Home Technical Talk

Hidden shortcuts in Max Unwrap Editor Window?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
I'm trying to speed up my unwrapping workflow by assigning shortcuts to the stuff I use the most, but I can't seem to find the commands for Align Vertical and Align Horizontal, the buttons on the lower part of the window by the Options button. Not even Maxscript Listener shows anything.

Replies

• Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    hmm the hotkeys you're looking for should be available in max 2010+
    it should be called Align Selection Horizontal and Align Selection Vertical or something like that but all I have is max 2012 right now so I'm not sure

But making your own macroscript (C:/ProgramFiles/Autodesk/3dsMaxXXXX/ui/macroscripts/[whatever].mcr) for something like that is extremely easy though and works with like max 6+

so like this would show up in the 'My Tools' category
    --equivalent to align Vertical(squash horizontally using selection center)
    macroScript my_UValign_V
    	category:"My Tools"
    	toolTip:"align selected UVs along vertical"
    	buttonText:"UValign V"
    (
    	if ClassOf(modPanel.getCurrentObject()) == Unwrap_UVW then
    	(	
    		for selObj in selection do
    		(
    				selObj.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].ScaleSelectedXY 0 1 ( selObj.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].getSelCenter() )
    		)
    	)
    )

--equivalent to align Horizontal (squash vertically using selection center)
    macroScript my_UValign_H
    	toolTip:"align selected UVs along horizontal"
    	buttonText:"UValign H"
    (
    	(	
    		(
    			selObj.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].ScaleSelectedXY 1 0 ( selObj.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].getSelCenter() )
    		)
    	)
    )

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I wrote a Script a while back, do scale UV Vertices down to 0 in U, V or UV. Works on Vertex Selections only and also not with multiple objects selected.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    nice one, Piflik. mine should work on multiple objects in any sub-obj mode

but looking through yours I noticed I did mine so sloppy I forgot to have it check if the Unwrap UVW modifier is selected first!
    :poly122: fixed now
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys. Funky Bunnies, I have Max 2011 but I can't find the shortcut anywhere at all. I'll try these scripts later but I still can't believe I'll have to resort to 3rd party scripts to bind a hotkey to a function that is right there, working on vertex and edge UV selections. Either way, thanks for the help, much appreciated. :D
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/unwrapaligntools

These work well, not on multiple objects however. The "Collapse Selection to single point" is very useful for stacking identical shells on top of each other, though again, it's limited by not being able to use it on several objects.

For this kind of stuff, Softimage's MatchUVW command is still king. Oh and their Polyreduction tool.. i miss XSI sometimes ;)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    oh by the way, it just dawned on me that i edited funky bunnies script to include a uv-squash function and had wanted to post the addition here ages ago. this'll only be interesting to the completely scripting-impaired since it changes exactly 1 value, but maybe it'll help ;)

add this at the end:
    macroScript my_UVCollapse
        toolTip:"Collapse UV Points"
        buttonText:"UVCollapse"
    (
        (    
            (
                selObj.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].ScaleSelectedXY 0 0 ( selObj.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].getSelCenter() )
            )
        )
    )

thanks again for the script, FB!