Home Technical Talk

Cylinders in Zbrush, YIKES

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
ive been trying to figure out how to get my pillars/cylinders on my model smooth in zbrush once i import. they look faceted always :(

ive tried creasing and even tried the smooth groups plugin to no avail :/

help please

attached is my export settings, my max file screenshot, and zbrush screenshot

3ds_max.JPG
MaxExportSettingsOBJ.jpg
zbrush.JPG

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Your cylinders have 8 sides in max. Therefore, they have 8 sides in Zbrush.
    As you noticed, Zbrush displays everything in facetted mode. So if you want "round looking" pillars in Zbrush, simply make then, say, 32 sided in Max.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    zbrush_2.JPG

still nothing after i subdivide. Shouldnt they become smooth?
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    ..you only have about 8000 verticies in that last shot, that's not very hi-poly is it?
    If you want to sculpt high res details, you have to subdivide it more. Try 1 million points :P
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    There aren't really any smooth edges in Zbrush, only hard edges, so if you want them to look smooth, you just have to add more edges.
    Or you can just ignore the faceted aspect, knowing that when you bring it back to another app, or bake, the edges will be smoothed.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Your material also has cavity effect visible, so it is highlighting your edges' visibility by them being differently shaded.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    This thread is silly. I have a feeling that you don't understand what subdividing is. It doesn't just magically make your model smooth. It divides each single quad into four quads. Keep subdividing it until you get the amount of detail you want. Usually around a few hundred thousand polys is fine to sculpt on since anything past that usually won't show up in a game resolution bake.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Like Bal said, Zbrush's matcap system isn't really meant with few faces in mind. It'll take even more subdiv levels (5 or 6) to get an 8 sided cylinder looking smooth.

zb_cy.gif
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Control Loops, 16 or 32 sides, import in ZB, Sculpt away.

ZBrush doesn't have a smooth mode, unlike Mudbox which does, so it's pretty much showing each face on it's own. If you Zoom in close enough, even a 6 million mesh simply has tiny faces.