Symmetry and Bevel questions in max

Jensen
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jensen polycounter lvl 11
Hey all!

I have two questions for you all

Symmetry Question:

So sometimes when I'm moving cylinders in my scene for a character and rotating the axis I want to apply symmetry. But when I apply symmetry the mirror is applied based on the cylinder's axis and location. Instead I'd like to have the mirror go across the 0,0,0 absolute location and make sure that the rotation is zeroed as well. Is there a way (perhaps maxscript) to speed up this process? Cause normally I just have to move it and then use local rotation to rotate it to 0,0,0.

It would be much nicer if when symmetry was applied it automatically set the mirror to 0,0,0 absolute transform and 0,0,0 absolute rotation.

Beveling Question:

On the last character I worked on, I made it about 6 feet tall (using feet with decimal inches in max). However when adding details and using functions such as bevel context menu, the slider makes the bevel steps too large. Is there a way to change how much each *click* on the slider changes the value? Perhaps half the factor? Or maybe in scaling? I've tried a few things but can't figure it out.

I hope I made those clear enough.

Thanks a ton in advance,

Mike

Replies

• Sonnhalter
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonnhalter polycounter lvl 8
    hey Jensen,

If you're in edit poly mode, you can select an edge and then apply a symmetry modifier, the symmetry's gizmo will then be set on the edge. That's how I've always used it.

for your beveling issue, you may want to check that things are okay in your unit settings. if you go to customize>units setup and make sure everything there seems like the default or whatever you had it on.
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    For the symmetry gizmo, once you apply it, click on it once or twice and you will be able to move the location. Move it to 0,0,0 and there you go. After that, if you plan on moving that object just a bit and you don't wanna keep resetting the symmetry gizmo, you can just move the whole object by going into edit poly mode, selecting all polygons and moving it around :P
  • Jensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies!

The main problem about the symmetry modifier is the rotational position mainly. Zeroing the transform is easy enough, but to zero the rotation i have to go into local rotation and keep zeroing the x y and z until it lines up. Usually I have to zero those each a few times because when you zero one it modifies the values of the others.

No luck with the bevel mod so far. I'll continue trying to mess with unit setup and system units.

Thanks again for your help guys =)
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    If you don't care about keeping your object local pivot, why don't u just reset xform this cylinder before the symmetry and place the pivot a 0 0 0? Else it's not hard to rotate and move the mirror center at the right place with maxscript.
    I agree those options would be cool though.

FOr the bevel, you can go to
    customize>preferences>general>spinners>Use Snap and set the value as you like.
    It will work if you just click on a spinner but not if you click an drag.
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    You can try working pivot for the symmetry if you need to keep local pivot as well, otherwise reset xform.

You can do ghetto things like create some boxes/dummies, align/position them where you want, and then align your objects' pivots to each one as you need it. It's clunky but works fine.
  • Jensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for all the replies! As someone mentioned in this thread, the best solution for me is to use a dummy object, and then while in local transformation use the align tool to the dummy obj.

I'm still sad about max's bevel/extrude/inset tools though. I tried to scale everything up and reset scale, but max still treats my bevels as if the objects were as small as when I first made them. I don't wanna reset xform cause a lot of my geo is placed with that in mind. T_T.

I've tried to reimport all geo to see if the documents file had some odd scaling happeneing but nope. From what I can tell changing the system unit setup does nothing to change the scale of beveling. I made it so 1 unit = .0001 inches, and also tried 1 unit = 1000 inches.

The snap scale thing is sort of a fix, but i'd prefer to use the sliders, cause the snap that it defaults to is what I end up using instead of the sliders.

Thanks again for all your help guys =)
  • Wonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    If you hold down Alt the spinners sping slower, Control makes it spin faster.
  • Jensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey wrote: »
    If you hold down Alt the spinners sping slower, Control makes it spin faster.

You are my hero ♥♥♥!!!!!!
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    couldnt u have just typed in a value? :)
  • Jensen
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson wrote: »
    couldnt u have just typed in a value? :)

yeah that's what I've been doing but when doing a lot of beveling and extruding i find that typing values every time I need to have a bevel with visual feedback breaks tempo quite a bit.