Home General Discussion

artist & designer (what is the difference)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
what is the difference between an artist & a designer?

ps: they are not the same, isn't that right?

Replies

• maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    designer is a subdivision or artist. and Artist is the most biased word I ve ever heard.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    It seems like the definition is pretty liquid, but I think there's still some sense to made from it. When I think of designer I think of someone who looks at the game as a whole instead of from one angle. True, an artist is a designer, but a designer isn't necessarily an artist. Technical designer's work at all levels of development, doing scripting and overall game design work and making sure every technical aspect of development works well together.

A designer makes decisions, trail blazes and organizes. An artist takes that direction and produces something.

At least that's how I see it. I don't have game industry experience yet, but I do work full-time in the field.
  • michaeljanzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends...

The designer and artist are quite broad titles. Artists can be designers in the sense that they build concepts, bring functionality to a game/layout/website etc. For example, many graphic designers also work as illustrators, or need to create artistic assets for the site they are working on. This is where the artist and designer title blend.

I'm asuming though, that you are talking about the artist and the designer in the gaming industry. This is where you see quite a difference in the two. Usually artists or the art team can be made up of UI designers, animators, concept artists, 3D modelers, etc. Whereas the design team may be made up of level designers, creative directors, game designers, a dash of programmers, etc.

Essentially, the game designers work out the nuts and bolts of how the game works. The who, what, where, why and when of a game. The mechanics and hows it's played. Is it a 2D, 3D, flash based game? What sort of assets, programs, tools are needed to make and play the game. How to make the game functional and entertaining? Artists can be part of this too, but they basically make the game look pretty. Very pretty.

Design is art itself though. Never forget it. The programmers and designers build worlds like architects.

There's probably more to this, feel free for anyone to correct me or pitch in!
    It's a great question!!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    its different in each studio.

some places, the designer doesnt actually build anything. more of a word guy. types up stuff, goes to meetings and designs the game. talks with others about what the game should look like, game play elements, story overview. that sorda thing. where artists actually do art.

in my studio, however, our "design team" is made up of one of the owners (who does all HR, accounting, press, phone calls, etc), 3rd in command (who does video editing and UI elements normally), art director (who normally does all concept art, level blockouts, and does modelling and texturing as well), and 2 of our TESTERS.

so, as you can see, it varies... but when it comes down to it. designers talk about the game to come, where as the artists build their vision
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    What kind of vague question is this? What kind of artist, and what kind of designer?

An "artist" might be a concept artist, an asset artist, or a tech artist. All very different responsibilities, with varying roles.

A "designer" could be a game designer, a GUI designer, a graphic designer, a mission designer, a level designer...
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    The way I've always seen it is the game designer (I'm assuming you mean game designer) is essentially the person that creates the design document and files the ESRB documents. This person or persons outlines and schedules detail of the game.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally, design has certain goal in mind, is driven by practical needs and has to work. Design that does not work or works badly is a bad design without any doubt.

Art is more broad and fluid. It can also have certain goals and practical background, but it does not have to.

As for artist vs designer kind of thing, it really is pretty vague question.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    in specific area :

\level artist : work for visual beauty.
    level designer : work for gameplay
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Designer makes money.
    Artist starves. Nuff said.

But seriously, I think design usually has purpose, art doesn't have to really, it's all about that I guess.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    nice post uncle, thanks all.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    If we're not talking about the game industry:
    - designer --> someone who produce something for a client
    - artist --> someone who produce something for himself
    I've learn this in my class.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Depends from what perspective you want to take.

With videogames, all an artist needs to do to show you their work is use a controller to move you around whatever they've done.

A designer needs to give YOU the controller for you to really understand what they've done.

For the most parts, it's about purpose. Say you were making a racing game, and it would be a yearly release, and have a 'hero' vehicle.

The artist would make it look like a F1, sound like a F1, or alternatively make something cool.

The designer would go back through history, pick up cues from the Lotus 80 and Chapparals of the late sixties, cough up something like this:
    redbullX1_9.jpg
    The iterate it every year based on what worked for the players and what didn't. Maybe it needs a cleaner wake, maybe it needs more grip, etc.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias is probably the greatest troll ever to have walked the fact of the interwebs
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    artists are nicer people and are generally more handsome
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    ^ Artists are LIARS! ;)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If a guy who speaks english as a second or third language asks a question like this and you don't take him seriously you're probably an asshole.

uncle good description man. In a broad sense, designers tend to work for a purpose, artists for an aesthetic, but the lines are very very blurred when you get into the kind of context we use them, 'graphic designer' or 'concept artist'.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Had some posts in another thread about this.

There is a difference between Art and Design for a reason.

Art is subjective.

Design is Objective .

When we design, we do so to facilitate SPECIFIC GOALS, when we create Art we do so to communicate subjective emotions. The combination of the two is what allows us to do what we do for studios, audiences, & clients.

That's an oversimplification. Design lies between art and science. If design is objective to art's subjectivity, design is subjective to science's objectivity. Look at any given hardware product from Apple - they're famous for their emphasis on well-designed aesthetics and usability, but their work is very polarizing between fans and haters.

I had a realization about how to define successful design while I was in grad school - truly good design is always a balance between two opposing elements. Any number of scales apply:

order <> chaotic
    science <> art
    familiar <> unique
    accessible <> innovative
    understandable <> intriguing

The very best work finds a sweet spot in between. Something too far to the left is too objective to be good design: too boring, too predictable, too rigid to be engaging - it's too dull to hold someone's interest. Something too far to the right is too subjective in the same way: too exotic, too unfamiliar, too confusing or incomprehensible - it's too radical for someone to easily engage with it.

The very best bits of design give a user some common ground, a familiar starting point, and engage them with something challenging and different to elevate their experience. That part, the unique/art/intrigue component, is so subjective that the vast majority of modern design fails to be anything more than a forgettable rehash of what's gone before.
    Taken out of context, YES, it is an over simplification, a compromise I made to not produce a wall of text.

However, please note the statement below that

Quote:
    The combination of the two is what allows us to do what we do for studios, audiences, & clients.
    They are always to some degree inseparable, discretely defined they exist as extremes; polarities of the creative spectrum.

However, I completely admit discreet definition of an ambiguous process is not honest nor does it due justice to the complexity of things.

I actually quite like these wallpapers, I think they act as a intriguing expression of the issue, but your point is well received, and very valid.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    uncle wrote: »
    Designer makes money.
    Artist starves. Nuff said.

But seriously, I think design usually has purpose, art doesn't have to really, it's all about that I guess.

This explains why I often wake to walking into the wall whilst wondering where my paycheck is.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    artists draw pretty pictures.

designers make the sticky label indicating how much the picture is worth.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I want to believe that we level artist somehow bridges the gap between designers and artists with "Visual Design" or something fancy like that but maybe that's just me ^^
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Designer plans/lays out world.

Artist builds it WITH HIS BARE FUCKING HANDS.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Arf. This always gets me annoyed. I'm a 2D artist, but technically I'm a Graphic Designer. I call myself both. Game Designers (and every other Designer which falls under game Design categories, such as Level Design) are something completely different.

I hate when job listings confuse the role though and drop my role into lots of different sub-categories, such as Art, Design, Marketing, New Media and sometimes even Programming. Fffffff!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    artist? is there even a definition anymore? nobody wants to define art, but rather keep it as an ambiguous term. that way everyone can call themselves an artist in some way or form, even if they're shitting on paper, and hanging it on a wall.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ...or you could even be a circus artist! bring on clowns! ;) ... or a circus designer?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    in munich you can choose your title unrealted to qualification.
    and still do the same work and are underwaged ^^