Home General Discussion

Games can run clear on tvs at low res, why not computer monirotrs?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I always though it was interesting that a 32 inch lcd can run a game at 1024x768 pretty clear, but a 1600x900 monitor can't run a pc game at 1024x768 and it be clear, instead its stretched and blurry.

Is there any way to have this effect on monitors? Perhaps mimicking the pixel density through an emulator of somesort?

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You have to be more precise, no specs at all were mentioned.

is it a 720p or 1080p tv?, do you have any latency-expensive modes running on the tv?

Is it aspect-correct on both the tv and monitor? (4:3 on 16:10/9)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You typically sit alot closer to a monitor compared to a TV
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    ^
    What Justin said. Sit far away from your monitor, and it will be just as clear. Monitors are also sharper than TVs are, because you're meant to sit really close to them. Are you sure you have the proper aspect ratio for your monitor as well? It shouldn't be stretched. Running 4:3 on a 16:9 monitor is going to be stretched, obviously.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    You're expecting a monitor to scale a 1024x768 image to 1600x900 without having interpolation issues? Do you realize that you're asking the display to show image data that doesn't exist? There are a finite number of pixels in that 1024 image and when you scale it to 1600, the computer has to "guess" mathematically how to represent that missing pixel data. The result is a blurry, stretched image.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You could AA if you really wanted, but the most natural AA without any performance hit would be as Justin said, sitting far away from the screen.

Try sitting right next to the TV, and having it exactly encase view, you'll start noticing color bleeding, blurred pixels at edges as so on and forth. If anything, I would say how come TV screens aren't as sharp as monitors, especially the bloody expensive ones in 5K range.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sit about 2 feet away from my 32 inch and I don't see it ever act like my pc monitor.

Could the pc interpret it in a way that 1 pixel = 4 of the real pc pixels? Im pretty sure tvs when not viewing hd run at 1024x768 and at 22 fps from what I read in a magazine, so that could also be the reason.

For example, gta 4 on xbl = "thisdude shot somedude" shows up clear, and gta 4 runs at 1024x768 on 360s, but if I run it on that res on my monitor those words are blurry

My monitor runs fine, its a 1600x900 monitor and to run games clear I obviously put it at 1600x900, but im saying tvs are much bigger and the xbox runs games at 1024x768 for performance, and it shows up clear. But if I run a game at 1024x768 on my monitor the text and the game is blurry.

Does the tv just have bigger pixels? and this is why its clear? Then why cant a 1600 monitor do 4 pixels = 1 game pixel? That would cut the res in half but it would bleed and be stretched
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol@ my spelling of monitor in the title didnt see that
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    My monitor never did that amount of blur, it would stretch out my letters, but never blur on the X axis. It could be the game, the monitor or the cables for all we know, too many variables.

Anymore detail on the hardware you using?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been like this on every monitor i've owned, its the same affect as scaling an image in ps
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    simple answer: tv has quality upscaling features, monitor does not, if you're lucky you got bilienar
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    //edit: blarg nm misread OP :)

i dum
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you're talking of a crt tv, it works different.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    buy a CRT, srs.

lcd monitors are fixed resolution displays, meaning that they have a finite amount of pixels vertically and horizontally. in order to use a lower resolution on that fixed resolution display, it must scale the video source up using a chip to resample it to the bigger resolution of your display. these chips are focused on generic video scaling, so while they work ok for scaling DVDs up to 1080p, all chips in modern displays fail miserably at doing this for games and other content where you need extreme sharpness and text readability. the only way to properly scale a low resolution source to an "HD" resolution is to purchase a high-end video processor like the XRGB or similar, because they are designed to scale games and similar content while retaining pixel perfect accuracy.

the reason why you don't notice the horrific scaling on your TV is, like what everyone else has said; because you are sitting a good bit away from it, so you don't notice just how terrible it actually looks. with a small computer monitor, you're right up against your screen, so you really notice it. the scaler chip in your monitor could also likely be worse than the one in your TV, depending on how high end your TV is.

