Home Technical Talk

Smooth lines with tablet?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I love my tablet, but it seems that since you're placing pixels, smooth lines are hard to come by. I've seen people with basic concept ideas and they have such amazing smooth lines and I have no clue how they do it, my lines come out all herky jerky even though my hand for the most part is still. I can draw smooth lines on paper pretty well but the tablet is another story.

I usually use LazyNezumi which works quite well, but it doesn't get alot of hype so alot of people must not use it, so how do you do it?

Thanks!

In my google searches people have said this is a common problem, and its better to do it in another program or on paper and scan it in.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Yours, sounds like a best choice. Or you can go really slow on curves. for example.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLKv4T8teU&feature=related[/ame]

This is Adam Hughes inking his comic super girl. I hope this helps, since the concept is the same.

Though I would stick to the tool you are using.

People who do the refine work without any lazy brush are mostly using cintiq or raw sketchbook, and they go really slow in the process.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Feng Zhu lives here in Singapore so I've gotten to see him in action a number of times now. The way he gets smooth curves in Photoshop is actually the opposite of Adam Hughes, he does them fast. By doing a few quick "rehearsal" strokes before laying down the actual mark, and undoing and undoing until he gets it right. Doesn't take very long. The other key point is setting the spacing of your brush really low, so the sample points connect together more fluidly.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What tablet are you using, are the drivers up to date, what your tablet settings (if it comes with any, along with whatever program you're using to paint in), etc.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    yeah the key to drawing smooth lines in photoshop is to just do them quickly and not with your wrist, moreso your arm
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this the hardware/software issue where the line ends up super wiggly, or are you actually having trouble keeping your hand still enough on the tablet?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Throttle, i think its a little bit of both, on paper smooth lines are easy because of the friction.

Cryrid, im using a bamboo tablet and im guessing the drivers are up to date, it works fine in every other instance.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you need a perfectly smooth line you could just use the bezier tool to plot a curve then throw a stroke on it.

Otherwise, like Ceebee said, use your elbow. These things come with practice.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »
    Throttle, i think its a little bit of both, on paper smooth lines are easy because of the friction.
    Tape some toothy paper over the active area of the tablet. Preferably one with some weight to withstand abuse. The ancient Intuos I used to use had a glass-smooth surface, doing this was pretty much mandatory.

Make liberal use of the Rotate Canvas hotkey too.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Rotate Canvas ftw, I wish I had a Cintiq to avoid having to do that, but I would rather use paper than spend that much.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idk, the premise behind the cintiq seems nice if you're really attached to traditional drawing but personally I'd rather be able to paint without my hand in the way.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would advice against relying heavily on those lazymouse style of apps/scripts. Lazymouse is importaint in zbrush yes - because you have various performance issues, artifacts (bunch of dots) when making quick strokes.

As for drawing, you just need to develop hand-eye coordination with practice.

Also, make sure your brush is hard-edged, and tablet is driving it's size (and maybe 5-10% of opacity), so that you actually control lineweights.
  • _Erik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out Sai:Painting tool. It's great to draw smooth curves with and runs smoothly on shitty computers.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Feng Zhu lives here in Singapore so I've gotten to see him in action a number of times now. The way he gets smooth curves in Photoshop is actually the opposite of Adam Hughes, he does them fast. By doing a few quick "rehearsal" strokes before laying down the actual mark, and undoing and undoing until he gets it right. Doesn't take very long. The other key point is setting the spacing of your brush really low, so the sample points connect together more fluidly.

I was going to ask, isnt that how we all do it?

I mean, when doing the refine line work for our arts, we usually make few strokes and undo them until we are happy with one. (using Elbow) (artists at Digital Tutors uses this method as well).

The method I do it is, keep the transfer option on with pen pressure and opacity to 80%. That how I can match the strokes. =\ (using Wrist).

The method, Adam Hughes does it is he goes slow on the strokes. (using Elbow).

His method works if you are making traditional art, and maybe for Photoshop as well.

My method is for those who are new to concept arts on Photoshop. (though I do use Adam Hughes method sometimes and it works as well)

Anyways, the tool hez using at the moment is best for refine line work. I think. Its either that or alot of practice making curve/straight strokes.