Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - reiro

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
reiro polycounter lvl 10
Hey there iam in the beginning of starting my website and reel which will be an ongoing process till summer. So i got about 5 months to get a reel that is tailored to environment art.

To increase the chance of landing a job at some point i would like to get as much feedback and crits as i can.
header.jpg

List of planed changes:

Reel
- since i want to apply as an environment artist i need about 3 environments fully textured and lit well in crysis or unreal engine including more detailed breakdowns
- mp40 needs to be baked to lowpoly and fully textured and set up into a small nice setup to show more than just a simple gun.
- the london themed street needs some more detail and probably a better composition. Any suggestion always welcome. This is how far iam at atm: http://www.blindest.de/wip_lowpoly03.jpg
- the head needs to be put out since iam not applying as character artist
- the lifedrawing is too messy and needs to be replaced with proper lifedrawings

Website
- texture maps need to be added (normal/spec/diffuse)
- possibly a more simple layout

As someone else said BLESS ME WITH YOUR CRITS ;D

Replies

• reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    I ll try to post any progress i make here to keep me motivated.

Atm iam blocking out a rough level idea for a temple environment in UDK. Nothing much to it yet
    since it only represents scale and the rough theme.

onemore4.jpg

Lighting and Textures are just "placeholders"...update soon
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    One more update on my low poly for my MP40.
    Any crits on the wireframe always welcome.

mp40wire01.jpg
  • uneditablepoly
    Just a little note about your logo/banner graphic, I thought it was "Anne Paulsen" with a box to the left of it for a long time before I got that it was actually "Janne Paulsen."
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Just a little note about your logo/banner graphic, I thought it was "Anne Paulsen" with a box to the left of it for a long time before I got that it was actually "Janne Paulsen."

Umm now as you mention it i notice it aswell, probably have to change it a bit.
    Thanks.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like you have a pretty good handle on what you need to do. I agree with pretty much everything in your todo list.

It's a bit hard to critique the work itself given that most of it is still in progress. Looks good so far, but it would be nice to see some texture maps.

For your temple. Do you have a top down diagram, concept, or something similar that could give an idea of where its going? right now its hard to say much about it.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Update. WIP Rockwall for the temple sculpted in Zbrush.
    Any crits welcome.

• reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    WIP on Headsculpt which will be part of the rock as a carving. Needs some more cleanup and probably retopo since its sculpted from a plane.

headsculpt03.jpg
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Rough concept to show where its going.

concept.jpg
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take out the life drawing stuff at the end of your demo reel. Put your best bad ass piece at the end of it.

Good luck!
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Titus S wrote: »
    Take out the life drawing stuff at the end of your demo reel. Put your best bad ass piece at the end of it.

Good luck!

While I do think you should lose the life drawing, I disagree about putting your best work last; you should always put your best work at the front of your reel. People that see reels every day all day in a hiring position might not even watch the whole thing. I know that when I'm looking at prospective hires here at work I tend to skip around on reels. Also, you cut to the wireframe of your lamppost before I get to see a close up of the top part.

The london scene is a good start so far, what will really sell that piece is the mood that you are able to establish with the lighting.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    what i would tell you if i were to hire you:

never show temporary stuff!!!

The only chance is ONLY if they ask you to show extra work and if they already look very good but are unfinished. Explain that it is work in progress and make it clear!

Regarding what i see here and your website reel,

the level stuff look a bit flat. (temporary but they incite comment regardless)

the london street is too early
    the lamp details feel too "soft"
    music is good
    the skull is good, the sketches not so good remove them as mentioned by others.

your models are clean but your textures lackluster and plain.
    you do not appear to make proper use of specular on that street part.

your strongest piece by far is that asian head sculpt here which looks amazing.
    the gun looks ok but compared to what others do is a bit simplistic in terms of model complexity and detail.

I would offer you a placement as a junior artist but at disadvantage. within the next days some other candidate might appear with similar or superior skills. Especially now with so many skilled people looking!!!

You have 5 months. make them count :)

If you have an idea where you want to apply, (which would be a good idea to have in mind before you start making a portfolio) then i suggest you should make relevant assets to what they are working on. That will show also that you are not just an artst looking for a job, but you actually are aware of what that studio is doing and that you are someone who does their research.

What i would like to see from environment artists and depending on the project that they will be assisting would be some or all of the following :

Sci-fi environment engineering or med lab
    Urban environment
    High fantasy town street
    Cave Interior
    Rocks
    Various Assorted Props (pick a theme)
    Buildings (deteriorated preferably or old so you can show a lot of texture work) interior or exterior
    Stadium
    Aeroplane
    Car
    Old sailboat
    Cave exterior
    pets and farm animals maybe

You get the idea.
    Do your research, hone your skills, 5 months are more than enough to make a good portfolio.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree about putting your best work last; you should always put your best work at the front of your reel. People that see reels every day all day in a hiring position might not even watch the whole thing.
    The london scene is a good start so far, what will really sell that piece is the mood that you are able to establish with the lighting.

