepting students for the purpose of collecting government financial aid. The evidence are both reasons you stated.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Some news, thanks for the heads up, they are also suing banks.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    MM wrote: »
    LOL it is like one criminal organization suing another criminal organization, as if the US gov hasn't scammed trillions(not billions) of dollars off of tax payers.

I hear Iceland is lovely this time of year.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    What did the US government spend those scammed trillions of dollars on?
    Cuban cigars, Large premium leather executive chairs and 60 year old whiskey.

Aye iceland is lovely <3
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Cuban cigars, Large premium leather executive chairs and 60 year old whiskey.

That or you know funding the war, i mean peace efforts.

Eh, edited my post, no one's opinion ever changes from these discussions.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    ...at this point high schools need to have a required course on making sure students really make better decisions about what they're going to college for, you sure as hell need to make sure the field you're going into will pay you enough to pay off your student loan debt. Here in Seattle you're always, ALWAYS a rock's throw away from a photographer, it's an over-saturated art form that's extremely bottle-necked at the point of entry into a paid gig.

On the other side of the coin, it's really sad that so many US colleges have just become places to sucker idiot kids out of their money, saddling students with fuck tons of unnecessary classes and many places do not slant the education towards finding an entry level job in your field with job placement and proper final projects geared towards portfolio work.

Regardless, the responsibility comes down to the student first and the college a distant second about making the right decisions for an individual's future.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    heres to hoping that this pans out positively for those that are currently in a massive mound of debt.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »

I can see what you are insinuating there and who you are trying to make a comparison with!

i will just say this, every good artist needs to be able to criticize their own work to get better and every patriotic US citizen needs to be able to criticize their own government.

ps. those trillions of dollars goes to the pockets of the billionairs selling weapons used to commit mass genocide all over the world
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Human race, you so crazy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    ...at this point high schools need to have a required course on making sure students really make better decisions about what they're going to college for,

actually they do, guidance councilors, the most thankless job in the education system. Luckily I actually talked to mine and grabbed up all that free money that's sitting around for students too lazy to actually pursue it. In Florida, most of the money comes from the idiot tax a.k.a. the Lottery.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well glad I didn't go to AI now. =)

BRAZIL HERE I COME !
  • Mrskullface
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I wonder if this means I can get a refund?
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Wouldn't that be nice?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    They had it coming. I just feel kinda bad for all the students that were ripped off. What a sad world.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I went to AI, and shit worked out pretty fucking sweet for me :)

then again that inst too say that going to AI was the reason for it, but it was a contributing factor.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    TomDunne wrote: »

Somalia is a nice change of pace, as well.

Back on topic, passing students along just to get huge tuition windfalls is not exclusive to for-profit colleges. This is a nationwide problem that permeates our entire higher education system.

I'm glad to hear about this, but the cultures of "everyone has to go to college and they all deserve an A" has to go before this will change.

Edit: No matter where you go to school, you're going to get out of it what you put into it (unless you're rich and go to some big-name Ivy league school - then you get a lot more return on little investment of effort).
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »

then again that inst too say that going to AI was the reason for it, but it was a contributing factor.

Same here, and I know there are a lot of us who managed to get good jobs out of AI. The school itself and curriculum weren't very good, but a few teachers, along with my own will to learn helped me get out ahead. The big deal here that I see (not relating to law suit so much), is that the bar is so damn fucking low for kids to actually graduate from these schools.

It was a good experience for me, but that's not to say I didn't see dozens of students getting by on work that would never, ever get them a job in this industry, or really help them expand their abilities in any way. On my way out however, I was seeing these conditions change, and the expectations being raised by teachers for these kids.

I just hope this all resolves itself in a positive way for the schools and the students.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Putting the corp behind Ai on the side for now, and all the bullcrap that goes on with that place (I got horror stories you wouldn't believe), it's still a school. And there are still teachers that really do want to teach that go there. And even... gasp... students that want to learn. So every once in a while you get the "broken clock being right" situation where you combine teachers that want to teach with students that want to learn, and it works. But Ai itself has nothing to do with that. Those same people could have met other places just the same (*cough*Polycount*cough) and did well just the same.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    actually they do, guidance councilors, the most thankless job in the education system. Luckily I actually talked to mine and grabbed up all that free money that's sitting around for students too lazy to actually pursue it. In Florida, most of the money comes from the idiot tax a.k.a. the Lottery.

They do, but like you mention it is EXTREMELY under-valued, as high school these days seem to be meant more to churn out teens ready to become worker bees rather than creative individuals. At my high school our required career guidance was little more than another standardized test.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also like to mention that when my dad died, Sallie Mae wiped out his share of my college debt. Between scholarships and that I went for $10k. Damn you US government!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Autocon viewpost.gif

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    And even a dedicated person makes something of themselves?

