Home General Discussion

How to achieve Blizzard style

Can anyone give me some help of Blizzard style, especially in WoW? I am playing WoW for 3 years and it's really breathtaking the environment they do, and the special effects. I am also interest how they made all that characters, armor and weapons.

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    2 words.

Observation, Practice.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    skill, hard work, talent.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    PRACTICE. Experiment with all styles. not just one.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Best way to get into games is to not play them.

Stole it from a game industry mentor podcast but think it holds pretty true
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    LRoy wrote: »

Care to elaborate?
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Their style is mostly considered handpainted. They make lowpoly models and paint all the details by hand with usually a combination of projection painting in a program like deep paint 3d, or bodypaint 3d and photoshop...there is quite a few options out there.

Here is a great example by Slipgatecentral http://vimeo.com/5820395

Thats the basic approach anyways...the style? Just try copying some of their work as close as you can, youll begin to figure out what characteristics make it scream Blizzard. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if someone hasnt dissected their artstyle and blogged about it somewhere, try to google it perhaps
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Are you an artist? If so, then basically what everyone's said already - hard work and practice.

There honestly isn't much more to it than that, besides having the proper skills and understanding of color, light, surface properties and other art disciplines.

You can probably find a few quick tutorials on how to do painted textures, but the rest is up to how dedicated and willing to learn you are.
    PRACTICE. Experiment with all styles. not just one.

-m
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Huge pauldrons and forearms is a good place to start.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    exaggerate everything.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    filter-> Add Blizzard
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    why not just be yourself and express your own style of asset creation.
    Why not let him do what he wants?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think the best way would be to look up the blizzard style art threads on this forum(they usually have the word handpainted in the thread name). There are lots of feedback from skilled people. You could also start making something yourself and post it in the p&p section. The thing with observation is that if you don't know what you're looking for, you will have a hard time finding it. If you start working on something yourself people will most likely give you feedback on what you're doing wrong etc.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Ctrl+Copy 40k art style + super saturate the colors. filter Remove all grit and replace with rainbows.

:p
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I think the best way would be to look up the blizzard style art threads on this forum(they usually have the word handpainted in the thread name). There are lots of feedback from skilled people. You could also start making something yourself and post it in the p&p section. The thing with observation is that if you don't know what you're looking for, you will have a hard time finding it. If you start working on something yourself people will most likely give you feedback on what you're doing wrong etc.

+1

Have a go, recieve crits, listen to crits.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Practice, practice, polycount, and more practice.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Cocaine and Strippers.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Cocaine and Strippers.

Yep. This pretty much sums it up!

Also give psychodelic mushrooms a shot. Consume via pizza, tea or whatever then paint.

Post on Polycount. GREAT SUCCESS!!!!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really, its hard to tell what you are asking...asking simply how to achieve a specific style is as broad as asking: How do I make 3d models.

Instead of just asking such a broad question...do what everybody else is saying and just...eye it out...try to match what they do. If you aren't yet comfortable with taking a style and applying it to your own work...pick something simple from WOW, and try to replicate it from scratch. Do that, post it in Pimping and Previews, THEN ask how to fix your work to achieve that style.

I'm not sure what your skill level is, but being able to follow a hand painted, exaggerated style like Blizzard's takes a good eye and skill.

I urge you to try it out and post what you have, then we can better help you.

Edit: Also Cocaine and Strippers
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Daftest questions get asked during summer...
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    filter-> Add Blizzard

haha if you cant seem to find that filter, look for the make art button. Works just as well.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Here are some things I've noticed about the WoW Style when looking at weapons and tier sets for inspiration and reference.

1. Light sources

Just about every piece of wow Gear and Armor glows! But this is not exclusive to nifty particle effects and lightning, every piece of gear that has an area of origin for such effects is the main light source used for the weapon.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=70180#.
    Note at the head of the staff there is a Yellow “Power Crystal” From this crystal there is a particle effect emitter, but it you look further you will also note that this is the origin of one of the weapons main light sources.

2. Color Color Color!

Keeping with the theme of the Gladiator’s Energy Staff, you will notice that the light source on this object is Yellow! And the light emitting from this source remains yellow, even on the length of the staff near the grip, you can see that they used the color yellow to add that bit of light and an accent to help pop the model out. It is also very important to note that there is no pure blacks, or pure whites on this model. Every inch of the texture is a color Blues, Yellows Greens, and Reds (all color compliments) The most saturated of colors are on the focal points of the model – the Yellow Orb / Light Source, and the rest of the colors are a bit duller so that they draw your eye to the focal point.