I couldn't agree more. I interview about 5 people per month, i review 10- 20 portfolios per month and that after HR has filtered them following certain guidelines.

Your best work should definitely be in front, and if you have 2-3 more good pieces at middle and at the end so they negate the ok pieces and leave a good impression at the end.

also do not put bulk just because you have it lying there.
    I prefer to see 5-6 good pieces than 10 with half being ok or less.
    It shows you have poor criteria and you might need a lot of supervision.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    This should be your first page..

http://www.blindest.de/janne_paulsen_com/portfolio.html

I was always told by others to create a 'crap sandwich' with my demo reel, best stuff in front, more crappy stuff in middle, second best stuff at the end.
  • JacekC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool job....................................
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol jeremy, then my suggestion is crap club sandwich :)
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Something else I noticed was, I can't even watch your reel. It says I am not allowed to view it. Could turn potential employers off.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Something else I noticed was, I can't even watch your reel. It says I am not allowed to view it. Could turn potential employers off.

Well due to "dont show unfinished stuff" i put my reel off for now.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Update on Temple. Did various rock texture tests and nailed it down to 2.
    Next step is to sculpt this texture. Atm this is just crazybumped for preview.

The Temple itself is just a blockout yet which iam going to sculpt soon.

Any feedback or which one you prefer appreciated.

texture_test05.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Love the Sculpt Mask and The rocks ^^ .... and look foward for seeing more is this in cryengine or Unreal? Btw what techs u used for the rocks? Just to know since I am making rocks too and as in beginning I tought they where a easy fast job I soon realized that they require actually much more work than a manmade structure to me :/ ....

And for the preference I like the second , what u did to get that difference?

How about adding extruding roots and climbing or hanging tree roots orplants , may be some water spilling from the top? Sunrays ... debris on ground , Broken items or statues scattered around , displaced ground pavement stones broken by may be earthquakes and plant growing?

Btw the links to ur portfolio page dont work ...
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Love the Sculpt Mask and The rocks ^^ .... and look foward for seeing more is this in cryengine or Unreal? Btw what techs u used for the rocks? Just to know since I am making rocks too and as in beginning I tought they where a easy fast job I soon realized that they require actually much more work than a manmade structure to me :/ ....

And for the preference I like the second , what u did to get that difference?

How about adding extruding roots and climbing or hanging tree roots orplants , may be some water spilling from the top? Sunrays ... debris on ground , Broken items or statues scattered around , displaced ground pavement stones broken by may be earthquakes and plant growing?

Btw the links to ur portfolio page dont work ...

Hi thanks for feedback.
    To answer your questions this is a Max Render ;)
    I ll use Unreal Engine though.

I know what you are talking about. I thought the same. Rocks are quite a challenge actually.
    The rocks you see is not the end result, i just used crazybump to see how that rocktype would look like.

Iam going to create some alphas and then sculpt the rock surface from a plane. Then render out a displacement and make it tileable in photoshop and reload it afterwards into the sculpt prog for last fixtures.

Will post the result later today.
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    I hate to be picky and point out finnicky things. But on your temple there is a pretty noticeable texture seam in the top left on the rock. If this is a portfolio piece I would either fix that or find a different angle to render at. The rocks and lighting look great, and that head sculpt is very impressive, I'd hate to for you to miss out on opportunities because of something as trivial as a seam. :)
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    MegaMoogle wrote: »
    I hate to be picky and point out finnicky things. But on your temple there is a pretty noticeable texture seam in the top left on the rock. If this is a portfolio piece I would either fix that or find a different angle to render at. The rocks and lighting look great, and that head sculpt is very impressive, I'd hate to for you to miss out on opportunities because of something as trivial as a seam. :)

Thanks but thats no way near fininshed :)
    It was just a quick test without any fixes in the normal map and seams.

A bigger update on the temple high poly stuff. Its still WIP.

The rock is still WIP. Fixtures and update soon. Will bake this week and put everything into unreal.

rock_01.jpg
    overview.jpg
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus S wrote: »
    Put your best bad ass piece at the end of it.

Good luck!

Just a quick post while I'm at work. Do NOT do this. Put your best bad ass piece at the very start of the portfolio, NEVER put your best piece at the end, you HAVE to convince the person with the first thing they see. Cannot stress that enough.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    your link is broken.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    vofff wrote: »
    your link is broken.