Autocon got out what he put in which is a lot more than what you can say for a lot of the students who attend and fail. It's partly the schools fault for passing anyone who can keep a chair warm but its also a failure on the students part thinking it would be "just that easy".

I agree, hopefully this will be a step toward making a degree worth something.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And even a dedicated person makes something of themselves?

What I was trying to say.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I made low poly characters and some rudimentary environment art for my Senior II class in the limited time I had between working on my portfolio and sleeping every other day. The group I was in had maybe two others who were at all motivated to work on coding and animation respectively.

Keep in mind this was not just for internal review, Alex Seropian and several others from the Wideload team were to stop in on the final day of class. When the time finally came those on the team who didn't give a fuck were given the task of presenting this thing to the people who made Stubbs the Zombie.

What they had was not the very rough prototype we made. It was a Maya playblast of the main character floating and rotating around a bunch of corridors with one or two of my textures on the wall.

They forgot to turn off the viewport HUD. The Wideload guys were exceedingly nice about not pointing out the obvious bullshit in front of them. I sort of tried to hunch over into a shame-ball and disappear.

I'm pretty sure every one of those fuckers graduated.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17

same situation at my school.

maybe not all of you have heard but it was a big deal down in florida. at the Art institute of fort lauderdale this was made into a BIG deal because one of the students who was majoring in game-art actually picked up stripping after she graduated in order to pay off her loans. generally her work wasnt good enough and the school passed her anyway.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnBWvatALOc[/ame]
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Oniram wrote: »
    same situation at my school.

maybe not all of you have heard but it was a big deal down in florida. at the Art institute of fort lauderdale this was made into a BIG deal because one of the students who was majoring in game-art actually picked up stripping after she graduated in order to pay off her loans. generally her work wasnt good enough and the school passed her anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnBWvatALOc

she called stripping a field of study
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    “I didn’t receive the education, the knowledge, the skills to become successful in my field of study and that is why I am working as a stripper in the adult entertainment industry.”

I like how she said she didn’t receive the skills to become successful, I’m pretty sure you, yourself have to work for those :P
    Anyways, I worked my butt off at Ai, we had some awesome teachers who pushed us (and I’m very thankful for them), but we had to push ourselves in order to reach our goals and a lot of kids going there seem to think it’s like high school (from what I’ve noticed), take the class, pass it, get a diploma, ta-da “now I’m a super duper awesome artist with mad skills yay!” And that’s just not how it works, got to work for those shinny shinny portfolios outside of classes and push yourself to be the best, the teachers are there to help and to teach the materials but you’re the only one who can make your work shine :)
    I have read some horror stories coming from different branches, so it’s really sad when a passionate person enrolls only to find out that their teachers don’t know anything and teach them from a book while they are learning from it themselves. That’s why I highly recommend talking to the students there to see if it’s a good school. I’ve had friends asking about my Ai and if it’s worth while, and it is because the school has the materials, but they just have to have it in them to live and breath the industry in order to make it :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The problem is they let any shmuck in and give them false hope that they too can produce the art they showcase on their walls and brag how they place students at all these studios. The teachers at my Ai in San Diego really do care, and really do try. But the higher ups force them to pass the students and other bullshit. I feel bad for the teachers and the students who really do want to try.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13

I went to AI Seattle, back in the early-mid 2000's when the industry was booming and the big deal was having a degree to get your foot into the job field (something I now know to be bullshit, but EVERYBODY told my 19-year-old self that).

I had some good teachers and some bad teachers, and lots of well-meaning and competent but not instructionally-talented teachers. Some of them I learned some decent stuff from, some of them I learned how to deal with people who weren't worth your time, and a few I'm still friends with.

There was nothing approaching a cohesive end-to-end curriculum that would prepare somebody to actually set foot into the industry upon finishing. What I later DID discover is that their placement figures were complete lies, and one of the guys that was supposed to help graduates connect with job opportunities was the biggest parasitic waste of flesh I've ever personally met. Mr. Perrine, if you're reading this, fuck. You. I've had NINE PEOPLE who went to AIS personally recount how worthless you were, and how you took credit for hirings that either A) never happened, or more frequently B) were somebody else's accomplishment.

I had to teach myself how to unwrap, and the concepts of "edge flow", "box modeling", "edge loops", and minor stuff like "silhouette" and "volume" never came up in classes. I've learned more, faster, for free, from Polycount than I did from AIS in 2.5 years for tens of thousands of dollars in Stafford loans.

These days, I tell anybody interested in getting into game art to get a hard art degree from a 4-year college, learn to paint, learn to sculpt, and then pick up the software.

