Home General Discussion

Bastion is here!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Calabi polycounter lvl 12
Its been released.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/107100/

I'm downloading now. Get it quick before it goes off.

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    demo was awesome, can't wait to get the whole thing.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    YES IT IS ! Such an awesome game.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some screenys.

A06A96C6464696BD406C655DE05C1B8277F8E4AA54E75BF009D9F19A02C9DF565C42BA9E26C93EE8

C0FE6B88BF06C6C5661447E52A7B067EB25C8FCE

5EE490F4C35E60E428CD22F8A4C7DF9B530B8836

I like the narrator guy, whom seems to know exactly whats going on.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I wish it was on PSN.... =(
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I wish it was on PSN.... =(

Isnt it? I thought I saw an ad for it on the PS Store...

Gonna try the PC demo. Looks purdy.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Picked it up on steam this evening, it's very nice so far (unlocked 2 cores), great to play such a colorful game for a change.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Here is a 13 minute gameplay video. a friend got it, gonna talk to him about what his thoughts are before buying it tomorow. seems to have gotten very nice reviews!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FuG0H3x2k[/ame]
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    I bought this on XBL first day.

After an hour of playing it, I still did not care one bit about the characters or the world. There just isn't any story at all to help drive the game along. I really wanted to like this one because everything about it is just great, but sadly the story is nonexistent.

If I'm wrong as hell, please let me know, spoil that shit if you have to. :)

edit: (what winterlord said!)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    please spoil in pm and not here.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Absolutely loved the demo! Soundtrack is kickass, and I really like that the story is told from an NPC's perspective; although it does kind of distance you from the kid himself. The game itself is pretty unique, art and exploration wise; unfortunately the gameplay itself is pretty standard imho.
    That's my initial impression from the demo, however generally I'm royally impressed. But then again, I like anything that has Jen Zee written all over it. :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    The game looks great and I've been interested in it since I first saw its trailer. But for now, it's either that or From Dust for me. Anyone here had played both?

Note to myself: y u so poor? :poly122:
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    The style of this game is lush. Like playing through a Ghibli film.

Want.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    8.1 hours...game done. I'm spent.. :P
    It has been a while since a games kept me playing through in one sitting.

I liked the narrator myself and I thought the game had tonnes of character, visually and emotionally.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    only played the demo. i really wanted to like it, but for some reason I can't put my finger on I just didn't seem to care that much :/. I wonder if part of it is the disconnect between this grizzled, tom waits style narration and the bright happy-land visuals? I guess I also had the nagging feeling that if you strip away the presentation I've played that game before many times. (this is probably unfair having only played the demo, but i feel like I got enough of a taste)

hum, wish I didn't feel this negatively about it, because the visual direction is awesome
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I loved this game. Is it a classic? I don't know. But it was definitely kept me coming back. I even started it again after I beat it. Yeah, the story isn't the strongest, but I didn't see this as being that type of game. I mean, I didn't love Super Mario Bros or Zelda because it had a great story. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting in the same category in terms of quality, but in terms of the style of the game. There is a story, but it's more about the gameplay.

As for the narrator, I didn't find it annoying at all, and I don't understand why someone with a gruff voice couldn't exist in a colorful world. That just seems like an odd complaint that I've heard from several people.

The game is a little slow to develop, so I can see how people playing the demo might not get into it. It's more fun when you unlock more of the weapons and more of the upgrades. I thought the game was really easy until you activated a lot of the shrines which makes the enemies so much more challenging and lot more fun. The proving grounds were also a ton of fun.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    The style is incredible, looks like the painted a huge amount of environment sprites for it. Im also wondering how they did the characters, cell shadeing + a bit of painted in the textures? Also there seems to be some kind of lighting in the environment or just overlays above the sprites? Definately a very fancy game, also very cool how the world flys into place. Gameplay is fun, just would like to move while shooting.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I'm actually liking this more than at first, all the stuff to unlock is fun, and music is great.
    I switched to gamepad, and it feels a lot better than playing with keyboard + mouse.

