Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

old damged safe prop

Just been spending time modelling props for my portfolio, here is a old damaged safe which i modelled recently. Any crits

91YwQ.jpg

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    First of all, you should remove all "hair" like Scratches from your normal map, right now it reads like Fibber glass with sand on it, how many polygons you used on it? and i would dearly recommend that you make a proper UVmap for it ;)
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to get a more metal like feel to it try to use the metal texture in the spec and have a pretty flat normalmap instead. With that kind of normal you are using it looks more like concrete or something..
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comments guys, anything to help me improve i really appreciate it. The texture i have posted with the image is only for the door and not for the base. Becuause my model in made up of different parts would it be best for me to combine it then uv map it out so all the uvs are on one gride?
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey fuzzio, It would be a good idea to layout the entire uv's for the safe on one map. :)
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you sketch81 just what i needed to know
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yeah mate, all on one texture sheet, bake some ao and normal maybe? Dunno if you had a polygon limit for it or not? Also a specular map will greatly give it that metal look!

Also noticed that it seems the door has a bigger texture space then the sides etc. The sides look a bit blurry compared to the door. Getting there mate! Nice texture you got at the moment though!
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Your damage isn't really telling a story at the moment. It's quite a bad habit to just add rust and scratches without thinking about the why. Think about how the ageing of materials develops over time and where scratch marks are likely to be, ie... you might expect the door hinge side of the door itself to be a bit worn down from constant opening/closing, the bottom edges and sides might be scratched if it gets moved about, has it been outside? Has rain affected it? Did it used to be super shiny? It's good to add a bit "visual history" to objects like this.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys its really helping, Si there is no poly limit on this. At this stage im going to create a spec map, my latest image has only got the normal and diffuse map

PUOzR.jpg
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still work in progress
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, its looking better, but the texture still looks like if an angry maniac scratched the whole safe with a knife :P

Can we see your UVmaps?
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    it looks like you have 3 different scales of that texture going on, either that or your UV's are not uniformly scaled.
  • fuzzio
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just like i though, use a checker board texture to get the same density in all the sides. you can mirror the left side into the front one also, just put it on top of it, because it seems that its using the same textures for all.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    What Cap Hotkill said. It is important that you keep the same res for all your geometry. If not, you get blurryness like the sides of the front of the safe. It looks smudged and that just comes from the resolution of the UV space. So look at some other UV layouts and really think about it, you can use the space a lot better and you will be happier with how it looks.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys im going to give it a go now
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest you read and watch Racer445's tutorials about material definition and bringing textures to life.

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    get rid of a lot of those scratches in ur diffuse, and make them pop in the spec. itll look much better.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    take a few minutes to stop and think about this object. what causes scratches, usualy something rubbing against another object.. now think about the mass amounts of acidental rubbage it would take to make that many scratches on a really rough object. if you had a painted outer surface then maybe you would want some scratches to show the paint layer taking damage.. but even then only a fraction of what you have going on now.

also think of where things get scratched the most,, usualy on edges and protrusions. you have them runnin uniforly over every surface.

and most importanlty. look at refference
    mysterysafe2.jpg
    Old-Safe-1.jpg
    OldDieboldSafe2006-07.JPG
    even the oldest ones i can find only have a few hair like scratches, most of the age comes from discoloring and aging of the paints and metals.

also. i doubt your handles and dials would be made fromt he same pot metal as the safe body.

also. as said before keep your space uniform to keep texture rez even.

also. one of the hardest things for artists is to seperate what their memory of an object is, from what the actual object is. meaning use reference and dont just casualy go "hmmm i think this is what a safe looks like.

oohhh,, also.. WTF with the teeny house door hinges on that thing, who would make several inches of metal protection, then hold it together with quarter inche hinges.

'
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    dude get some reference and look at similar objects in other games and try to replicate and learn what they did and why, because right now that's "my first prop" rather than a portfolio piece.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I think you have too many fine details everywhere in the texture. References posted here have a nice saturation as well and differences between high, medium and low details in their texture. Just try playing it safe :) (Sorry just had to)