Home General Discussion

Consoles are over, long live the apps!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
So I've been reading a few things lately and pondering these things myself.

Phone apps and browser games seem to be on the increase in popularity. This is fine, but personally I love playing console games and experienceing the latest in cutting edge graphics.

Now as an aspiring Games Environment Artist, I have spent a long time getting up to date with all the latest techniques and skills needed. I am now wondering if this is a massive waste of time, as low end graphics on apps etc will take over, and consoles will die. Rending the majority of my learned skills unecassary.

Throw into the mix that lots of games studios are closing, so there are less jobs with ever increasing competition from experianced artists.

There are also reports of studios (like Team Bondi) massively exploiting staff and providing horrendous working conditions.

All in all, it seems a bad time to get into the industry properly.

Now if apps are on the rise, it would makes sense to get into that side of games. But I just don't know if I would enjoy that any where near as much as making kick ass poly-tastic graphics.

Enough of my ramblings. I'm intersted to hear others thoughts on these issues.

Are high end games on the way out, giving in to apps and browser games?

And would it be more prudent for up coming artists to focus their skills elsewhere (away from high end graphcs)?

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    High end games on consoles are bound to be replaced with high end games on the mobile devices, especially with each generation of mobiles becoming increasingly powerful; but having low spec workflow knowledge is never a bad thing.
    Just my 0.02$ ofcourse.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    simply put.... no.

if anything PC games are coming back, which means even more high poly. But when it comes down to it. consoles arent going anywhere. the core gamers will always want a good controller in their hands, looking at a big screen (and yes, PC can go into this category). consoles are also way more social than apps and web based games. They arent going anywhere.

that being said, with phones getting better and better, every six months, you`ll be seeing those poly limits rise and rise. so id say getting into that side of games is also a wise choice. those games arent going anywhere either.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Naw, I don't believe that mobile gaming will take over anytime soon, or ever. You don't need to focus on just on thing, focus on the high-end stuff then low-end stuff is just more optimisation and realizing the limits.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I heard the back end of a conversation on Radio2 the other day. An expert was saying that handheld consoles are a dying breed. No one needs a handheld anymore with smart phones on the rise. Which makes sense to me.

Maybe someone can provide evidence or articles about that.

I very much doubt smartphone games will replace high end consoles or PC gaming though. There will always be a need for high end modeling.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mobile games, 'apps', are IMHO about killing 30-60 minutes of spare time at most. They're all simple, the ones with high-end don't really take off as I see, no matter how powerful the underlying hardware is. It's still about Angry Birds instead of Epic's or id Software's more complex stuff.

So I don't expect mobile devices to kill traditional console gaming. Maybe there'll be a docking station under your TV which you can plug your phone into, so it may provide the hardware. But the kinds of games we play on consoles won't disappear, and won't migrate to a small phone's or tablet's screen either.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    will app have equivalent quality , long epic storyline, intense gameplay like this ?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXqj0rpyD2c[/ame]
    it eventually would, but not yet.

, next gen app should capable to deliver high quality graphic to current gen console no excuse :), otherwise i would still play console or on my PC

also, one more thing, production value.
    app todays doesnt have that much production/art/gameplay value even compared to old game that has lower tech graphic like ps one for example.

just compare, castlevania SOTN, to any sidescrolling game app today, SOTN still offer gameplay experience by lightyears compare to them, despite SOTN has lower graphic processor.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    slipsius wrote: »
    simply put.... no.

if anything PC games are coming back, which means even more high poly. But when it comes down to it. consoles arent going anywhere. the core gamers will always want a good controller in their hands, looking at a big screen (and yes, PC can go into this category). consoles are also way more social than apps and web based games. They arent going anywhere.

that being said, with phones getting better and better, every six months, you`ll be seeing those poly limits rise and rise. so id say getting into that side of games is also a wise choice. those games arent going anywhere either.

I agree, PC's can replace the incumbent consoles as the main entertainment source in the living room. They fill a variety of roles, DVR, HTPC, gaming system, and other non-entertainment roles. Why have a HTPC, DVR, and a gaming console in your living room when you can condense them into one device?
  • pedrOadan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pedrOadan polycounter lvl 11
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    low-end graphics take skill, too

learning to make art well is never wasted
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Your fine, Just keep making awesome shit.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    The way I see it is that mobile/social gaming is like TV, it's there when you want it for a quick time fill and something to just enjoy mindlessly. Console/PC games are more like movies. They are these huge project that can take audiences places that their smartphones just can't.

And if we have room for both TV and Film, I see no reason we won't have enough room for mobile and console.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think PC gaming is coming back. I have been using my PC for games for like 4 years, leaving my xbox and ps3 and wii sitting there collecting dust. It is just so much more practical to get a pc game, they look better, most often than not you can mod to get better games which ultimately makes them last longer, online games are not infested by retarded 13 year olds, and mostly it is not as expensive to buy a new rig that can run games. I spent in 2008 around 1500 US dlls to get my rig, best money ever spent since i can use my computer for more than games. But any game i throw at it it runs smooth.