also don't forget that the majority of "720p" LCD sets are actually 1024x768 or 1366x768 and scale ALL content, providing a terrible picture for every single source you can think of. true 1080p displays are actually 1920x1080 though, so you don't need to worry about that.

however, all of this processing also introduces input lag, to the point of making games with strict timing (music games) unplayable without tons of calibration. i've seen LCD TVs with nearly 120ms of input lag!

this is where CRTs shine. CRT displays are NOT a fixed resolution and work on vertical lines. when you feed a lower, non-native resolution to a multisync CRT, it actually spaces out the lines instead of interpolating them up to the native resolution like an LCD. by doing this, you keep an absurdly crisp image no matter the source resolution.

in order to space out the lines though, the display essentially "turns off" certain lines, creating an effect known as scanlines. for instance, if you feed a 240p signal to a trisync arcade monitor with a native resolution of 480p, every other line will be turned off, making scanlines! CRT computer monitors (like the sony FW900 which is the best in the world) have such a high number of vertical lines that running a source with a lower resolution will give scanlines that are so minuscule that you can't even see them, so the picture will be just as crisp as the native resolution.

there is no processing involved with CRT resolution changes, thus absolutely zero input lag, which is why CRTs are still used in arcades for music games.

TLDR: want the best picture possible for DVD video, PC monitor use, HD game consoles, and HDTV/bluray movies? get a sony FW900 24" CRT. you will never go back.

hopefully now you understand why LCDs suck so hard at low resolution. if you have any other questions i am an absurd perfectionist autist when it comes to displays so feel free to ask.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol crts

BRAAAAAAMMMPHHHHH

Instead of buying a terrible, huge, heavy CRT that will fade and lose color/contrast over the years, simply view content in your native resolution. Don't play games at 1024x768 on a 1920x1200 LCD.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I get you. CRT vs LCD was a real hot button issue in 2003 or so.

I guess some people will never get over that awesome turn on/degauss BRAMMMMPPPPHHHHH noise.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, now it hit me, the reason why your tv looks so good is that you're watching 1024x768 on your 1280x768 TV,
    keeping with the idea that it is aspect correct: it doesn't have to scale, it's pixel perfect!, while the same content watched on your bigger monitor will have to fall back on scaling.

And now considering you're talking about this odd resolution, whatever are you doing that requires 1024x768?, playing an old game?

But yeah, the problem is only a problem when dealing with old content, such as the era when games were locked in resolution, any newer games or content can be set at a specific resolution, and any old content can be post processed to look good on that super high res screen.
    Racer445 wrote: »
    however, all of this processing also introduces input lag, to the point of making games with strict timing (music games) unplayable without tons of calibration. i've seen LCD TVs with nearly 120ms of input lag!

Out of all your mad crt rambling, this is a good one, and the main difference between having a tv and a pc monitor, the tv is built and equipped to process less interactive content, while the monitor is built around highly interactive content such as moving a mouse around, which is why most tv's comes with a "game mode" that turns of all post processing for lower latency, and even the games themselves (like music rhythm games) coming with a latency compensator feature.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    frell wrote: »
    Its been like this on every monitor i've owned, its the same affect as scaling an image in ps

Lanzcos FTW
    buy a CRT, srs.

120Hz CRT FTW

Quake3 on a 120hz LCD isn't the same for some reason

The only real problem with CRTs to me is the red pollution on cyans so cyans don't look cyan
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Instead of buying a terrible, huge, heavy CRT that will fade and lose color/contrast over the years, simply view content in your native resolution. Don't play games at 1024x768 on a 1920x1200 LCD.

Seconded. LCD Monitor at native res is the way to go.

As for TVs LCDs are pretty terrible in terms of accuracy, they fuck with contrast, add a sharpen filter, and enlarge and chop off edges even in cases where the resolution should match. And because of all this they often have bad lag. Enjoy your first person shooter with a tenth of a second of lag built in. Blargh
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why cant my graphics card just do 4 native pixels = 1 game res pixel? Or would that take more processing power than running in native? Come to think of it that would be 800x450 and be terribly blocky, so I guess theres no solution?

