Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Female Technician

Hey everyone, I've been working on this low poly Female Technician, still a WIP but I've hit a snag. I've been staring at her for the last couple days and I feel like I'm missing something before I can move on to texturing and normal mapping.

GirlMashup001.jpg

GirlMashup002.jpg

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You must be having transparency issues because I cannot see it..
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added another loop around the waist and holster to add some curvy-ness since I'm still under my 10k tri budget. Also filled in that holster with a power drill.

Perspective_Legs_Render.jpg

Perspective_Render.jpg
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    I think my brain is being messed with right now.... try previewing your post before you post plz?
  • alpha_327
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alpha_327 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I'm not sure what you are doing when you post but there is no image here.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    The hills have eyes on this thread.. but definitely not me.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Dropbox isn't allowing other people to see the images you're posting, though I'm assuming you can see the yourself.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Dropbox isn't allowing other people to see the images you're posting, though I'm assuming you can see the yourself.

You can use Dropbox for posting images, but you need to put them in the public folder, rather than a photo album.
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I was using dropbox and yes they weren't in a public folder, just moved everything. Should work now.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    proportions need work- pay attention to your reference. What is she a technician for?- any reference for the design? it seems a bit disjointed. Currently she has; knee high boots, short shorts, a cape, a mic headset,mickey mouse gloves and a gun holster? Might want to solidify that.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her arms are way too thin and the face needs more work. Is she supposed to be stylized or realistic?
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her arms are way too thin and the face needs more work. Is she supposed to be stylized or realistic?

It's rather a bad habit to ask that question. Either way proper anatomy needs to be incorporated, then "stylized."
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    It's rather a bad habit to ask that question. Either way proper anatomy needs to be incorporated, then "stylized."
    Oh absolutely, I totally agree. I was just wondering whether he made her arms this thin on purpose.

Good catch though. I'll keep that in mind.
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »
    proportions need work- pay attention to your reference. What is she a technician for?- any reference for the design? it seems a bit disjointed. Currently she has; knee high boots, short shorts, a cape, a mic headset,mickey mouse gloves and a gun holster? Might want to solidify that.

So it looks like I'll have to work on proportions some more. This is only my first female character and I the reason for the design is to do a reimagining of pit girl from Monday night combat.
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »

So I found a better reference and made a lot of changes to my base model. I also changed her look into something more appropriate:

She is topless atm but I'm still trying to figure out what she should be wearing (perhaps and sleeveless shirt of t shirt or tank top).
    I also plan on adding knee pads as well.

GirlFront.png

GirlSide.png

I've reconfigured some of the edge loops to allow for a more defined jaw line and pushed in the bottom lip.

GirlFront_Face.png

GirlSide_Face.png

GirlFront_Face_Shaded.png
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work on your topology here for the face

08_bad_good_topo.jpg
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cooljay wrote: »
    Work on your topology here for the face

Is there a specific area? After looking at the picture I could fix above her nose but around her cheeks eyes and mouth the edge flow looks good to me. At least I think so, but I may be wrong.
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi gosseju. I'm no character artist, but I would agree with the others that you need help not only with anatomy, but also edge flow.
    I did some looking around and found this helpful wiki on polycount:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTopology?action=show&redirect=Topology
    It has some excellent examples for proper topology, and many other useful links to check out.
    I think you are off to a good start, especially for this being your first character. Keep going and keep it up!
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nose is way too small, the cheeks could be narrower, there should be an edge loop running on the bottom of her mouth to the bridge of her nose, not ending at her eyes, the eyelids could use abit more work. also work more on the edge flow like ey3les5 said. you need to make them as evenly as you can and make them loop together abit more smoothly, if thats the right word.
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did a lot of work on the topology of the face, thanks eY3lEs5 for the wiki link because it really helped.

So here's before:

GirlFront_Face.png

And how it looks now:

GirlFront_Face_Wire02.png

I also Made some changes to the body. Mainly the Chest and tried to add some definition around her abdominal muscles.

GirlPerspective.png

GirlPerspective_Shaded.png
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bow chica bow bow
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose that means I'm on the right track? :P
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think you're modeling more from misconceptions and not seeing how things actually are in reality. Forget everything you think you know about human anatomy and study the structure of accurate human references as if you had never seen such a thing before. You're missing important forms because either you assume what you're doing is correct or because you simply don't know the structure underneath and end up glossing over critical shapes.

Strip out all of that edge flow and take it to something much lower resolution and manageable. Forget about topology. Make sure your proportions are as close as possible before you even think of adding in details. Study some books on it and watch some youtube videos of people who really know this stuff well.

Put your model up next to a photo of a real person. Overlay them on top of each other. This should get you to having better proportions at least, but you still need to look further into the body's structure to get things to appear natural.

Anyway, don't be discouraged. I think most of us have made similar mistakes before.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hey, its not great but i did a really simple paintover of some things you might want to fix. just so the face fits a little better.
    you really need to use refs for facial features at first. also, learn to draw a skull siriously i cant tell you how much itll help
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai wrote: »
    I think you're modeling more from misconceptions and not seeing how things actually are in reality. Forget everything you think you know about human anatomy and study the structure of accurate human references as if you had never seen such a thing before. You're missing important forms because either you assume what you're doing is correct or because you simply don't know the structure underneath and end up glossing over critical shapes.

Strip out all of that edge flow and take it to something much lower resolution and manageable. Forget about topology. Make sure your proportions are as close as possible before you even think of adding in details. Study some books on it and watch some youtube videos of people who really know this stuff well.

Put your model up next to a photo of a real person. Overlay them on top of each other. This should get you to having better proportions at least, but you still need to look further into the body's structure to get things to appear natural.

Anyway, don't be discouraged. I think most of us have made similar mistakes before.

I'll be honest, all of the comments I've received aren't at all what I was expecting. I've been modeling for almost a year and I guess I thought I was better then I really am. I've looked at your website haikai, and I'm glad to get feedback from someone who knows this subject(Not syaing everyone else doesn't).

As easy it would be to quit I'll keep pounding away at this until it works.
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've re worked her whole look again; I've found better reference art to remodel her proportions. Her Face will need a lot more more especially with line flow, as well as other place but right now I'm just trying to get the figure right before I can move on.

GirlFront002.png

GirlSide002.png
  • kid908
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her face still looks odd to me; as does the butt.

Are you using any reference(s) modeling this or are you free forming most of it?
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    proportions are already looking a lot better from the reference you used, but still can be pushed. If you want that slim, atheletic look you might lengthen her legs. And yeah, butt looks huge.

Keep pushing the face's proportions. If you want a good flow map, I think Massbot's Kerrigan has amazing flow.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1374426&postcount=5745

Keep it up!
  • gosseju
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's been awhile I got to work on her but I feel like I've made some decent progress with the time I have. I've retopo'd her face including other parts, refined some of the pointy edges and worked on the hands. The hands do need some more work cause the fingers don't look right, too thin and triangular. Her face still needs more work, I changed the edges around a lot to try and get it to look good, but it still needs work.

After doing the work on her face I'm having a hard time with the chin leading into the jaw bone(and probably a few other areas too).

GirlWireFrameFront.png

GirlWireFrameSide.png

GirlWireFramePers.png

GirlWireFrameFaceFront.png

GirlShadedFaceFront.png
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Besides the topology being all wonky, the other thing that looks weird is the ears.

It looks like you just modeled them in side view and tried to connect them to the head.

They're not rotated forward like they would be in real life.

I also attached an image that helped me understand facial topology.

loops.jpg