Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Building Explosion

This is my first post on here and I would just like to get some critiques on what everyone thinks.

I got the environment from a fellow classmate of mine, so anything in that area is out of my reach.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFywSufcfUA[/ame]

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it really depends wat you wanted to show. did you make a rig for that and baked it all out in max and got a cool way to export this, or did you do a runtime simulation in unreal?
  • Konoco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I broke it all up and did the simulation all in Maya.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    everything looks like it should be heavier, right now it has a bit of the stereotypical Styrofoam debris look most games have on their destructible objects. if things fly so far for huge chunks like that it looks fake. maybe some larger chunks that just kinda collapse with smaller debris and smoke exploding out of it?
  • Konoco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything looks like it should be heavier, right now it has a bit of the stereotypical Styrofoam debris look most games have on their destructible objects. if things fly so far for huge chunks like that it looks fake. maybe some larger chunks that just kinda collapse with smaller debris and smoke exploding out of it?

Yeah I was having trouble with the weight issue. If I made them fall faster and hit harder it just looked like it was sped up and not actually "heavy". It's something I just need to sit down with for a day and tweak. When I'll have that time i can't say. I do appreciate the input, thanks.
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look up "building explosion" on youtube you will get a lot of results.
    From what I can see it looks like things have a tend to be either very small pieces that fly a lot, or large pieces that don't fly, but fall.

If you look around 0:22 you see some of the medium pieces that would easily weigh 5 kilos or more seem to be gently wafting down. That doesn't seem right!

In this situation I would expect the explosion to "crack" the building as such, with only clouds of very small debris and maybe a few medium pieces coming out, since when an explosion occurs it tends to find and push against the weakest points, rather than hitting all parts equally. The explosion would certainly rush down the stairs in to the bottom story, and blow out any windows.

Also, the dust is not enough, and the smoke comes too late! Again, watch some real large explosions and you will see that as the fire fads it is replaced by smoke.