Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] Time to update

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone Im workin on my portfolio and would love some input on how I could improve on the work that I have currently, or things that maybe I should add.

weather its the site, what I should show for the work that is there, or ways to improve my stuff.

thanks in advanced, any cc is always welcome!

www.hughmccullom.com

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Include the wireframe and the textures on your portfolio.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Website is fine although I prefer all large images rather than thumbnails. (Ignore my portfolio, I haven't updated in a long time.) Maybe it's late but images are taking a while to download.

But to tell you the truth, your texture work is good but what lets every single piece down is your lighting. I also think the cathedral is more striking and should be the first thing you see. Back to lighting, it's almost as if you've used the same light settings for each piece (minus cathedral) and it ruins your presentation. Where's the striking colours?

Take a look at these portfolios and try comparing screenshots and asking what yours lacks.

http://paulsvoboda.net/index.htm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4361936/folio/index.html

http://microwavetower.blogspot.com/

Other than that your architectural skills are impressive. But yeah, include wireframes and textures.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    The only thing I hate is when I click a picture and it opens a new page. I would suggest some sort of light box where the picture just opens over top of the page you are currently on. Kind of like how this gallery works http://www.abrownportfolio.com/Gallery.html I personally like that better than having it open a new page and then I need to either hit back or close the page all together.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Mgoblue, I think that's actually difficult to decide. Some people like to see the picture in the same website, but some people like to click on a lot of pictures and let them load all together while still browsing the portfolio. And afaik light box doesn't let you open pics in another window unless you right-button click on it and select open in new tab/window.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000: thats definitely at the top of the list

Habboi: yeah the house was still being finished by the time I started applying and I got the job before I finished and never looked back but now I want to get my work to a hire level. So I really need to focus on the light to enhance the detail.

Mgoblue412: I chose to have the images open in a separate window for the same explanation from Mik212, I guess I could have the images open over top of the portfolio so you could hit back but I think having the images load while you look at the site works a bit better, and I think light boxes limit image size to much

thanx for the help any other ideas are always welcome
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    unless you right-button click on it and select open in new tab/window.

Or middle mouse it like most people. It has been a long time since I've seen someone open tabs with right click :S
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I just learned something new :P
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Good work. You have a few too many shots of each piece on your site. You can knock them in half at least.

Lighting definitely needs some work in all your shots. The WoW style house could really be improved with simple lighting fixes and turning off SSAO.

Cathedral textures need some work. You might want to some vertex blending on that.

The jungle temple middle floor texture is repeating too much. The trees need a ton of work too. The up close shot of them is hurting the scene.

The building is cool. Prolly just show off the building on it's own without the city. Be nice to see it larger.

As far as the site design goes lose the banner. That seems pretty dated. Otherwise once you chop down the amount of shots of each piece down it should work a lot better.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I'm definitely addressing the lighting on the house first

The cathedral ill work on the textures and I want to make a few more peaces for it

the jungles textures and peace could use some some serious polish/ rework

as for the building, I did this project more like and architectural presentation but I would like the surrounding building to look a bit better so Ill be working on that as well

and the banner shall go I was thinking the same thing

Thanx jeffro
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NP man. You've got good stuff. Love to see more work.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Habboi wrote: »
    Or middle mouse it like most people. It has been a long time since I've seen someone open tabs with right click :S

Well. That's the thing, I have lightbox on my website too (ugh) and tried wheel-button clicking it, and it wouldn't open. I know some plugins work with middle-button, but I have lightbox on my site and it doesn't (unless it's an old version and I didn't update, which could be..).

That's why I said you had to right-button and look for the open in new tab option :P

Edit: I had to dig waaay back on my blog to find entries using lightbox (I just post 950px wide images now), but try middle-button clicking here:

http://mik2121.com/portfolio/3d/body-sculpt-study

In my computer doesn't work, at least.

Edit 2: Went to Lightbox JS' website:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/

It doesn't work there either :P For normal pics I know middle-mouse button works. But we are talking about lightbox here ;)
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha Thanx again jeffro, working on getting more up

Mik2121: Now that I know the middle mouse click I like my set up its simple
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update
    BlzTown01.jpg
    let me know what you guys think so far of some of the lighting work and mood
    I created a new ground some new grass and a new tree
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hard blend from grass to dirt to stones doesnt' really work. You might want to just do grass to dirt and then stone models or something. Not really sure.

I would vary up the tree size some as well.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Jeffro yeah I can build the grass back up to the path I also have another version of the tree ill be putting in along with adjusting the scale of the trees them self a bit more

working on a few more buildings too, ill post some of that later today

thanx all
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    created a couple more objects for the scene
    Well.jpg
    Cart.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The default lighting in Maya is killing your textures. I would look into Marmoset Toolbag or a lighting set up. It'll be much better than showing off with default lighting or no lights.

The wheelbarrow model isn't as interesting as the well model. Texturing-wise I think you might have a bit too much red in the wood parts. Otherwise they look good so far.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah just wanted to get the models up last night it was late and I was lazy and tired

the wood on the objects is the same as on the house so Ill recolor when I have them in the scene and the lighting is more finalized

cheers!
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone I did a big up date on my sites work would love some CC

www.hughmccullom.com

all comments are welcome
    thanks as always
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'd take off the contemporary building from the site, I doesn't feel up to par with the rest of em. :) Nice work so far!
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yeah i agree, what do you think it needs to get up to par with the rest of my work

I would like to salvage it if I can, Im working on creating better lighting on the buildings around the main piece so there less distracting

I feel like it shows my architectural back ground a bit more then any of the other pieces on my site so I would like to save it if I can