Home Technical Talk

I can't remember how to unwrap stuff in MAx anymore :(

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
So I've been working with Luxology's modo for years now and one of it's best features is it's power UVW unwrapping tools. I've gotten so used to them that I when it comes to doing it in max I don't even know where to begin anymore.

I understand UVW unwrapping fairly well, I'm just not used to max's tools anymore.

Could anyone out there point me to any good tutorials/reference and any plugins that they use to help them make great maps without spending a thousand years in the UVW salt mines?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are quite a few ways to unwrap in max but its hard to point you in a direction without knowing what kind of objects or the workflow you used in Modo.

You can use peel mode to actively relax the model then select and break edges to relieve tension as it relaxes.
    You can select faces (often with angle select turned on), break edges and use quick peal as a fast relax.
    You can auto unwrap the model and stitch pieces together.
    You can planar map the entire object all at once. Then define seams by selecting edges, breaking them and relaxing the pieces.
    You can use standard deformers like cylinder, box and planar unwrap.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Generally in modo I selected the the face that I want to unwrap (optionally selecting edge seams if necesary) and then hit unwrap. Then I use a variety of relax tools to get the UV islands nicely proportioned. Peel sounds like what I need! :D

Edit: Hmm, Peel mode seems to be max 2012 only. How many developers are likely to have that? Maybe it's best to know Pelt as well?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You can get a similar option in previous versions of Max by using TexTools.

http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Assign a hotkey to unfold mapping, I use it for 75% of the stuff, then stitching obviously.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Just plain relax + broken edges works most of the time. The rest of the time I use unfold + stitch edge.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Repetition of simple operations. Unfold for basic primitives, break, stitch, relax and quick planar map. Clamp down edges where needed as well using align.