Home General Discussion

The ways of handling a project

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
So, I'm sitting here writing an 'Making of' for my marauder piece, I completed little under a month ago, and that has made me reflect on how I handle projects starts and what kind of "rituals" do I go through before I start making any art at all, and this has left me wondering, how do you guys handle projects?

Everything of course starts with an idea, but I believe that after that we all deal with it differently in order to motivate ourselves and gather all the needed information.
I myself like to wait after I get an idea, I don't immediately start working or gathering reference material. I let the idea sit in my head in order to see if I'm still excited about it a week later, in my case of the Marauder I had the idea in my head for a few weeks before even touching any 3d or reference connected to it. If the idea persist, I know it's something that can keep me motivated all the way through the project.

Another thing that's important to me when I handle projects is a well organized structure and naming convention, nothing sucks more then spending time not producing 3d because all your max files are called 'lolololol_01_autoback03.max' etc. This also persist in 3ds max, where I love to use layers with strong naming conventions that allows me work more efficiently.

So, what do you guys value most and how do you start up a personal project?

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    1. Get idea
    2. Decide it's awesome
    3. Thumbnail around to cement the awesome
    4. Sketch a concept out and fall into a pit of despair at the shit I have wrought
    5. Abandon idea for half a year
    6. Go back to 2