Home General Discussion

Approaching the 3D World

hamzaaa
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,

my name ist Björn (sorry it's hard to pronounce), I am 22 years old and I live in Germany. Recently I graduated from University as Bachelor. I did a course called "Digital Media: Animation & Games". In this course we got taught all the basics related to Animation and Games. Unfortunately I wasn't sure to specialize on something like modelling, animation or stuff like that, but that's what I wanna do now.
My passion lays within Computergames and 3D modelling, so my preferred path would obviously be modelling for computergames. During studies I got first experience on modelling but mostly for short animation movies.

My questions to you guys would be:

1. How and where to start learning modelling for computergames? (Tutorials, resources..?)
2. Do I need to have traditional Art skills to become a 3D modeller?
3. What are the best steps I can do next? (Learning by doing, theory work, internship..?)
4. Are there any independent remote projects where I can gain experience?
5. Is there any good literature regarding 3D modelling (for games?)
6. What else do I need to know apart from modelling?

I know many questions but for me as a newbie I have to ask question no matter what!
Also have a little gallery of my first ever made 3D models. Those weren't game models, those were made for an animated short.
Link: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3601726/2/3D/corner%20shop?h=f180a2
Comments and critiques are demanded

Thank you for your time and patience!!

Greets
Björn aka hamzaaa

Replies

• achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hey hamzaa -

a bachelor heyy? bow chica wow wow

ahem.

look at the polycount wiki for tips, tricks and advice..
    practice practice and post art.

just a heads up - your dropbox link brings me to a 404 dropbox page (I think you have to put the files in 'public' for others to see it/have access to...). Can't really comment about what level of competency you are at until we see some pics..
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge and personal opinion.

Here we go:

1) It all depends on where you feel you are with your CG skills. Since you've already graduated from a Uni, I believe another school is out of the question. If I were you, I would definitely take a look at the following online training material/tutorials: Eat3D.com, Digital Tutors, The Gnomon Workshop, Lynda.com, CGSociety.

2) It isn't mandatory to have traditional art skills, but if you do, that's only a huge plus. I know quite a few of 3D artists who can barely draw a stickman, but are pros in the industry. I myself am going for Illustration this year though.

3) Practice, practice and practice. And of course getting constant feedback on your progress. Once you feel your skills are good enough, you can join a mod team (they're always looking for members). Another good way to grow is, of course, through internships. Don't hesitate to apply for one! Once you break into the industry, it is easier to go from there.

4) Freelance projects are out there. Though you can find out more about it once you feel you have step 3 nailed down.

5) Again, it depends on what software you want to learn. And yes, there are 3D Modeling books for Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush, Mudbox, etc. Look them up on Amazon.

6) What is your goal exactly? Get your hands dirty in rigging, skinning, animation, concept art - you'll only benefit from doing so and become a more well-rounded artist. See what you like doing best and concentrate on it.

Study hard, and do the exercise like you were in class with the teacher. There are no shortcuts, however, the dedicated few will advance exponentially, but only by having the patience and discipline to follow through.

Good luck!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Your Dropbox doesn't seems to work.

+ 1 with Kot_Leopold! :)
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for your answers. Sorry, I screwed up the linkage..
    here we go: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3601726/2/3D/corner%20shop?h=db9e5e

My preferred program is 3D Studio Max for modeling. I also got some rendering, rigging and animation experience in Maya. I would be interested in tutorials especially for modeling game assets/characters in Max, but as a newbie I am like a sponge absorbing everything I can get :)
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    sry, but which school did u go to? wouldnt they have needed to clarify such stuff?
    GA and such want 20000 Euro for 4 semesters, i guess you could expect s uch basic information at that prize (or did you get into the htw in berlin??)

nevertheless, i'll try to answer a few questions:

if you wanna go into modeling for games you should pick one and start modding it.
    maybe you want to start with searching on moddb.com and ask one of the project leaders if you can join.
    from there on you need to focus on step to step to get your assets done and will learn from it.

u may want to send me a pm with msn / icq if you want, i'm german, too.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for your answers. If you have any more tips/comments/critiques whatever, feel free to shoot. I listen to everyone and everything :)

PS: Any comments on my first 3D models?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I suggest making a thread a la portfolio type in Pimping and Preview section, it's better so you can have an actual thread for your models only where people can input feedback.

As for the models, they look good, nothing to say really as far highpoly and wireframes go.