Home General Discussion

Senior year in HS, course called "AP Studio/3d art"

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Im a bit confused as to what this actually is, is it digital or physical? When looking on youtube people are showing off paintings, sculptures, and drawing, and obviously I only want in if the 2d/3d can be digital. We can't contact the teacher right now but im curious if any of you are familiar with this class seeing as how its on a college level.

So far the only documents I can find that support digital are 2d being allowed to create logos etc, but 3d still says clay, wire, glass, etc.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Any course with "studio" in the title is going to be using fairly traditional, physical media. A lot of 3D art classes have you learning how to work with paper, plaster, wood, metal and other materials to create things like sculptures, mobiles and other craft-type projects.

If I were you, I wouldn't skimp out on the chance to make stuff out of real materials. Traditional art can only help you in your digital endeavors because it is often highly focused on things like form, composition, weight, line and many other essential parts of naturalistic art. The skills you learn in traditional art classes will transfer directly over into digial art.

Also, art classes are great places to meet girls. Computer labs and websites are not. :smokin:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Well I already have

2d design

photography

and I have no experience with physical 3d art and do not want to be the lowest in the ADVANCED class so ill just switch it out with drawing. I've heard of some schools using blender and I was excited when I saw that and figured itd be pretty easy for me.

And yes Im hoping I do meet a girl in one :D
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    When I was in high school "AP Studio/3d art" was stuff like clay, installations, wood, etc. Not a computer class.

Do it if you can! Learn to build things with your hands. You'll appreciate it later in life.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    It's an advanced class, so I would definitely recommend taking it if you can get in. Being lumped in with people that are talented and passionate about art is going to be more beneficial than a standard drawing class.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with JMYoung. Being around people who are passionate about art is an excellent way to push yourself to become better.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I took a class in 3d art, and it was sculpting. It was still fun and useful.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    I have no experience with physical 3d art and do not want to be the lowest in the ADVANCED class :D

Youre not being ranked, and no one is competing. Even grade wise, this type of class is hard to flunk. I understand it's high school but don't get caught up in that who's better than who crap, they'll be plenty of time for that later in life. Enjoy this opportunity while you have it. If you can take this kinda of class in high school, do it and do you best!
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeKei polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpting is still very useful, as it allows you to recognise spatial forms and stuff. take a chance.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Painting, sculpting and drawing sounds good, sounds like you will be doing some good things.

I remember the first year of sixth-form requesting to switch to art from german but was talked out of it by teachers and parents, because 'german is an important thing to learn'. Kinda wish I did the art a-level though, especially since I barely know any german.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Also, just to throw this out there, AP Studio Art is geared towards taking the AP test. The AP test(unless it's changed since I took the class 12 years ago) for studio art is submitting a portfolio, which can also be really helpful if you're planning on going to a college that has portfolio requirements.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wow, I wish I went to HS in a state that actually spends money on education!
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I took a Studio Art AP class my senior year in HS. There wasn't any digital work involved, but instead it was different mediums all focused on a single subject that you chose at the beginning of the year. For example, my focus was bones. So every project we had, whether it was watercolor, sculpting, etc, all had to have bones as the main focus. One project was a charcoal piece where we had to draw our focus in an egg carton, so I drew an egg carton with lots of little skulls in it, with a few hopping out. Things like that. All this built towards a final portfolio at the end of the year. Actually, a lot of the pieces I had were instrumental in passing the portfolio requirements to get into the college I went to.

Seeing how traditional art is the backbone of good 3d art, I'd take it. I had a blast in mine, and it was great being surrounded by people that might not know exactly what they want to do with art, but knew that they wanted to do something with art as a career.