Home General Discussion

Is it safe to live in London

BojanStankovski
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
I'm planning in next few years 2-3 to move in London.But before i do, i want to hear from someone who live there, to share their experience for someone like me,Is it safe to live there.I know that some places on the world are far more dangerous than UK, but i am interest for London:)

Replies

• Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    It's not safe as long as they let people like Ruz roam free.
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    quite a big place london, which part?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Well yeah.

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Westminster,%20London,%20UK#crimetypes

It pretty safe, it has large amount of policing and generally nice. Busy as hell though.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    London is like any city, there's always dangerous areas. All depends where you are. The city center is fine as far as cities go.
    Don't go too far south tho ;) Places that end in "ey" or "ham" stay away from lol.

Specify abit more perhaps?
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well,Which places are safe?

I don't know which place i want to live, just want a advice for that. London is really big city so any place it will be fine for me.Even in the center:)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It depends on where you live and how often you hang around in that neighbourhood. I lived in Kilburn, I saw some weird shit happening sometimes but I never really cared enough to stay and watch. I was careful and stayed away from hoodlums, bad places and what not.
    It all depends on who you are too, some people are like asshole-magnets. I'm thankful I'm not one of them but some have really bad luck when it comes to that, they just attract easily-provoced assholes for a, to me, unknown reason.
    I think the riots have clamed down now too so if that's what's worrying you then I think it's alright. I say go for it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The general rule is that if you can afford to live there, that's the dodgier part of London. In any case though, you'll normally be fine if you're just sensible.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where are you from ? Maby try to find an area which is populated by your culture so you feel less alienated if it's your first time there. It is a massive city. For me a change from 400k ppl town to 12 milion was a bit overwhelming when I got there first but with time it got easier. I used to stay and move between houses in the Wood Green, Edmonton, Tottenham areas.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    You won't be safe unless you're in one of these:
    jake+bubble+boy.jpg

It's perfectly safe for a big city. Big cities are (usually) going to be a bit less safe than living in the middle of nowhere. Go figure.

Just don't get involved in gangs, drug deals or serious criminality and you should be fine. Chances are you will be anyway.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Whilst this is a generalization and I know certain areas are naturally higher in crime than others, most areas are pretty much the same and will have its nice parts and more rough parts.

My girlfriend lives in Kennington and it's fine around there, though again there are some rough parts. My cousin lives in Kilburn and again, its nice, but when you go more up towards Cricklewood it's a little more rough.

Just look for areas you like the look of, then go in and research crime statistics!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    where are you originally from? in the next year or so, they are changing the immigration rules for the uk, so it will be alot harder to get a work visa, and you can no longer get a permanent residency through a work visa.

however, from what i hear, london is pretty safe. obviously certain parts are worse, but with all the cameras (its something like 3-1 cameras - people), its safe. and if something does happen, they can usually find the guy/girl.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    choosing the right part of town to live in looks pretty simple:
    map+of+london.jpg
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I live in Macedonia, at the moment i am volunteer at fx3x http://www.fx3x.com/
    Is a VFX studio for films. After that if i am good they will probably hire me.So i want to stay there at least 2 years to get some experience. Then i want to start applying for work of some of the London VFX studios. Like, MPC, Double negative etc.
    They all in Soho, so i want to know how is it there.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Soho isn't somewhere you probably want to live. Unless you like stepping over people who are too drunk / drugged up to be anything other than sprawled across the pavement (during the day).
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    Soho isn't somewhere you probably want to live. Unless you like stepping over people who are too drunk / drugged up to be anything other than sprawled across the pavement (during the day).

Wow is that really bad?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Soho is fine to work in, just not live in, i don't recommend staying out too late ;) It's known for... Prostitution, drugs and drunks... and studios!
    Only slightly joking too.
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soho is fine to work in, just not live in, i don't recommend staying out too late ;) It's known for... Prostitution, drugs and drunks... and studios!
    Only slightly joking too.

No i never stay to late at night even here where i live.Always have drunk people, especially youth people.If want to stay at late, i probably will be with friends. I see people from here are meeting up in London.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    My cousin lives in Kilburn and again, its nice, but when you go more up towards Cricklewood it's a little more rough.

And right next door to Willesdon and Harlesdon, which has had the highest murder rate in the UK. I once ended up walking around that area at night unable to find a taxi (with a couple of overly loud and drunk girls in tow). Then when I finally got one outside of Harlesdon, the cabbie told me that neither they, nor the police, will drive through the area.

The thing with London is that you have rough parts and wealthy parts all mixed into each other. You do need to know where is where.