I’ve lately been trying to do this in my own art, If I realize that I have an area on my piece that could act as a light source, I play off it and do my best to convey where the light would be bouncing off.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mcdrF6OhDmQ/TgnySUED7FI/AAAAAAAAAI4/BqHlJtmTbxE/s1600/TextureClose.jpg

Note the eyes, and the creases in the eye sockets. While this is by no means an amazing piece of work that is of World of Warcraft Caliber, I took note and tried this out, and I was really pleased with the final result and how it made the face pop out a bit more and be convincing. This is definitely something I find myself becoming increasingly aware of and am starting to do more and more.

This doesn’t mean you should add an emitting glowing crystal orb to every piece of art you create, but to at least be aware if you have one.

3. Diamonds

Note that there are various patterns in the coloring, for lack of a better term, the color is broken down into “Chunks” to give the art an illustrated and comic book feel. This is pretty important for creating a piece of art that fits Blizzard’s current WoW Style.

Here’s an image of the comic book version to get the point across. http://www.omarijames.com/Art/Pics/Battle%20Chasers/800x600_bulgrim_cab.jpg

Note that the colors on the war golem are broken down into Fragments, and Crystals, I've also heard this referred to him as “Diamonds” So if you find that you are blending in your colors when painting, feel free to break it up a bit and give it that geometric broken feel.

Again - if I come off as captain obvious on this post, please feel free to call me out on it and put me in my place ;-) But this was something I wrote sometime back to help some friends out who were getting into creating art for a blizzardy style - it seemed relevant to this guys question so I figured - why the hell not post
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Dang I had no idea wowhead.com had a 3d model viewer for WoW. That's pretty rad.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I figure this would be fitting to go into this topic, I'm currently messing around with custom units in starcraft 2 and I've noticed blizzard use these orange normal maps. Any idea how to produce them? Also by the looks of it these aren't produced from high polys but just with lines added, though I've only looked at the marine so far.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think its a lot of things. Mainly stemming from the actual design.
    If I were to venture a guess at what I think nails down their style:

3 tones of shading (arguably more), large details, bold colours, with no specular.

Impressionistic brush strokes, front/back/top lighting, and high saturation.
    Everything should look like it's made out of rock.

Also, try to copy the guys on the WoW team. Guys like Murph, n' Dusty.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
  • TortillaChips
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10

best advice i can give towards the starcraft 2 editor is to simply stop using it. Seriously, they shat all over their community and the tools they gave are simply not worth your time.

Hold your breath till the next expansion comes out.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    best advice i can give towards the starcraft 2 editor is to simply stop using it. Seriously, they shat all over their community and the tools they gave are simply not worth your time.

Hold your breath till the next expansion comes out.

I haven't heard anything since I've only just sort of started using it. Could you tell me the story on this?

I've managed to get a custom unit in, using the marines skelly. Just need to see about getting one in with my own skelly and then see about animations. Looking at the custom spells and abilities on the mods in custom games it looks like I'll be able to do just about everything I want it to do.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Well, it depends what you want out of it. If you "bleed blizzard blue" as the saying goes, by all means throw your stuff in and have your fun. If you're serious about your work, maybe want to get something tangible out of it, you're better off skipping this game engine.

What no one will say (and why no one from blizzard here will post in this thread) is that the starcraft 2 custom community was a total failure due to their rushed development of the title. I think part of it stems from the fact that blizzard is still butt-hurt from the fact that Valve is going to put out the next DOTA, highlighting their inability to profit from fan made product.

The sad reality is the biggest loser here is the gaming community (particularly modders such as yourself). Blizzard is making shittons of money off of exclusive content while the gaming community is oblivious to cool custom content that would have come to bear.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    check out warhammer.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    LRoy wrote: »

Care to elaborate?
    You probably want to spend more time making games than playing them, especially if you're practicing, trying to get in. Unless your a designer and you're playing to figure out mechanics or something, playing games is a bit of a time sink.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    You probably want to spend more time making games than playing them, especially if you're practicing, trying to get in. Unless your a designer and you're playing to figure out mechanics or something, playing games is a bit of a time sink.

For some. Personally I tend to procrastinate until I see really nice art in games, then I get to work. I get motivated immediately after playing games. Doesnt have the same effect on me as seeing art in WAYWO for some reason.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16

Well yeah but his post made it seem like we should never play games to avoid getting influenced by them.
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any tutorial about this? I am looking for more, how to do environments, props and assets.
  • MeintevdS
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome. i really like their art style. I would really like to ask.

In their cinematic trailer, for every expansion, does they also paint the character/creatures to look so damn realistic, or it's just the in game models?