A friend of mine said that he couldn't believe how much better he felt about games when he got a new pc. He said he played non stop because it was so much better. I personally am looking fwd to studios developing more for PC. It is just tech that will improve and not go anywhere soon. Consoles are getting ridiculous. I can see more potential in portable games for the VITA and 3DS than phone apps. But that i just me.

I do agree that it's better to have shorter games in development and maybe when you are good you can cook a really awesome game. Epic does it, they release other small games, gems like shadow complex which was amazing! and then GoW.

Anyways.... i am not scared of the industry going anywhere. The monopolizing of big studios overtaking everything is not gonna destroy the industry. There is more smaller studios with a different mindset that are making a difference and influencing the way the industry is perceived. Team Bondi was in charge of someone that was careless and insensitive, and people spoke and now he is sad without a publisher. Believe it or not, this industry is not stuck and is changing day by day with the development of tech and software. So i am looking fwd to pc and the wiiU. of course, just my opinion.

/rant
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Eclipse nailed it.

Also, before we make any conclusions about consoles dying; are we sure that the "app" demographic and console demographic are the same?

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in casual/social gaming; I might pop one of those games every few weeks but I'm not gonna play it for more than a half an hour. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks like this; as long as there are people who want a more in-depth experience there will be companies making games for them.

That said, development times need to be shorter and budgets need to be lower; that goes without saying, but unless studios cut down on the "umph" factor I see only more studios being closed down. Do we really need all those "cinematic" experiences anyway?

Personally, I'm finding myself playing more PSX and PS2 games than any recent releases. And Wind Waker running on Dolphin is the most visually impressive game I had played in a while.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Eclipse. I feel they are two very different markets and both are selling.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    When everybody has a smartphone nobody will draw pictures anymore. Get out now guys, art is over.
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
    Some very interesting points here. I do like Eclipses point of view, and agree with most on here. I don't really play casual games, I prefer to immerse myself in a game. So if there are others like me, then maybe there is still a future for high end games. and Maybe apps will help as a transition point for people to move on to these more serious games.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    When a mobile device can give me a 50 inch Full HD display hologram and a controller that fits your hand in the right way then i'll say consoles are dead.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    were towards the end of the console life cycle...so it will appear to have more competition.....until the next gen....when once again the PC market will become overshadowed by them again.

and PCs wont replace consoles in the living room of most homes....why...a console doesnt need much setup...a PC requires it...most people dont want the bother
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    When a mobile device can give me a 50 inch Full HD display hologram and a controller that fits your hand in the right way then i'll say consoles are dead.

HAHAHA that'll be an epic ass mobile device. :nerd:
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    were towards the end of the console life cycle...so it will appear to have more competition.....until the next gen....when once again the PC market will become overshadowed by them again.

and PCs wont replace consoles in the living room of most homes....why...a console doesnt need much setup...a PC requires it...most people dont want the bother

I would dare to say that the gap is slowly closing. Consoles have gotten much more complex this gen due to patches, network configuration, firmware updates, installs, etc. Consoles are no longer the plug&play devices they used to be. On the other hand, PC's have gotten cheaper and popularity of gaming/entertainment laptops had been growing quite steadily. And then, there are services like Steam which make the whole installing/patching process a lot easier.

I guess it will be interesting to see how the next console gen will be like. Personally, I believe that PC might become an important platform again. But, I also think that the experience of playing games on a console and a PC will be extremely similar.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The current generation of consoles are past their life expectancy. They're like the mars rover(s). Originally create for a short 3 month mission and go 80 meters between the both of them. But 7 years and 48 kilometers later one is still scratching around on mars while they think up new missions for it.

The kinect and PSMove where just stall tactics used to extend the life of the current hardware. All of the companies don't want to move on before the life of the hardware is over. Especially when you look at what they are stacked against.
    • They both operated at a loss for a long time the last time, even in a good economy.
    • The PS3 isn't quite past its hardware life cycle even if the 360 is limping along on ancient tech.
    • Sony keeps getting rocked, the earthquake in japan, the hacking, the London riots, if Sony isn't ready for new hardware, MS will keep stalling.
    • To top it off crazy economic times is not a good time to launch expensive tech gadgets.

I see scalability and portability as key concerns for developers. Instead of 2-3 teams building 2-3 separate games for different hardware that all happen have the same name but are "multi-platform"... There would be one game made by one team.

Maybe there would be different versions output at the last stage before being shipped out for different platforms but to the majority of the team it would be one high end game that scales to whatever tech. Let them play that game on any hardware they happen to own without having to remake it for each set of hardware. That means more hardware standardization and a lot of tools need to be made but I think we're almost there.

Even just designing a mobile app that better compliments a game could even be a good first step. Design features that play to the strength of the the two different platforms. Mobile and location locked hardware.
    • Fight a big boss sitting on you couch but only after issuing orders to factories or shops to build the right kind of weapons while you where on your lunch break.
    • While riding the bus, check in on your racing team while they rebuild your engine for tonight's race which will be in full HD glory on your couch.
    • Plant the right combo of crops in your section of your guilds garden, so everyone has enough potions for the raid this weekend.