Home General Discussion

Software Dependancy and the Industry

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
So I'm going for my first interview in the industry soon. What really worries my is the software requirements of working for a studio. I'm used to modelling with modo but I have a basic working knowledge of 3DS Max. The thing I hate most about workin in max is UVW unwrapping.

There are a bunch of plugins for 3DS Max like (TexTools, free, great, buggy) and Polyboost (commercial, potentially awesome, havent used yet) which can help make things easier but I'm so hesitant to actually take advantage of those because I don't know what my protential employers attitude will be to having to provide me with software, especially commercial software, so that I can do work.

Are they just going to laugh at me and say GTFO if I say "But I can't really unwrap without TexTools?" or if I say "My modelling package of choice is one that you don't have and I'm not nearly as proficient with other software?"

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    If it comes up, just emphasize that you're willing and eager to learn new tools. Most studios have their own proprietary production pipeline components that new hires need to learn, even if they've got a few years of experience, so it's not horrible if you don't already know everything about the software they use. Just make sure they know that it won't slow you down and you're stoked to get on top of it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Polyboost is only needed to Max 9-2009, Max 2010+ has Polyboost integrated (it's called Ribbon).

TexTools isn't buggy per say, it simply limited to the calls in Max. For example, if you want to create splits based upon smoothing groups for your UV's, you'll need to set your grouping smooth, make sure you don't have any sub objects selected before applying the UV modifier, because as soon as you use Textools split, it will need to select the smoothing groups via the Poly Modifier inorder to assess which ones to split.

It's more on 'how things are done in Max and thus needs to be worked around as such' as opposed to it being buggy.

If you want another UV tool to help, may I suggest XRay-Unwrap?

You can test out the trial here: http://www.raylightgames.com/xrayunwrap/trial.html
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would just stress you have a good knowledge of the art making skills and that software is really just a tool on the belt to achieve the end result.

my 1st job was maya and I went in with the only experience with it being opening maya up and making a box, hating the interface and then closing it. within a couple weeks on the job I was using it as fluidly as max. people like to make a big deal about switching software but its not that big a deal, once you are familiar with how to make awesome art, the program shouldnt matter. I have gone back and forth between maya and max, I'm back to using maya again after being back to max for a couple years after my 1st gig.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    @Ferg: Thanks for the advice! That's definitely a relief because I'm totally willing to learn.

@Ace-Angel: I didn't know that! That'll hopefully help cut out a lot of the issues I've been having with TexTools! I'll have a look at X-Ray as well!

Edit:

@Pixelmasher: Ahhh, I'll remember that. I DO have decent knowlege of how things should be done, I'm just not able to get there quickly with every software package out there. That's something else that will be helpful in the interview. :D
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    I mainly used Max prior to graduation. I hated Mayas interface. Though I noticed that most studios use Maya, including the place I was going to interview at. I was honest and told them about my limited experience with Maya, they even let me do my test in Max.

After working here for a few months now, I love Maya. All software packages are fundamentally the same, so transitioning from one to another isn't that difficult. It's just figuring out where the buttons are again.
    I would just stress you have a good knowledge of the art making skills and that software is really just a tool on the belt to achieve the end result.

This.

Just be honest, and have confidence that you can do whatever they need you to. (related to your "position" that is) :)

-m
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, express an eagerness to learn new software, its not a big problem. It's a bit like someone changing the buttons on your keyboard at first you'll hunt and peck as you get the feel for the new layout but after a while you'll realize you aren't looking at the keyboard.

Normally I've found that people from another app if they're genuinely open to learning new software, can really help improve tools and techniques.

However if all they do is bitch and complain and the frustration they express underscores their ignorance of the program they are trying to learn its very unproductive.

New guy: "XXX app is sooOOoo much better!!! This! THIS piece of crap doesn't even have a perspective mode! I laugh at it! HA!"
    Lead: "Dude... press P"
    New Guy: "Oh..." "I umm, still don't like it! HA!" /cape twirl

Yea those guys need to dial it down a notch and ask for help in a reasonable way. Not only is it hard to interrupt a bitcher when they get going but its awkward and confrontational when you inform them the app does do what they want, just differently. But if they say "hey in XXX I use this thing that does this stuff, do you know where I could find it?" Then they start to blend in.

TLDR, don't be a judgmental prick.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    This thread is so awesome. I'm ashamed to say I used to be pretty judgemental but as soon as I started to actually use a variety of software I found that almost everything has things that it does better than everything else. I try to be as software/tool agnostic as possible nowadays.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm feeling inadequate.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Don't.

All of those plugins are definitely handy and most places (if not all) will allow you to use them, so long as they're "free" or don't cause any conflicts with their setups. Which I'm guessing would be rare.

Worst case scenario is you can't use them and you're stuck with default settings, or whatever they have in place. Which honestly isn't that bad, you'll just spend more time unwrapping or whatever.

Don't worry about it. :)

-m
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    even if you were really comfortable with Max, you should always express an initiative to learn new software and tools! Tell them about your experience with new software, or different tutorials that you are looking for. No one wants to hire a person that is stuck in the same place, they want people that are self driven and take their education and personal improvement seriously! specially in this industry where we take giant leaps! so just pay attention, show interest and ask questions and i am sure you'll do great in your interview.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    @mcejn: Definitely. I've got a background with some quite serious modders/indies and a willingness to learn (and teach) is really important, maybe even more important in a brick'n'mortar studio. Thanks for the encouragement!

@glottis8: Thanks for the tips! I guess if I don't have access to the plugins then no one else will and I can probably just go around finding out how they do it, since they probably aren't slogging along like i would be (initially).
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    @Feanix: Could always talk to the tech artists/tools programmers.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    tbh its your skills as an artist they'll be looking at, not your skills with a particular piece of software. most studios have in house engines, unique plug ins and work flows anyway so there's a good chance you wont have used most of their stuff before anyway. when i got my job they never even mentioned software and it wasnt until i told a mate where i was working that i realised i'd have to start using max instead of maya!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depending on the studio, they might be open to letting you use Modo and then simply import your meshes into Max/Maya/etc for bakes, final clean scene and what have you. I've been using modo professionally for years and haven't had a problem.

IMO its a little silly to force everyone to use exactly the same workflow, as long as everyone's final assets end up in a common format so anyone can make changes if need be. If you hire a Modo guy, it might take him a year or two to be really as fast as he was in Modo, in max. I don't personally see that as something that is productive.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if it was mentioned but one of the cool things about Modo is it's license.

Unlike Autodesk Max or Maya you can install Modo on as many machines as you want. Work PC, home PC, laptop, whatever, as long as only one copy is in use by it's owner at any given time then everything is fine.

The only thing to be careful of is leaving your assets saved as a common file format that anyone can open and edit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    having everyone use the same software has another side besides pipeline, sanity for the IT department. I don't know about Modo, but most software companies belong to software associations that troll through industries suing every company that forgot to keep a DNA sample of the salesman they dealt with on file.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    hey fellow Modo user! I use 3dsMax at work, used to use Maya for about 3 years, started loving modeling in it, prior to that used LW at small film houses, now I use Modo at home. Its a pain because I want to stick with one package, but depending on where I work I could be using whatever. It disrupts my workflow but I catch up in a couple of weeks. If companies are serious about you, they'll give you some time to learn the tools.