So the verdict is, tvs have bigger, and fewer pixels.

jeff, i've never had any problems with my monitor lol, in any game
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    if anyone wants to buy a CRT I'll sell you mine for $10.

it'll cost about $100 to ship though because FUCK CRTS ARE YOU GODDAMN SERIOUS?
  • Racer445
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

I just laughed at myself for thinking "wow, awesome image quality on that crt" as I was looking at pictures on my lcd.

also:

img0961ko.jpg

51.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i had some EIZO 1600x1200@120hz 21" or 22" crt monitor which weiths about a ton and a half

if i knew you are all horny for them, i would have kept it^^
    btw. those are around 40$ now

edit: lol 400 bucks for triniton, i got both triniton monitors i had back than for nothing (college gave them away)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    My monitor has an option for 1:1 so 1024 x 768 is 1024 x 768/ I got a Dell 24inch IPS cause I have no space for a CRT
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    My monitor has an option for 1:1 so 1024 x 768 is 1024 x 768/

I think there's even driver support for this, like, in nvidia settings you can choose how lower resolutions should be handled before it is output to the monitor.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with Racer on this. I had the same issue as frell a few years ago. Its the same reason as why PS2 games look fine on your old TV but like twice eaten shit on your new awsum HDTV.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I get you. CRT vs LCD was a real hot button issue in 2003 or so.

I guess some people will never get over that awesome turn on/degauss BRAMMMMPPPPHHHHH noise.

ololololol
    bramph!!!!!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I think there's even driver support for this, like, in nvidia settings you can choose how lower resolutions should be handled before it is output to the monitor.
    On my ati graphics panel I can set the monitor res to 1280x768 and its not blurry at all, but games wont play clear doing the same thing
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    ololololol
    bramph!!!!!

It's a nice sound that goes better together with a whrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRtonk ..... BEEP and a DOTDATDATDOTDOTDATDAT - EEE-EEE-EEEBROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ehUH eh UH BROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF - Welcome! you've got mail. HONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UHUHUHUHUHUHUHOH*glassbreak*

Apparently, you can't Michael Winslow a typical '90s internet user's computer on text over the internet
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    On my ati graphics panel I can set the monitor res to 1280x768 and its not blurry at all, but games wont play clear doing the same thing
    You still don't seem to get that your MONITOR isn't a 1280x768. You're still stretching pixels.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well that's easy ain't it :

If you mostly play XBox and PS3 games, play them on a native 720p TV or projector ;
    If you mostly watch Blurays, watch them on a native 1080p TV or projector ;
    If you play games on the PC, play them at the full native res of your PC screen.

That about sums it up! Everything else would look stretched, or blurred, or something in between...

BTW and as a side note, for a sharp PS2 image I am getting awesome results out of my 720p projector and the component cables, because projectors can do things that TV can't : they can blow up a picture thanks to optics, and not through a fixed pixel "grid". So for 480p content I can simply set the beamer to 1:1 (with the 480p image sitting in the middle of the full 720p frame) and simply make the image bigger by turning the dial. Super smooth! I would recommend this to any retro gamer.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    they can blow up a picture thanks to optics, and not through a fixed pixel "grid". So for 480p content I can simply set the beamer to 1:1 (with the 480p image sitting in the middle of the full 720p frame) and simply make the image bigger by turning the dial. Super smooth! I would recommend this to any retro gamer.

I didn't know about this, thanks :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    If the games you play don't support your native monitor's resolution (1280x768 in your case) than they will look blurry.

My monitor is 1366x768 and almost all new games support this resolution so I get crystal clear/crisp quality. Older games like Morrowind or Red Alert 2 can only go up to 1024x768. They do look blurry because of my screen (it's a laptop too).
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    My monitor is 1366x768 and almost all new games support this resolution so I get crystal clear/crisp quality. Older games like Morrowind or Red Alert 2 can only go up to 1024x768. They do look blurry because of my screen (it's a laptop too).

