Home General Discussion

H+ Intriguing new Cyber-punk typed TV series.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
This is looking likely it'll be pretty interesting series. A bit Deus Ex, a bit more Snow Crash. A bit awesome.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmJhKsvosAU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
pcmag.com wrote:
In the not-too-distant future, most of humanity has forsaken smartphones and the trappings of technology for "HPlus," a direct connection to the Internet via a neural transmitter.
And then someone uploads a virus. All of the world's HPlus users, a full third of the world's population, suddenly die.
If this sounds intriguing, you're not alone. Bryan Singer (The X-Men movies, The Usual Suspects, Superman Returns) is serving as producer for the second Warner Premiere Digital Web series, made in conjunction with Dolphin Entertainment. Warner Premiere is expected to show the final episode of its first Web series, the live-action "Mortal Kombat: Legacy," at the Comic-Con show this week in Los Angeles.
"H+: The Digital Series" will debut its trailer at Comic-Con today, and it's likely that the trailer will show up on the series' Facebook page shortly thereafter.
PcMag.com sat in on a teleconference where director Stewart Hendler (Sorority Row) and writer/creator John Cabrera talked about the upcoming series. Unfortunately, we couldn't identify who was who, but we know a bit more about the plot. We also don't know when the series will debut.

Here's the crux of it, though:
"Kenneth," one of the protagonists of the show, is deeply grounded in computer sciences and is responsible for many of the advances behind HPlus, a microscopic piece of nanotechnology that is embedded inside a person's nervous system. Users with an embedded HPlus system hear music directly in their ears, and hallucinate movies. (Very Snow Crash.)Other clips will feature a Finnish woman, "Marta," one of the world's top hackers, who is caught up in the story. Neither, apparently, chose to adopt HPlus.
But then a virus wipes them all out. What then? The survivors pick up the pieces, and humanity goes on. Not surprisingly, one of the key characters is a Luddite, someone who has rejected the trappings of technology.
HPlus refers to "humanity plus," a reference to transhumanism (which, according to Wikipedia, is apparently abbreviated as "H+"). Transhumanism explores ways in which humans can overcome their physical limitations, and what effects those things have.
Originally, the series was supposed to cover 2.5 hours of filmed material, sliced and diced into video clips for the Web. The series creators said they had at least two goals in mind: create "A+" content for the Web that could compete with existing films on Netflix and the like, and come up with a format that could take advantage of the Web in its narrative structure.

In practice, that sounds like the show will offer a "Lost"-like narrative of flashbacks, set in various locales around the world. Characters will talk in their native languages (Finnish, Russian) and the video was shot in both the United States and Chile. Each clip will open with a "point-of-view" shot that won't immediately identify the narrator until a short time later.
It also means that users will be able to watch the clips in their scripted order, then go back and watch them by character, or even chronologically, the creators said.
What's our take? Singer's pedigree gives this credibility, but geeks thrive on nitpicking technical details, especially around computers and technology. On the other hand, it sounds like the show's planning will allow for a second season, if the demand is there.

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Well, shit. I'm interested.

H+ = G+? :O
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Got a little worried when you mentioned Snow Crash but there's no sign of a Hiro Protagonist type character - I couldn't get farther than a few chapters into Snow Crash, the main character reads like bad fan fiction.... his only flaw is that's he's too awesome!

anyways, looks pretty cool - just a little worried that we are getting too much pro-apocalypse, anti-science in our pop culture nowadays.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds cool.

Haha glynn. Soon enough.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yeah, I agree Mr.Meisse.

I kinda rolled my eyes when I saw.. 'ohh.. technology results in the end of the world for us yet again'.

Hopefully it's merely used as a backdrop and is used as more of a character development tool.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    its like the Surrogates movie, but without the dummy bodies.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I really hope they don't pull the JRPG formula here that others have mentioned.

The kind which goes "Science has failed us" which sounds alot like "We should not be playing God" stigma which has plagues the Sci genre for a while.

Also, looks like G+ has a Surrogate.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Soooooooo tired of all the technophobia going around in hollywood these days. It's becoming a usual theme. Science will fail us, faith will save us. I'm just really tired of it by now.

It's also a dig at the Humanity+ people, only they made it an upside-down cross. Looks like another religious propaganda hollywood piece to me.

I can't even count how many movies/shows with this theme I've seen in the last 10-15 years or so.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ghost in the Shell meets Flashforward, but with death instead of temporary sleepy time?

Didn't grab me too much. The story is nothing new (ooh, technology is evil) and the cinematography and cast are ugly IMO.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'm much more interested in the transhumanism tale they are throwing out to give us another disaster survival/mystery show.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Soooooooo tired of all the technophobia going around in hollywood these days. It's becoming a usual theme. Science will fail us, faith will save us. I'm just really tired of it by now.

It's also a dig at the Humanity+ people, only they made it an upside-down cross. Looks like another religious propaganda hollywood piece to me.

I can't even count how many movies/shows with this theme I've seen in the last 10-15 years or so.

Seconded. I'm just over all tired of this particular theme the implanted humans with cool technology everything goes to shit theme. Hollywood needs something fresh, but that's a given.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Its weird alot of series do seem to be having this theme now. Survivors, Torchwood, That dead show, that show where everyone falls unconscious and can see the future.

This does look interesting though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    that show where everyone falls unconscious and can see the future.

Flashforward has nothing to do with technology, not the implanted 'oh we are getting too pally with technology' kind anyway. Its a superb show, and maybe now Camelot is cancelled, the main dude can come back to it if Flashforwards is ever un-cancelled :(
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Andreas wrote: »
    Flashforward has nothing to do with technology, not the implanted 'oh we are getting too pally with technology' kind anyway. Its a superb show, and maybe now Camelot is cancelled, the main dude can come back to it if Flashforwards is ever un-cancelled :(

I wasnt using it as an example for technology. Its similar in that something bad happens to the whole population. Biblical stuff.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a bloody scary trailer :D Can't wait for Deus Ex.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    im just ever more surprised - and impressed by how much EM have been putting into dx3. i mean srsly, well done

let's just hope the game doesn't suck :D