Davision3D, try switching to the bow, allows you to move around slowly when stringing an arrow, feels better than the first gun weapon I feel.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I might dig out my gamepad and give it another go.. I do remember being kind of annoyed that up+right took you *just* at a different angle than the scenery is layed out at, so if you want to walk straight down a hall you actually have to continuously zig-zag or else you hit the side (or fall off) weird decision imo
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    dtschultz wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting in the same category in terms of quality, but in terms of the style of the game.

I disagree, it's up there in quality - maybe even surpassing what Nintendo is capable of these days.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Art direction awesome, at first I did feel annoyed with the narrator but got used to It. The environment dropping is a little distracting but you get over that too, with that said having those elements does add a little extra something to this "puzzle-ish" style game play & I like puzzle-ish style looking games, I am speaking about the square ground paneling everywhere.

Very nice game over all, thanks.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Just got the steam version--and I'm about an hour in...it's beautiful art wise..the gameplay is a little shallow for the genre, but complex enough to be fun.. the music though...damn if that isn't the best game soundtrack I've heard in a lonnnng time....and the story, it's really a joy to experience. I'm hooked!
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I disagree, it's up there in quality - maybe even surpassing what Nintendo is capable of these days.

Oh yeah, I agree with you as well. I meant with the original Mario and Zelda.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I bought this game on Steam 2 days ago.

SO AWESOME

I love it.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    I absolutely love this game. The best game I've played in the recent years.. Anyone know if they're going to do Bastion 2 or more games like Bastion?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia wrote: »
    I absolutely love this game. The best game I've played in the recent years.. Anyone know if they're going to do Bastion 2 or more games like Bastion?

I've heard the may be making addons for it(dlc or whatever).

I completed it, I liked, it although I did get a bit tired of the narrator after a while.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    I liked the narrator myself. Although it distances you from the Kid but I felt like the game was told as if the Stranger was telling it on a campfire or something like that (especially towards the end of the game), so that way the narration falls in perfectly in my opinion.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia wrote: »
    I liked the narrator myself. Although it distances you from the Kid but I felt like the game was told as if the Stranger was telling it on a campfire or something like that (especially towards the end of the game), so that way the narration falls in perfectly in my opinion.

I did sort of like it, but the further along I got the more I knew what he was going to say(the narrator character was abit cliche). But it was good the way it responded to you in places.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I played the demo, and i really enjoyed it. I'll prbly get this on a steam sale since i am really busy playing DE:HR right now.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Beat the game a few nights ago and started New Game +. I loved it, playing through it again.

I want more games that make me feel all tingly like this. Simply yet awesome.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    havnet had time to beat it yet but it has been one of my fav games sofar. hopefully i can get some time this weekend to complete it.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Played at eurogamer, got home, played demo, finished demo, instant purchase. Amazing game. And all the art was done by just one lady?! Beautiful.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    marks wrote: »
    Played at eurogamer, got home, played demo, finished demo, instant purchase. Amazing game. And all the art was done by just one lady?! Beautiful.

ya i bought it while playing the demo, think i had only 15min of gameplay done before i decided it was well worth my $15.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    The writing in this game is up there with the best in the industry. There are alot of subtle things the narrator describes that absolutely draw you into the world. Buy this game for the atmosphere and you won't be disappointed. Shutting off the narrator is blasphemy, it defines the game and expertly delivers the experience.

The gameplay is extremely tight, albeit basic. Which is not a bad thing. You don't fight to play the game like you do in the majority story based games, you just experience it. Great stuff.

And I don't need to say much about the game's visuals, it speaks for itself.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm i just bought it and really wanted to like it.

But yeah, i cant stand the relly janky animations, and weird clunky gameplay.

Some of you guys seem to really love it, but i cant get sucked in when im too busy getting annoyed at enemies that dont actually have any animation.

:/