Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Invader Fluff's TF2 Projects

129392999839.jpg
Hi. I'm Invader Fluff, and I'm fairly new to Polycount. I only recently gained enough knowledge in 3D modeling to even be able to attempt making items for Team Fortress 2, let alone video games. I've only been doing 3D modeling for about two years, but I've learned a lot, and am still learning. I really want to improve the items I've made so far and eventually move on to new ones, but since I'm new and less experienced, I haven't been getting much feedback on my items here, and some of the feedback that I have been getting here hasn't been all that helpful. That's why I thought it would be a good idea for me to make my own thread on here. That way, my stuff isn't taking up space in the thread I've been posting to, and I can get more feedback on my items, which will allow me to improve.

So now that I've finished boring you with the story about this thread, feel free to leave constructive criticism on my items. First up, I have this cloche hat called the Cloche Call that I've nearly completed. It's called the Cloche Call, because the pronunciation for cloche sounds an awful lot like close. I've compiled it into the game as a replacement for the Madame Dixie. I'm really happy with it so far, but I've been told that it needs brush strokes to make it fit the painterly style of TF2. I do have a version that has the brush strokes, but I'm very insecure about my painting abilities. My interests and talents seem to lie more with the modeling aspect of 3D, so I'm completely clueless about what to do with my brush strokes. Since it is suppose to be made of fabric, I'm afraid the wrong kinds of brush strokes could make it look like metal, wood, or some other material that I don't want my hat to be made out of. I'll submit any updates I make to my items. I'm also currently working on a chalice called the Malice Chalice, my take on the Kurgan's helmet, a hook for the Demoman that references the Candyman movies and is called Bee My Victim, and a fedora style porkpie hat called Picket's Porkpie (Picket is a synonym for spy, by the way).

Please leave me constructive criticism. Praise is okay, and it keeps me going, but it doesn't help me improve. Also, outright bashing doesn't help either. I'm new to modeling and to this community. I'd like to think we're all professionals here, and bashing isn't professional and doesn't help me improve either. I know you've seen better and I don't want to hear it. Besides...we've all got to start somewhere, don't we? I also have to warn you that I'm slightly autistic. That doesn't mean I'm expecting to be treated like I'm a special snowflake, it means that I have a tendency to sometimes misunderstand what people mean and also have a tendency to offend people without meaning to. If that happens, please be patient with me and kindly let me know. With that in mind...fire away.

Replies

• Colossal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a TF2 thread, actually. :)
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colossal wrote: »
    There's a TF2 thread, actually. :)
    I know there is, and I've been posting there, but no one's been giving me very much feedback. That's the whole reason why I made this thread.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    The reason you haven't been getting much feedback here is the same reason you weren't getting much feedback on TF2Chan. You offer up excuses for why you're not trying to push yourself and then you rely on others to hand hold you through all the difficult things.

Read some tutorials, practice, get some simple objects working in the game, and then start on something that you can really sink your teeth into, and not necessarily just for TF2. Honestly, making stuff for TF2 is a bad idea for somebody who's just starting in game art because it has a very specific, tightly defined style. If you only try to do things in the TF2 style, you're going to stagnate and not make any progress as an artist.

Learn how to make things that look realistic, examine real life things, understand how materials work both in terms of textures and how they move and interact with each other, and then you can branch out and do some stuff in weird styles like TF2's.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    The reason you haven't been getting much feedback here is the same reason you weren't getting much feedback on TF2Chan. You offer up excuses for why you're not trying to push yourself and then you rely on others to hand hold you through all the difficult things.

Read some tutorials, practice, get some simple objects working in the game, and then start on something that you can really sink your teeth into, and not necessarily just for TF2. Honestly, making stuff for TF2 is a bad idea for somebody who's just starting in game art because it has a very specific, tightly defined style. If you only try to do things in the TF2 style, you're going to stagnate and not make any progress as an artist.

Learn how to make things that look realistic, examine real life things, understand how materials work both in terms of textures and how they move and interact with each other, and then you can branch out and do some stuff in weird styles like TF2's.
    I'm sorry about that. I've had my hand held through most of my academic life, because of my disability, and only started parting from that since high school. I'm now nearing my fourth year of college, and I'm still not entirely use to not having people there to guide me through. I've been using tutorials and fending for myself a lot in college, since it's online, and the professors aren't always readily available, but things like compiling and learning the styles of other games is intimidating to me. Heck, anything that requires extensive experimentation is intimidating to me. With some things like that, I tend to resort back to needing people to guide me through. I'm sorry if I've been being a baby. I am planning on learning more about video game modeling and styles when I move on to my master's degree, and I do have a working version of my cloche hat compiled into the game, now. I've been doing great on my own in school so far, too, and I'm a fast learner. School does keep me busy sometimes, and since I'm doing this modding stuff in my free time, I need to ration my time so I'm spending more on school. I haven't been having this problem right now, since I'm still currently on Holiday Break, though. I'm really sorry if I've annoyed anyone, and I really do appreciate the help that has been given to me and I hope for more.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClocheCallNewAO.png
    To stay on topic and keep my thread from turning into a place where people critique me and what I'm like and not my work, I'm posting what my cloche hat looks like so far, now that I've worked on it some more. I fixed the smoothing groups, so the brim and the belt have sharper edges, and I fixed my ambient occlusion so it has more noise. I also have the brush strokes I was talking about earlier.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The biggest hurdle any new artist has to overcome is taking critiques personally.

