Home Technical Talk

Weird .tga file from the game

idaho
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
idaho polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,
A friend of mine unpacked some iphone game to get to the resources - just to have a look and learn some texturing and UV maps from the game. What he accomplished was to get the files from the packed udk resources file (the game was done with UDK for iphone). It looks like the files he got are fine - promising filesizes for example - but the display is wrong.
I have attached one of the files. As you can see definitely it does not look well. I tried googling but the only thing what I found was a clue that it could be a dxt1 algorithm packed tga file and I have no idea how to approach it.
So guys - please help - if you know how to open / convert this attached tga file - do not hesitate to share your knowledge!

tga sample:
http://www.2shared.com/file/I7Hqrpa0/test.html

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's a swizzled texture, usually you need to open it with a Notepad or Hex Editor, and find a specific header/pointer and either decode it or delete it to get the texture back to normal.

If it's Infinity Blade (which I don't think it is, since they use texture sizes upto 2K on most elements and 1K on lesser elements) then pending on how you extracted them, most likely the extractor will have had a special command line which tells you that the game is an IOS game, and you need to use specific command -X,Y,Z for it to do it's thing.
  • idaho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    idaho polycounter lvl 9
    I believe it's from save our sheep or something like that - some sheep game marketed not so long ago using the UDK engine.

I repeated friend's process and used the software from here: http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel
    so the extractor does not have any smart switches to make the life easier :( I'm trying to mess with the header but I'm still with nothing at the moment...
  • idaho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    idaho polycounter lvl 9
    Update (resolved):
    it turned out that umodel from gildor.org HAS a ios games extract switch!
    For all folks who want to learn something from production quality assets:
    - download umodel from goldor.org
    - copy .ipa file with ios UDK game, change extension to zip
    - unpack this zip file and locate UDK .xxx package files
    - run command line and use umodel accordinlgy: umodel -extract -ios filename.xxx

And it works great :)