Home Technical Talk

Tiling Textures?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
3shold polycounter lvl 7
Okay PC'ers,

I've been through the trenches of the forums (PC and ZBC) and I noticed something interesting about the environments seen there: I haven't found anyone saying they use tiling textures.

my question: using a 1/2k map with normals, how large would you consider making a pillar, for example, before single maps are no longer feasible and tiled textures are a better option?

Thanks,
- frustrated artist

Replies

• SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    huh?

Nothing but tiling textures here boss :
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86970

A modular pillar mesh in a game engine today would be either created from a tiling texture, or if it's very unique, get a 512 to a 1024. That help?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    3shold wrote: »
    Okay PC'ers,

I've been through the trenches of the forums (PC and ZBC) and I noticed something interesting about the environments seen there: I haven't found anyone saying they use tiling textures.
    Because it's mostly an unimportant detail.

Use tiling textures where you can, and where it makes sense. Use unique texturing where you need it.
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    SouthpawSid: Yeah that does help. Thanks.

Daaark: That's good advice. I'll have to keep that in mind as this environment progresses.

I guess I was getting confused as to the scale of the textures and how they tile. You really can have tiled textures with a good amount of normal detail. Perhaps I was just tiling my textures too many times. I'm going to do some experimenting.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm I might actually ask some things here also. So if you got just clean geometry with maby some chamgered edges you would actually use a tiling texture on it. If it consists from 3 parts (a pillar for example) You would prepare a multi sub object on it and give those 3 parts different tiling materials. Instead of having a unique 1024x512 texture for this pillar I would have 3x512 which could be also used on other assets. But how does it go along with normal maps then ? If you want to add sculpted damage then this would be a unique texture then right, with properly layed out UV's ?
    I am asking couse I want to learn this stuff on how to be more efficient with using textures in environments. If you have any good reading source or tips on this on this I would appricieate this.
    @SouthpawSid : Did you assing a multi sub object to your house and used a couple of tiling textures on it ?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I would unwrap the pilar and texture it properly. You don't want the GPU having to do 3 draw calls to render one pilar! Tiling textures are not there to be lazy!

Generally, when an object has it's own texture, then the normals will come from the object, baked into a texture. When something like a brick wall, or a grassy field is using normal maps, the normals come from the texture data. (Which makes no difference, a normal map is a normal map...)
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    just make everythign big and unique, then when you get a job based on your sexy looking portfolio they can show you how game artists do it.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Rick_D wrote: »
    just make everythign big and unique, then when you get a job based on your sexy looking portfolio they can show you how game artists do it.
    Right, and apply a turbosmooth on everything while you're at it, don't forget to add 4-5 iterations! :poly142:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it more helpful to work with a pixel to game unit ratio. 4 pixels to every game unit. If you have a wall that is 256x256 game units then you go with a 1024x1024 map. It gets a bit more complex for other objects but in general if you hold to the same rules you can work out a map size, of course you are normally constrained to power of 2 material sizes but with overlapping and ganging up objects you can normally hit all the right marks with only a little effort.

I go over using the idea on a crate here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1223840#post1223840

Sticking to a pixel/unit ratio also helps you maintain a more consistent texel density through out the game and clears up the whole "how big should my map be?" question a lot of people starting out run into. The more you work with it, the easier it gets to guess and gauge the right size.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    on almost every environment I have worked on it was 80-90% tiling textures and tiling trim sheets. it give you a cohesive feel to everything in the level using a set of textures, and for things like damage or whatever, have tiling damage textures that you can vertex blend in with the addition of a mask to break it up.

not only is it way quicker than uniquely unwrapping everything, but it also saves a ton of memory if most of the assets in an area are using a common texture pool. this is pretty essential, especially for console games.

I tend to build the overall environment with tiling textures, then look at it when its pretty much all built out and see what absolutely needs a unique sheet and go from there. usually its not much besides props, that need them. even then in most cases you can use your tiling sheets and trims to make some props. it comes down to time/resource management and being able to look at the environment as a whole rather than a ton of individual little assets.
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys that actually sums it all up.
    Mark thanks for that tip. Will try to remember that when choosing texture sizes :)
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    You guys are awesome.

Mark: That's a good system for gauging. You are right, the "how big should my map be" question is one I've run into a lot when dealing with this environment.

PixelMasher: We haven't gotten to the actual texturing stage for this environment (it's for school), but the idea of using a set of textures for a majority of the environment to keep the look and feel cohesive is a great idea. I'll have to look into what "vertex blending" as I will need to find ways to break up a portion of the tiling.
  • Ace-Angel
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Ace: holy... You see? This is why I come here. Knowing that this technique exists changes the way I look at texturing objects in UDK. Thanks.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Another idea that might help and is much simpler to put in if you want a quick and dirty technique: http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html