If you're struggling with texturing, take a look at this thread
    Texturing for Team Fortress 2: A Short Guide

also study the textures that valve did and try to replicate it.

Lastly, preview your models on a neutral background, pure white or black is hard on the eye. When in doubt, 128 gray works.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest hurdle any new artist has to overcome is taking critiques personally.

If you're struggling with texturing, take a look at this thread
    Texturing for Team Fortress 2: A Short Guide

also study the textures that valve did and try to replicate it.

Lastly, preview your models on a neutral background, pure white or black is hard on the eye. When in doubt, 128 gray works.
    Thanks. I've looked at that tutorial, though, and it only covers metal and wood texturing. My hat's suppose to be made of fabric. I'm going to experiment, though, and look at the Ambassador's handle, since it seems close enough to the effect I want to create without the wood lines. I'll try and see what I can come up with and update with the results.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClocheCallNoisy.png
    Since I essentially needed to make my ambient occlusion more noisy, I tried just adding noise to the AO layer to see what that does. I'm not trying to come up with excuses and I have been experimenting with brush strokes...a lot...but nothing seems to look right for my hat. I've also been told by people here that the new hat textures only have ambient occlusion applied. If adding noise to the AO layer helps, then maybe that was all it needed. If I'm wrong, then let me know.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Reminds me of rasberry ice cream....Man i could use some of that.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of rasberry ice cream....Man i could use some of that.
    You have no idea how much that made me laugh and cheered me up. Thank you :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    129394938669.jpg
    In-game screen shots of my cloche hat. Special thanks goes to Rebbacus, who taught me how to compile and make the textures work in the game.

This shot is better looking than what you've posted in this thread, what's going on?
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This shot is better looking than what you've posted in this thread, what's going on?
    Rebbacus said she didn't like it, and she suggested separate smoothing groups for the edges of the ribbon and the brim. She also suggested brush strokes, which I wasn't sure how to do with the hat being made out of fabric, so I tried adding noise to the AO layer. She made it very clear that she didn't like the hat the way it was in those screen shots I took. Since I wanted the hat to look good, I just listened to her. I should've stopped when I was happy with it, which was the version in the screen shots, but I just didn't know if I was even allowed to be happy with it. Alia's been helping me to improve it, though. I've rearranged the unwrap and am now making a new texture for it following her advice about how to do the noise. I'll post again with an update as soon as that's done.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I'm the one that said some of the newer hats are only using AO. And that's because of the painting system... Really that's your choice if you'd want it to be paint able or not (I think it's a cool option and a good hat for it)

With only AO and a proper alpha channel your hat could be any color in game, if you don't want that that's fine too. You can always have an Ao layer in your PSD, then put blu and red layers on top with a blend mode (probably multipy) and you can test AO, red or blu that way.
    Honestly I have no idea how to test 'paint' in game, afaik your hat would have to be implemented by Valve, then you'd have to buy paint...

Three things would help for crits I think.
    1- give us a shot with AO only, so we can judge the base texture. IMO from the earlier shots the AO is almost non-existant. In the later one the contrast on it looks good, but the noise on the head band and flower shouldn't be there (They are most likely a lot smoother than the wool or cotton of the main hat).

I kind of like the noise on the main hat myself though, even though it may deviate a bit from 'tf2 material'.
    I'm not completely convinced you need 'color splotches' on that hat. Just because someone gives advice doesn't mean it's good (mine included). TF2 cloth IS NOT color spoltchy like metal is.
    Look at the sniper jacket, the pyro suit and suspenders, I see no splotchies. (I do see strong, rough AO though)

2- wire frames/tri count. A basic requirement to showing off models. That can help determine waste, smoothing groups, etc...

3 - i forgot what I was gonna put here... lol

As for crits I think you could do a few things to improve it.

1: the flower: You have a dark outline around the edge of the pedals, get rid of that. Get rid of the noise.
    Add a half/sphere for the 'pollen', right now the tex bleeds out on the leaves and makes it look weird, and a little shape there would help.

2: Use the alpha channel to get rid of all specular on the cloth (blu/red part), the shine makes it look rubbery in game. IMO it should all be one smooth group (no sharp edges on knit cotton/wool) and it should have no shine (black on alpha channel).

I think you either get spec or color change with the alpha, no spec is probably the better option.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    131110818015.png
    I'm making a court composer outfit for the spy and it's called the Candy Court Composer. I'm finished with the model and textures, but I need to know a few things before I make this into a mod. Am I on the right track if I want to make this into a replacement for the turtleneck? If not, how many other pieces of the spy's body should I include? Is it possible to make this into a misc item replacement mod, or should I just make it into a reskin of the character instead? In what order should I apply the bones to the skin modifier in 3D Max, or does it not matter at all?

Sorry I haven't been updating. I finished my cloche hat and my chalice, and even worked on a wig for the spy. That wig is the whole reason I'm making this outfit. I thought it would also look good with the Magistrate's Mullet. My stuff is mostly on my Deviant Art and on TF2chan in my thread in the Community Projects and Mods section.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    130221650074.jpg130456433025.jpg130456423316.jpg
    Guess it wouldn't hurt to post what else I've been up to. These are the completed versions of my cloche, chalice, and the new wig I was talking about. They're finished and I'm really happy with them, so I'm not looking for critiques on them. I just wanted to show them off. Please help me out with my Candy Court Composer outfit, though.