Home General Discussion

Star Wars: The Old Republic

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
fill3r polycounter lvl 12
I did a quick search and didnt find a thread regarding this.

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

Who's pre-ordering and if so which one?

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure I'll be pre-ordering.
    I might have gotten the Deluxe but with it being digital only and being somewhere around 30gb (from what I've seen beta reports say) it would take me a week or more to download. Collector's Edition is just too expensive. Maybe if it didn't have the Gentle Giant statue jacking up the price I would have considered it.

two relevant links on the limited pre-orders:
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7465799#edit7465799
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7473666#edit7473666
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    wow. im surprised there wasn't a thread on this already. yea i read the heads up about preordering yesterday. so i went out today and preordered the Limited Edition. (not but 15 minutes ago. :D ) im super stoked for this game!!!!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think i'll wait for the price to drop within reasonable PC title limits before i make a purchase, especially on a subscription based product.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i'll wait for the price to drop within reasonable PC title limits before i make a purchase, especially on a subscription based product.

i dunno i definitely think this would be worth the $60, and i imagine it would be some time before it drops lower than that. i think it sucks that origin makes you pay an extra $5 to preorder tho.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I went for the Digital Deluxe Edition.
  • Jon Rush
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So I can get items or no items :( Yeah I cant use half my bandwith to get it haha.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Played it and to be honest wasn't very impressed. It's very WoW but in the Star Wars universe. I think they went with the "safe" MMORPG game design. In my opinion it was better than WoW though. If you're happy with that you'll probably love it.
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori wrote: »
    Played it and to be honest wasn't very impressed. It's very WoW but in the Star Wars universe. I think they went with the "safe" MMORPG game design. In my opinion it was better than WoW though. If you're happy with that you'll probably love it.

really? .... hmm :/ I kinda want the wheel reinvented but a star wars themed wow might hold my interest.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Oniram wrote: »
    i think it sucks that origin makes you pay an extra $5 to preorder tho.

w-wait what?! I thought pre-orders were usually $5 less
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so apparently they gave me the wrong reservation at gamestop. i went to put in my pre-order code and it told me i had the standard edition. unless its just an error, because i remember the guy saying it was $150 (i only put down $25). has anyone else run into that if they ordered the bonus or limited edition?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Download-only? This is ridiculous. Many of us have limited monthly bandwidth!
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Download-only? This is ridiculous. Many of us have limited monthly bandwidth!

No you can buy a physical copy.

can*
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Which is what I did and they gave me two codes by accident :D

I've been following TOR since 08 and am fully looking forward to it. Technically it's my first full MMO, I used to play those shitty F2P ones years ago.

Basically it's KOTOR with friends with a hint of WoW mechanics. In other words, my kind of game.

Here's what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7YhJssw5x4

And fancy new trailer:

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/join-fight
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    They killed SWG for this? =/
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta pre-order mine today. I worked on it for a year, still see some of my work in these videos :)
  • Mir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    It looks so freaking awesome i hope i get time to play it.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Rai wrote: »
    They killed SWG for this? =/

Well, if by "they" you mean LucasArts, then I guess so... but if you mean SOE, I think it's a little more complicated than that.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I am disappoint. I was really hoping it would be an action RPG rather than a WoW clone. It would be fun to be a Jedi who attacks his enemies with well-executed combos (a la SWTFU), force attacks, and parries rather than clicking skills on a bar. What a let down.

I want a real Star Wars action RPG. I want SWTFU meets KOTOR. Why is nobody making that game?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    greevar wrote: »
    I am disappoint. I was really hoping it would be an action RPG rather than a WoW clone. It would be fun to be a Jedi who attacks his enemies with well-executed combos (a la SWTFU), force attacks, and parries rather than clicking skills on a bar. What a let down.

