Home General Discussion

Giving up the high poly or not?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

Just need some opinions on something. I've been freelancing for a while now and my newest clients is requesting that I also give him the highpoly models I've made. Just to clarify, what he wanted was game ready models so i had to make high polys in order to bake normals etc. Then after the first model as done he said he wanted the high poly just incase he needed to re-bake anything. I said he could have it as long as it was for this project only and i keep all rights to it. Fair in my opinion, but now he is saying he wants full rights to them included in the finished models I make. This seems very unfair especially considering I've been giving him a substantial discount all along in order to help him get this game up and running.

As far as I'm concerned, the high polys are just tools used to create the low poly game ready models and I should be able to use them as i see fit. I am also a little worried that maybe this guy, whose business partner is a 3D artist, will just use them to easily create and sell new models at my expense.

Anyway just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and what they've done.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'd just tell them that access to the highpoly models will cost extra.

are the models based off designs they gave you? if this is true then the highpoly models aren't really yours to keep since they're 'derivative works'

what does it say in your contract? does it say something like "submit all files related to the job" ?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah check the contract, and just tell them it'd be more for the assets. I've heard people that freelance full animations, and they charge 10x for the source files included with the final animations, because often they'll try to find a cheaper artist just to do a crappier just with your assets.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Always make sure there is a section in your contract that specifically designates what you're expected to deliver. If that's not in there, things can get really sticky.
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    Unless the contract says that everything you make, while billing hours to the said contractor, must be deliver to the client, then it's up to you if you feel it is worth the fallout. This is no different than normal employment at any studio.

If it was a sub-d model, you can always give him the high-rez frozen/collapsed asset. That would reduce its re usability, while keeping its purpose for rebaking. Though many studios usually require the high rez because they run into animation issues that need mesh tweaking, or game-play issues if it is an environment that requires rework, that destroys the current unwrap.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've told him it will cost extra for the high polys. I've also told him that I dont mind him using the high polys for this project just as long as I keep the rights and for my last project quote he said he wanted the rights which tells me he is looking to make and sell some models using them.

Also the contract said nothing like "all files". There was a specific list of file types and if he accepts my new quote I will be making a list of the file types to be submitted.

Also, the models are not of guns M4's AK's etc.... All he gave me was a reference image or two as to exactly what he wanted then I made the high poly myself from scratch
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 wrote: »
    If it was a sub-d model, you can always give him the high-rez frozen/collapsed asset. That would reduce its re usability, while keeping its purpose for rebaking.

:) I like that... Very clever lol
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    http://vimeo.com/22053820 Watch this thing. It's about what to do if clients change the terms or something.

It's called "Fuck You. Pay Me."
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    Esprite, thank you for that video, I'm only halfway through, and it's amazing.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I always include the high res models, ie my contract generally specifies high poly model + low poly and textures.
    It never occurred to me to withhold the high poly models, i mean why would you?
    if the client wants to sell the high poly model even, that his perogative and that's what he had paid for.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    *I don't free lance but what I've heard and seen from other freelancers in different parts of the 3d industry.*
    Its completely a personal choice. You should always go off what the contract says, but some artists provide the bare minimum because they feel like the client will have to come back to them for anything relating to that project, so that equals more work. But most of them are willing to part from the high poly assets or the scene files for more cash.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Shit yeah Esprite Favorited, thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never been in a situation where the highpoly asset and all relevant source files wouldn't be delivered to the client. I mean, why wouldn't you? Its not like you will be able to re-use the work again, unless its something entirely generic. In all likelyhood the design and everything is going to be property of the client, so really, I'm not sure why you would be concerned about it.

Generally, your contract is going to say that the asset and any works created during the process of construction, is the exclusive property of the client. This is how most contracts go, unless you specifically negotiate different terms.

This means high, sculpts, low, psds etc. Generally we(3ps) will provide a nice clean bake file with keyframes for exploded bakes too, in the format of the client's choice. Requiring this for rebakes etc is very common.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Its completely a personal choice. You should always go off what the contract says, but some artists provide the bare minimum because they feel like the client will have to come back to them for anything relating to that project, so that equals more work. But most of them are willing to part from the high poly assets or the scene files for more cash.

This is what we in the industry like to refer to as a "Dick Move", it is more likely to get you shitlisted than rehired.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Esprite wrote: »
    http://vimeo.com/22053820 Watch this thing. It's about what to do if clients change the terms or something.