Get morrowind graphics extender and you'll be able to up your resolution :)

That's not what we were talking about, there's settings to make any resolution not stretch, but instead just be a smaller box on the screen, and retain 1:1.

anyhow..

BRAAAAAAAAAWWWWTHMTH

degauss.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

In all seriousness though:
    A. Most CRT monitors are no longer being produced
    B. You'll have to pay a premium for a decent, newish quality CRT
    C. The half life on CRT's means that, if you get one of the many, very old crts that are out there, you'll likely have one that has faded a good deal
    D. So, for the cost of getting a "premium" CRT, you can afford a mid-range - high end LCD, with a quality M/PVA, IPS, or E-IPS panel. My Dell 2408WFP is a *VA panel and out performs any CRT i've ever used as far as color and contrast goes.
    E. When you consider the cost for things like paying for the back surgery you'll need after hauling a 24" CRT around, and buying a desk roughly 5 feet deep just to have enough space to comfortably work, its just not worth it.

Oh, but you don't have native resolution problems with a CRT, so I guess that makes up for the wide number of terrible issues CRTs have.

9 out of 10 14-year-old professional counter strike players swear by CRTs though, because of the basically imperceivable input lag difference, they totally pwn all the noobs. So that is something to consider.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Just slightly off topic. When animating with an LCD you can definitely see streaking from the lag. I'm used to it though.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A. Most CRT monitors are no longer being produced
    what's to stop you from looking secondhand? yes, it's harder to source, but i'd rather get the undisputed best CRT in the world than have to deal with the crapshoot that comes with buying an LCD.
    B. You'll have to pay a premium for a decent, newish quality CRT
    i got my fw900 for $50 and i see people get them for free quite often... you just need to stop being lazy and look beyond the surface.
    C. The half life on CRT's means that, if you get one of the many, very old crts that are out there, you'll likely have one that has faded a good deal

so... why are you looking for a 15+ year old CRT? CRTs go soft after 24/7 use for 15+ years. if the owner takes care of it anywhere near decently, you can keep it sharp with great color for 20+ years. anyone who knows anything about arcade hardware knows this as a truth, since there are original 80s arcade monitors with great color still looking sharp as a knife. like with anything, know what to look for before you blindly buy something.
    D. So, for the cost of getting a "premium" CRT, you can afford a mid-range - high end LCD, with a quality M/PVA, IPS, or E-IPS panel. My Dell 2408WFP is a *VA panel and out performs any CRT i've ever used as far as color and contrast goes.

i didn't know you could get a high end LCD for under $150!

i've used an NEC 20WMGX2 for years and my folks have the dell U2311H now at their main computer, and the blacks are still crushed in comparison to the fw900, even after calibration with an x-rite eye-one display 2. the colors are close, but no matter the adjustments i simply cannot get the black level anywhere near the CRT, the "IPS glow" is still very apparent, as is the motion blur in fast games.
    E. When you consider the cost for things like paying for the back surgery you'll need after hauling a 24" CRT around, and buying a desk roughly 5 feet deep just to have enough space to comfortably work, its just not worth it.

old man.
    Oh, but you don't have native resolution problems with a CRT, so I guess that makes up for the wide number of terrible issues CRTs have.

9 out of 10 14-year-old professional counter strike players swear by CRTs though, because of the basically imperceivable input lag difference, they totally pwn all the noobs. So that is something to consider.

run out of legitimate-sounding claims? just resort to being a dick, that always works for you!

we do art here at this forum. if you're making art and ONLY making art, go for an IPS/*VA display, it'll work great for you. if you do art and a little bit of gaming, maybe an IPS display is great for you too; but if you are a crazy person like me who does art, AND enjoys games with strict timing, fast motions at whatever resolution you want, why not go for the very best if you have room for it?

i'm not saying CRTs are the best for everyone's situation, just that they are still king as far as all-round displays go for someone who might care a little more about quality you do, and that if you find a newer sony or eizo CRT in great condition, pick it up; you won't be sorry.

whatever, haters gonna hate. OP's question has been answered and we probably shouldn't drag this on.