I want a real Star Wars action RPG. I want SWTFU meets KOTOR. Why is nobody making that game?

just a mod of an old game, but check out moviebattles (a mod for star wars jedi academy), they're also looking at an updated UDK version.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10

latency would probably be an issue
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Actually odd question - Do we know why they're projecting a considerable delay for Australia and New Zealand? Or is this just opening up an entirely different can of worms?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would hazard a guess and say they're probably looking into some aussie server hubs, for players in that part of the world.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    LRoy wrote: »
    latency would probably be an issue

I don't know about that. If they used instancing, they could pull it off. Diablo II made a great online action rpg in a time where dialup was the most common connection. I don't think latency is as much of an issue today as it was ten years ago either. Nevertheless, what I meant to say was I'm interested in a single-player action RPG that has the combat of SWTFU, the space combat of SWG, and the RPG scope of KOTOR. Add an "open galaxy" game play element and you'd have a winner IMHO.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Pre-ordered the Collectors.

This is the first thing I've ever "reserved" or "pre-ordered" since I usually prefer not to wait on shipping. Though seeing as how pre-orders allow for early game access, I couldn't resist.

-m
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    and you'd have a winner IMHO.

Yes, it'd be grand but you know how it is, they play it safe and follow what works. I mean, MMO's are huge projects and I hear a lot of money has been pumped into SWTOR. Had it been an experimental project with all the freedom allowed, they could probably have tried it.

But Lucasarts directed them down a path and they had to follow it. Besides, it's basically KOTOR and Bioware never fail in that aspect so have faith :D
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Follow what works? If we always followed what we assumed to always work, we'd never evolve.

Grind MMO's are garbage. People are excited for new and innovative ideas, not the same old shit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Invite me to the release party and we've got a deal, I'm the building next to you guys, just ask for magical baby jus jus.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you at Kings Isle, Justin?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about that. If they used instancing, they could pull it off. Diablo II made a great online action rpg in a time where dialup was the most common connection. I don't think latency is as much of an issue today as it was ten years ago either. Nevertheless, what I meant to say was I'm interested in a single-player action RPG that has the combat of SWTFU, the space combat of SWG, and the RPG scope of KOTOR. Add an "open galaxy" game play element and you'd have a winner IMHO.

High latency today is the same as high latency was 10 years ago, but we've got some better client prediction algorithm these days, mmo's still have mostly been realtime-turnbased though due to the fact of twitch-based not being optimal for it.

Still, if you want your light-saber duel fix then you should go for the jedi knight series multiplayer if you haven't played those already.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4cLHU3Yd0"]STAR WARS?: The Old Republic? - Choose Your Side: Jedi Knight vs. Bounty Hunter - YouTube[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Rush wrote: »
    Are you at Kings Isle, Justin?

oops, didn't see that post - yes I am
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so did anyone participate in the beta testing weekend? i got to play and it was super fun! i really enjoy the story aspect of it. although the game felt super WoW-ish as far as quests and combat are concerned, i didnt really mind because it still felt like KotOR. :D up until this weekend i was getting really hesitant about getting the game (i ended up even cancelling my pre-order) but now im definitely sure im gonna get it.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Oniram wrote: »
    so did anyone participate in the beta testing weekend? i got to play and it was super fun! i really enjoy the story aspect of it. although the game felt super WoW-ish as far as quests and combat are concerned, i didnt really mind because it still felt like KotOR. :D up until this weekend i was getting really hesitant about getting the game (i ended up even cancelling my pre-order) but now im definitely sure im gonna get it.

Mmm nope. I got an email on the thursday or friday before this weekend saying I've been selected to play in *A* beta testing session, I looked around and it looked like it could be in a few weeks. Initially I thought it could be alright but after looking into the aspects of the game I thought it didn't seem good, but if it's changed your mind it might be worth a play (if I do get into a beta).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I played, seemed cool, I'll pick it up, but I was super disappointed to see stock photoshop shapes as 'jedi' decorations in the first town. Urgh.. Jon, bitch slap some of those artists.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah had a chance to play and It's a very nice game and love the KOTOR like story-line, but alas I think I am just too worn out on MMO's after playing them so long.