It's called "Fuck You. Pay Me."

I like the cut of this guy's jib.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    This is what we in the industry like to refer to as a "Dick Move", it is more likely to get you shitlisted than rehired.

Thats exactly what I thought. All high poly source files and rights always go to the employer, its not as if you can use the model or sell it again, especially if you've signed an NDA. If you want to show your work in your portfolio then thats different to having rights to the assets. Thats just gaining permission to show the model. which is usually a case of just emailing/phoning and asking them and then showing them before you put it up incase you break any legal stuff for them or the work doesnt look good enough etc.

Most models will need a bit of tweaking later on in development and so makes sense that they have everything to do that rather then a constant back and forth with the original artist who could be working another job and cost them an arm and a leg to move a few verts. If it worries you that you might not get more work from it then I will say just make sure you do a good job and are easy to work with. Ive been asked back by every company Ive worked with so far and thats not because they are forced to as I have their files but because they were happy with my services and didnt cause them any shit.

Its different to illustration where the rights and touch ups are a big deal
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Yea, it's probably going to come down to the contract. I think it's pretty normal and expected to deliver the high resolution source meshes and textures. Since you say you've given him a discount perhaps you could ask for more for the high res meshes, but that's probably just a mistake you'll have to learn from in the future. If he paid for it, and the contract says he owns it, then that's kind of the end of that. This is one of many reasons why clients shouldn't expect cheap work, and why freelancers shouldn't take cheap work...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    EarthQuake wrote: »

I probably should of wrote *I don't free lance but what I've heard and seen from other freelancers in different parts of the 3d industry.*
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno man what you suggest sounds like being one of those people that's "hard to work with"... I can't imagine those freelancers leaving a trail of happy clients in their wake.

In the past I've always done my utmost to give my clients exactly what they wanted, well organized source files included.

On the other hand if you're dealing with a cheapskate client who's trying to take advantage of you in some way it's best to just find better clients as soon as possible since the relationship is unlikely to improve.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I usually specify that I want all the source assets when I've taken on freelancers in the past - it means that in the event that modifications need to be made and the original artist is unavailable or unobtainable, they can be carried out by another party. I'd expect that many others would also expect to recieve them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've been on the other end of fixing outsourced work and not having the source files is a real pain in the ass.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The only time I've withheld anything, is when they haven't paid.

After they've paid I'd gladly give them everything. As far as I'm concerned they own it. Including PSD's ZB files, and PSD's.

What exactly are you intending to do with the high poly? Other than hold it for ransom?
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    Everything i make while in company hours is the companies. Some companies even write in your contract that anything you do at HOME that is industry related could be theirs as well.

Freelance isn't really any different. You can hold to the letter of the contract, though high and low rez are both considered game assets, as well as any texture and max files. Unless it specifically says "engine ready assets only", or something along those lines as your own stipulation. Wont win you many friends though.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Acr0 wrote: »
    Everything i make while in company hours is the companies. Some companies even write in your contract that anything you do at HOME that is industry related could be theirs as well.

I've had these kinds of contracts. It's not legally enforcable here though.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

well I'll fill you all in a little more. There was no real contract- only an agreement to make such a model (finished & game ready), he said nothing about the high poly at first.

He is now looking for the sole rights to the high poly for the same price. He has also stated that he will be using the models in other projects in the future and basically for whatever he needs.

What I am worried about is him or his 3D modeller friend using my high poly to make and sell different game ready models. Basically I would have done half the work for them and they presumably would be cashing in on this.

What I want to keep the high polys for is this:
    To use in making individual low poly, game ready models. In other words if a client asks me to make an M16, and lets just say I have the m16 high poly from a previous project, I load up that high poly, get rid of turbosmooth modifiers etc, retopologise, unwrap the UVs, use the high poly to bake the normals and then texture. Is this legal? or even ethical? Your opinions please.......

As far as I'm concerned the model they would be getting would be original seeing as the topology is original, so are the UVs and texture files....