I wish I could get my money back. :poly127:
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    be1c7a49891303877716.jpg

I went to said AI of Ft Lauderdale and with Said Stripper girl and all that jazz. And I am glad to see this POS school sued for the fraud and tuition it rapped from its locals. Granted I dont feel bad for stripper mc strippy pants because honestly she never worked hard as far as outside of school goes , and since the school had no clear direction of WTF it was doing its students were like all 1/2 assed. The ones who DID make it either got scooped up by the local (and only) studio being shadows in darkness or the rest learned on there own and left that place and went to where the industry is. (Me and a few others)

If I wasnt buddies with a few people and stubborn as hell to get into this field and learned of places like polycount to start my initial networking, I probably would have been stripping to. Or professional Cage fighter or whatever.

[REMOVED]
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'd love to see links to people portfolios who are complaining about not being given jobs after graduating from any school.

It seems like there are a lot of factors not being taken into consideration by these people when they decided to pursue their career choices.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    seforin wrote: »
    Something about being heartless and throwing money at girls while they dance.

Heartless isn't the word I would use. Try and not use sexist remarks so I don't receive any more complaints from some of our female members.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    We were sitting around talking with the head of the art department at my school. He joked "They say 90% of our graduates have jobs upon graduation. What they don't tell you is they mean at Burger King!"

No one laughed.
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets not forget all the people who had to drop out from debt, and ended up with debt, and NO Degree.

There's plenty of people who 'made it' in their industry of choice out of an Ai school, but its pretty clear that the majority of them would have done good without it anyway, or just an alternate venue.

Its sad when you hear employers talk about how they instantly turn down any resume with the words "Art Institute of" printed upon it.

And everyones realised how bogus their claims of job placement and pay-scales has been over the years.

The Ai's stiffed a lot of people. I hope the gov forces them to start refunding large portions of those peoples payments as well.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    LRoy wrote: »
    We were sitting around talking with the head of the art department at my school. He joked "They say 90% of our graduates have jobs upon graduation. What they don't tell you is they mean at Burger King!"

No one laughed.
    HAHAHAAA- uyhh.... yeah....
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I taught a class last semester at the Champlain College of Vermont. I was VERY fortunate to end up with 5 highly motivated students (3 of them got internships this past summer).

I often just referred to them as 'guided missiles'. Gave them the assignment, the theory, and let them find their own way around that (often they would find really resourceful means of doing things and teach me various shortcuts and such).
    The focus of my assignments weren't simply to get the assignment done. But focus on more fundamental skills, like reference searching, anatomical understanding, surface properties, and attention to detail.

I get the feeling what most schools are NOT teaching are 'paradigms', or theories. They emphasize things like 'tech', and programs, which change so rapidly they're practically not worth teaching. Then focus on having them spend significant amounts of time on demo reels in editing packages that they will never need to know outside of that class.

The flip side is, if I had 5 highly unmotivated students, who expected me to motivate them, and take responsibility for their own failings (which some of the other instructors have had to deal with), then this lawsuit could have very well been about instructors like me.

Oh yeah, there are politics/financial motivations to pass students.
    If a student takes up a 'spot' in a course, if they 'fail' or are held back, then there's a tremendous amount of money for their 'spot' that is lost from that class.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm an Art Institute of Dallas dropout!

I didn't let that stop me though. I made shit work for me by working my ass off. I actually got an industry job before almost all my classmates that graduated from the AID. Some never got a job in the game industry, and that was 12 years ago.

I wonder if I can get back some of the money that I wasted going there...
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I found this polycount banner ad to be very fitting for this topic!

pcount.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Having taught through some of these programs, given my worst students Fs, then watching the dean change it cause they whined enough, I am glad for this lawsuit.

They are money making schemes, not education. Games, film, architecture, all are too complicated for the average parent, or guidance councilor to know anything about, so if you have a shiny impressive campus tour and demo dvd and some stats about 90% placement, those kids and parents will sign a loan.

At that point the parent is relying on the school to "tell them" by way of grades, if it's a good use of their money. If the student isn't doing projects, slacking off, and not attending classes, or just turning in really rudimentary work, the bad grades will let them know, and they can pull their kid, but that would mean an end to the checks, so the schools don't allow it. Teachers who grade harshly aren't kept around. Everyone is passed so that everyone's checks come until they graduate, or their credit dries up.

Plenty of people in the industry know these degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on, it's all about the portfolio, but an 18-20 year old with stars in their eyes and Gears of War on the brain doesn't get to talk to them, so the whole "free market" principles don't get to come into play (even assuming they worked in the first place) because the shitty reputation can never circulate back to the "customers".

Obviously art can't be regulated at the same level legal knowledge or medical anatomy can, but I can tell you from my classes, I could tell which students shouldn't have gone into 80-120k dollars of debt, cause they were never ever going to be industry caliber. That's even assuming they should be allowed to charge so much for an education.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Teachers who grade harshly aren't kept around. Everyone is passed so that everyone's checks come until they graduate, or their credit dries up.

Everything you said is spot on, and I have experienced it both first and second hand, and I went to a state univ. There is a great deal of pressure leveled on educators to pass students. Basically, the only professors who can grade as they see fit are those with tenure.