Touched up my Portfolio so the link is fixed :)

logo4.png
    http://www.janne-paulsen.com

Please feel free to crit it.
    Thanks.

temple_beautyshot_1280_720_2.jpg

temple_txtsheet_1540_1280_pillarm.jpg

temple_txtsheet_1280_720_rock.jpg

creplux_staircase_beautyshot_1280_720.jpg
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    This is some cool stuff! Would it be possible to see that rock texture tiled? I think it'd be more impressive if it showed how well it looked once it's been tiled.

That last picture is a little confusing. We see the shadow but it's hard to tell what's causing it, one main reason being, it's a very complicated shadow (lots of lines etc.). We see the bright white light (that's casting more of a beige on the wall?) but the scene is mostly dominated by a blue light, which we don't see the source of. It feels a little confusing-- Everything in the picture looks really cool on it's own, great textures and form, but the lighting is really, really hurting it. Try working that out a little more.

Great stuff so far!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I think the scenes are good from a technical level. But the angle and composition is meh or uninteresting.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Hey havent posted anything for awhile. Overhauling my Website again so any comments are appreciated @ http://www.janne-paulsen.com

RESTOWER REMAKE (NATURAL SELECTION 2)
    Project Description: The restower is based on a concept (http://www.naturalselection2.com/conceptart/) of the game Natural Selection 2. I set myself the goal to do a total makeover of the actual game model and push it to next gen standard while staying true to the concept. However. I decided early on to widen the whole model to give it a bit more of a massive feel in order to make it look stronger and powerful to underline its purpose.
    The normal map was baked of a high poly model. All textures (1024
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    why are all your textures so High? it worries me that some of them look like 512x512. The resolution is blurry on most of them. the base of the pillar is the most obvious, it looks super blurry, especially for a 2048 texture? and either way that's too big for such a small prop.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    why are all your textures so High? it worries me that some of them look like 512x512. The resolution is blurry on most of them. the base of the pillar is the most obvious, it looks super blurry, especially for a 2048 texture? and either way that's too big for such a small prop.

I know its old stuff and hurts my eyes aswell :) I probably should not have it on there anymore. Any crits on the new stuff since thats most relevant.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Your images are down for me :(
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The green paint areas have some really nice diffuse work going but the light grey metal and the spec is sort of killing it for me. I'm not getting any sense of real materials. It looks like the spec is just a contrasted up diffuse texture or you aren't differentiating paint and rust surfaces enough. Also, better lighting and camera views could do a lot. That wide angle perspective looking down on the model kills any sense of scale.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    The green paint areas have some really nice diffuse work going but the light grey metal and the spec is sort of killing it for me. I'm not getting any sense of real materials. It looks like the spec is just a contrasted up diffuse texture or you aren't differentiating paint and rust surfaces enough. Also, better lighting and camera views could do a lot. That wide angle perspective looking down on the model kills any sense of scale.

Yea i noticed that aswell. I also had some trouble with the 3Point Shader setup for the materials. It never seemed to look right especially the metal.

I might try the UDK for better shader work, maybe a cubemap on the metal helps to sell it?
    Here is the Spec:
    naturalSel_SPEC.jpg

Pretty much used the diff just as a spec base, then controlled rust/dirt/paint/stickers seperate and darkened it down. Lightend up edges and the glow parts.
    So whats wrong? How to rescue it? :)

And yeah i totally agree on the cam angle and lighting. Will fix this.
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    I think your website needs to be presented better, I think it is best to feature all of your work all in one monitor shot.

At the minute it feels too much like a blog, and some people might not even look at the work right at the bottom.

Try and replicate these examples:

http://www.ivassago.com/index.html
    http://www.digitalmarino.com/
    http://www.razvanimation.com/
    http://sixduck.org/index.html
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    richwderby wrote: »
    I think your website needs to be presented better, I think it is best to feature all of your work all in one monitor shot.

At the minute it feels too much like a blog, and some people might not even look at the work right at the bottom.

Try and replicate these examples:

http://www.ivassago.com/index.html
    http://www.digitalmarino.com/
    http://www.razvanimation.com/
    http://sixduck.org/index.html

Well i wanted to reduce the clicks you need to get to the content. I wanted instant access to all work without clicking on thumbnails. Most of your links use that technique. I dont know whats better though, more scrolling not clicking or clicking less scrolling ;)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I like the site layout. Simple and clean and considering you dont have much content this should do you for now. later if you add much more stuff you might have to break it up as it was suggested above.
    I also have to agree the specular is not really working too good atm :)