So far I have told the guy I will not be giving him the rights to the high poly mostly seeing as my price is so low anyways. What do you guys think? What I wouldn't mind is to share the rights..... He could use them for whatever and I could use them for whatever.... I'm actually ok with that
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Not that I'm experienced in any way but it sounds like if there's no real contract then he has no obligation to pay you and could just walk away even though you've already done the work? Contract or no contract it still feels like he's paying for the labour not for the model, and so he should get all of it. You agreed on that low price too. I don't see why he can't do what he wants with it aslong as you get paid and can put it on your porfolio site.

Just a few things to bare in mind, firstly getting paid for it, return custom, sorting these things first and agreeing to prices you feel are fair in the first place.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well he has already paid me, he's been fair and reasonable there. To be honest I don't mind if he uses the high poly for whatever he wants, I would just also like to use it too seeing as it is not a finished product and would be used to make different and original, if similar, models.

I mean should I be charging more to give him the rights to the high poly? Either sole rights or shared rights.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    He paid you to make the model... the high poly was part of the process, just like the PSD was part of the final compressed texture you delivered. It's perfectly normal for the high poly to be part of the package. I wouldn't charge him more.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well as I say I don't mind him using the high poly that much anymore. But I would like to continue to use it too
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And similarly, I sometimes use parts of the PSD in creating a new texture. For instance if I really like the way a grunge layer worked out I might copy and paste that layer onto a new texture. The new texture is still completely different from the old one though...
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just make sure these things are in the contract so there's no dispute. Technicaly if they payed for a real time model, then that's what they payed for, not a high poly rendering model. They cant force someone to give all the small prep sketches they made for a final illustration if it was never sent to them in the first place. Though you may not be able to use said model in anything other than your own private displaying.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it was never in any contract that I had to give them the model or that I could use it for any particular purposes.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    So give him the model and keep using it for whatever you want. You'll still technically own the copyright, but unless he manages to sell it somehow, I don't really see any reason to make a big deal about it. No reason to be a dick to someone that gave you work and didn't jerk you around.
  • billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    There is no serious company that would ever allow an artist or programmer to retain the rights of anything made while under contract/employment of them. It would be a legal nightmare. I think in the future you should expect to give all deliverable's/materials over to your client, and delete any an all copies or backups you have of the material.
    This is very typical of what I've experienced over 20 years of contract programming.

In this case it seems like you have some leeway with the client, but if he allows you to retain some rights to your work, GET IT IN WRITING.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    If there was no explicit obligation to give up the high poly assets in the original agreement, the client doesn't have a leg to stand on. The original agreement (as per your statement) was for what you already delivered and he paid you what was promised for that. Both parties got what they agreed to, the "contract" is fulfilled. The client is now trying to modify the agreement post facto. If you give in to their demands, they may try to modify the agreement further. You'd be giving them all the power to do what they will with you. Walk away. They're in the weaker position. You've got your payment, they've got their assets. Nobody is for the less.
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sort of sounds like a F**K YOU, PAY ME moment.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    So give him the model and keep using it for whatever you want. You'll still technically own the copyright, but unless he manages to sell it somehow, I don't really see any reason to make a big deal about it. No reason to be a dick to someone that gave you work and didn't jerk you around.

The client is jerking him around. If providing the high poly assets was the client's expectation, then they didn't clearly define expectations. Before you do anything for a client, get it in writing what you're expected to do, what you will deliver, and when it is expected to be delivered. The same goes for the client's side. If the terms are no good for you, then you're free to walk away without risking anything.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there was no contract, you can do whatever you want with the high, psds, etc. You can also give him the high and whatever, he has no legal power to tell you what you can and can't do with the content, there was never an agreement to transfer the exclusive rights of the asset to him(which is unheard of, only a noob would do this).

But he's paid you for the work, it shouldn't really be any concern to you what he does with it, you were hired to do a job at a rate you agreed too. There really isn't any reason for you to feel slighted or feel like you need to withhold anything from him.

Keeping up good relationships is essential with contracting. Not only will you lose out on more potential work by burning bridges, you'll lose out on work from anyone this client happens to talk to as well. The game industry is quite small, remember that.

Greevar/Polymonstar: He's already been paid for the work.... Telling the client to fuck off puts him(grey) in the negative position of losing work or gaining a poor reputation as being difficult to deal with. There is no need for him to worry about the client modifying the agreement in any meaningful way, the client has no legal grounds to stand on, and is making a completely reasonable request. If the client starts making unreasonable demands, that is the time to tell them to fuck off. Remember, he has been paid for the work, this isn't some "power play" getting the artist to fork over more than what was agreed upon while withholding payment.

