Home Technical Talk

Hard Surface Modeling Toolset

obliviboy
polycounter lvl 12

Replies

• Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    it's neat, and has some nice possibilities. i do like the beziers. but i'm not so sure it's practical for most people to work with so many vertices in the high poly cage.

we already get some fine control over creasing with catmull creasing, they're a nice supplement to traditional hard surfacing with control loops.

here's a similar example with far less geo. your plugin would come in handy for the finer details.
    catmullcrease.jpg
  • obliviboy
  • elte
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    maya has similar tools called zentools by dave belais http://dissentgraphics.com/tools/zentools/
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm pretty sure the biggest challenge as of now for Hard Surface modeling, are the bakes...
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting ...
    But with no demo and such a pricetag, it's going to be hard to tell if it is useful for anything more than deforming planes. Anyone tried it ?
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    pior wrote: »
    Interesting ...
    But with no demo and such a pricetag, it's going to be hard to tell if it is useful for anything more than deforming planes. Anyone tried it ?

Same here, I see interesting workflow, but showing a simple patch is like playing with nurb patches: very cool but not cool....

Showing on a more "serious" object may be a good idea. And yeah that price doesn't call me to "try" it, even more when there's two script that does similar thing with curves > to poly at a way lower price.

But if you want to continue on this path, try to make a port of rhino's T-splines on max and I may be interested, even at a high price.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Interesting ...

That was my exact reaction. I wonder how well it will fit into an actual modelling pipeline. Can you show some examples of working with the script on more complicated and less regular/perfect topology?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    By the way guys, on that subject - what do you think would be the best, smoothest solution to draw a nice optimized spline on the surface of an existing (roughly sculpted) object ? Is Advanced painter still the best choice for that kind of things ?

The best workflow would be : sculpt in Z or mud > sketch optimized splines on the surface of the mesh > Use polygon creator to fill in the surfaces. WIN!

P
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    I've though of that, but not sure if it's easily manageable on an organic model without too much assle. I mean you have to draw the basic topo joints, at that point any retopo tools that do "strokes" is ok. No ?
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Yup, totally.
    I am mostly thinking of applying this kind of workflow to smooth, hard edged "Scott Robertson-esque" mechanical surfaces tho. I mean they are really easily doable using a regular retopo workflow - but using a spline surfacing approach might allow for cleaner, sharper results maybe. Ill try Polygon Creator today to see what happens :)
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, totally.
    I am mostly thinking of applying this kind of workflow to smooth, hard edged "Scott Robertson-esque" mechanical surfaces tho. I mean they are really easily doable using a regular retopo workflow - but using a spline surfacing approach might allow for cleaner, sharper results maybe. Ill try Polygon Creator today to see what happens :)

Yep for curvy mech surfaces that would be really cool since with stroke type retopo you don't get the same gesture control (particularly on narrow edges where the verts snap on the sides not on the razor).

And I agree with Perna, the tool looks interesting, just doa demo with something cool and may consider buying it (but maybe not for a hundred bucks though)
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Also, why is the video private? Can't watch it.
  • havardsc
    Sounds super serious when you try to sell a tool for 100 bucks and removes it later.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Nothing in the first post? :(
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Alright, had to test out a few things (who knows, it might be compatible with the tool from the OP ?)
    Dusting off good old Surface modifier ...

surfacing.png

I wanted to use the Spline to Poly script posted above, but for some reason the trial didn't work for me. Maybe I had some traces left from a previous install.
    Anyways ... In the current retopo age, spline surfacing might become useful again ? I quite liked it, mostly because it somehow gets rid of the wobbliness that retopo on top of sculpted mechanical sketches often creates.