I have to say though if I ever get the itch to get back into the MMO realm this is the game I'd do it with so far. WoW just doesn't come close story wise to competing with SWTOR and that's really the major distinguishing feature. Yeah there's different names for the classes/races and a more of a gray area where tank/dps/heal is concerned but I think SWTOR will be largely remembered for it's story aspect.

ALSO can't wait to give GW2 a whirl to see how it stacks up against SWTOR
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NDA was lifted

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10939389#edit10939389
    Folks,

As of now, the non disclosure portion of our Game Testing Agreement is officially lifted. While all players must still accept the Game Testing Agreement, from this point on testers may now freely talk about their experiences this past weekend in the game, as well as post screenshots and gameplay videos of their testing experiences. We encourage you to come join us on the official Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Forums to share your experiences!

The Star Wars: The Old Republic community site will have a copy of this message on the forums and it will also appear in the Patcher. Players may not talk about nor reprint posts from our testing forums as they are still fully covered by the confidentiality portions of our Game Testing Agreement. And all players who want to participate in the upcoming Beta Test Weekends still have to accept all terms of the Game Testing Agreement. So, other than that, free feel to talk about and share your experiences in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

My thanks go out to everyone who has beta tested and continues to beta test the game. It has been with your help and feedback that Star Wars: The Old Republic is where it is today. We really appreciate your efforts.

May the Force be with you!

Greg Zeschuk
    VP, Electronic Arts, BioWare Austin, General Manager
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the beta. 99% sure I will be picking it up. I am digging the story line.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Wasn't going to get it. Played beta. Loved it to bits, then to dust. Will be getting it and get hooked as hell.

PS: Seems like all creativity went into empire. The stories there are so much better. Bounty hunter and Imperial agent anyone? :D
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    During the beta I:
    Finished Chapter 1 as a level 31-32 Light Side Sith Warrior Juggarnaut back in September.
    Finished Chapter 1 as a level 31 Light Side Jedi Knight Guardian on Saturday and unlocked the first part of the Legacy system.
    Consular Sage up to the beginning of Taris, not quite to level 20 I think.
    Trooper Commando up to level 20 Sunday before the end of beta. went mostly healer and did some PVP battlegrounds from level 10 to level 16.
    Inquisitor Assassin up to level 17 this build as tank spec.
    Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, Inquisitor Sorcerer, and Imperial Agent I got up to the second planet.

I think the Sith Warrior story is the one I noticed my choices making a difference in the story the most because I went Light Side and was acting counter to most NPC's expectations of a Sith.

This last build I started PVP-ing once I hit level 10 on my JK Guardian, Trooper Commando and a little on Inquisitor Assassin and found it was a good source of XP to power through levels 11-18 or so. Then I could roll through Coruscant/Dromund Kaas a lot easier. Then at level 20 I would have enough PVP tokens/currency to get some good gear from the PVP vendor on the Fleet Station.
    Also a tip for when the game goes live: be sure to check the Fleet Station for the Light or Dark Side vendors and pick up a couple Relics at level 20. They are like trinkets in World of Warcraft. EX: http://www.torhead.com/item/cBRJqBB
    I just found these were available to buy about an hour before the beta ended.

Overall I think the game was enjoyable but I'm still unsure as to whether I will buy it or not.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it up until the last patch, now couldn't see any enemy targets.. Could still see NPC but anything I had to fight was invisible, could only see their name.

Probably won't get it at launch, since I don't know if it'll be fixed.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I know I might be stepping on a few toes saying this, but I kinda thought SWG sucked compared to this. Just didn't get into it as much, some people loved it though. Played a heal-o-sage upto level 30, can't wait for the release :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    biggest thing i dislike:

targetting system. single target system is archaic and just silly. i want to be able to target an ally and an enemy at the same time, please!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    LOVING it so far! For those wondering, there is now a focus target system. No worries.
    I adore how it feels more like an RPG in an MMO setting. Reminds me of mass effect in so many ways. Way to go, Bioware!

PvP is great, and is a very efficient way to level up! Who else got in the early access?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yup it's great fun and I enjoy repeating old flashpoints with my overpowered character :>