Chances are the client simply assumed the source assets would be included, as is common industry practice.

Grey: Reusing bits of old PSDs is pretty common, even with professional work. Or bits and bolts from a highpoly mesh or something, as long as you aren't reusing/reselling assets wholesale you're probably going to be alright. Too often you will be required to model something 99% unique, and only tiny little floaters can be reused. It is fairly unlikely that you will model 6 different m16's in your career, and if you do, there will probably be enough time inbetween that you would prefer to recreate the asset to the skill level you're currently at, not use a year old asset. This depends on how much you personally progress as an artist however. Looking back at my old work I would rarely want to reuse anything that I had not created fairly recently.

Technically in this case, because there was no contract, and no legally binding transfer of exclusive rights to said asset(s) you can do absolutely anything you want with it, re-use it, sell it to someone else. All you have here is a "gentleman's agreement" which is not binding in a court of law. As the creator and IP holder of the original artwork, you maintain all rights unless you specifically relinquish those rights to a 2nd party. He's essentially just paid you to send him a digital copy of the artwork, and nothing more, if there isn't a contract.

From what I understand at least, someone with more legal experience can debunk that if they like. But even with all that considered, I wouldn't personally take any action that would spoil your relationship with the client.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    PolyMonstar: Unless I misread the post, he's already been paid.

Yes, technically, he is not obligated to give the guy the high poly, or the PSD. That's what happens when you don't fill out a contract. Apparently this a casual, unprofessional situation. I don't see anything odd about the client expecting him to deliver the high poly asset with the final content though. Do you also think it's bullshit that the client expects him to hand over the PSD? The construction files, in all my experience, have always been included in the contract (BUT, I actually had a contract that specified this).

I don't know what the job was or who the client is, but unless he's jerked you around (which it doesnt sound like he did), I don't understand why you wouldn't have given him the high poly with the rest of the assets. He paid you to make the asset, he paid you for the work you did. The high poly was part of that work.

Legally, technically, no you don't have to give it to him. But it's kind of a dick move not to, it's your fault for not writing up a proper contract and not assuming the hi poly was part of the deal. Personally, I would give it to him in this situation, but I would also have written up a proper contract to begin with.

Mainly it's up to you and whether or not you want this guy to hire you for future work or recommend you to others. Legally, you don't have to give him shit.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    " it's your fault for not writing up a proper contract and not assuming the hi poly was part of the deal."

They are both at fault for not forming a clearly stated contract, but assuming that certain assets should be surrendered to the client without explicitly defining that is a mistake. If the client expects to get all rights and all sole copies of the assets, it should say as much in the contract. If it isn't in the contract, then they aren't entitled to it. It might get you a bad review, but like EQ said, the industry is a pretty small group. Just as much as that client could complain to others that he held back on assets, grey can also tell his peers that this client is inconsistent with their expectations. I don't see any reason why grey shouldn't hold on to reusable assets if the client didn't secure a transfer of rights to them.

At best, grey could say "You never said you wanted the rights and copies of the high poly assets, you should have said as much when we agreed on this. I can give you copies to the HP assets so you can re-bake it, but the copyrights will still belong to me to use in other derivative works."

Let me say though, that my opinion on this is as such because every asset you create has the potential to serve you in future work and if you can retain the copyright, thus the ability to reuse the asset, you should do so. Had both grey and his client both been free to use the asset without exclusive rights assigned to either of them (so that both may use them), I'd suggest grey simply handed over the assets, because he can make use of them just as much as they can. If grey hands over the rights to the asset, he loses the right to make new works from it to save time and labor. Ideally, both of them should be equally entitled to use the assets as they see fit because both have a practical use and need for them.
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well he has agreed to letting me use the high poly for my own needs and he can use the high poly for this project and other versions of it- such as iPad and OSX versions
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well he has agreed to letting me use the high poly for my own needs and he can use the high poly for this project and other versions of it- such as iPad and OSX versions

Get it in writing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    Get it in writing.

Again there was never an initial contract, Grey retains full rights to his work no matter what. The client is the only one who really needs to seek a contract at this point(to ensure he has rights to redistribute the work etc etc).

No harm can come to Grey here, he's protected by basic IP law. The client cant "steal" his rights.